AR-15 long flash-hider advantage?

WeedWacker

Just a quick question about the funky flash hiders people use to bring their total rifle length to minimum requirements.

Is there any advantage to it?

(Other than keeping you from paying $200, engraving, and waiting 6 months for the The Form to come back with approval and losing velocity in a cartridge that depends on velocity for performance. :p)

Last edited:

Ridge_Runner_5

Not really. The lower flash levels are about the designs and shape of the flash hider, not the length. Only benefit is style and, as you mentioned, length to keep the feds out of it...

demigod

Some of the longer models work a little better.... phantom, vortex, blackout, etc.

A2 flash hider is more than adequate for 99 percent of internut commandos.

jborushko

i figure its for the people that still want a flash hider but want to ride the 16" minimum rule as close as they can.

im impressed with the YHM 5c2 as a flash hider but its an addition to my 16" barrels (on my shorter rifles) not a 'to reach 16'

as far as an advantage.... you got me *shrugs*

tirod

Frankly, the 14.5" velocity and foot pounds loss doesn't convince me there's any advantage at all. It's largely for looks. They want a CAR or M4gery. It's certainly not about ballistics, other than a loss was acceptable to tote a shorter gun.

Some then move up to 6.8 to recover the loss, which it certainly does.

5RWill

I wanted a Length as short as i could go because i'm not old enough to qualify to fill out form 4. I will be filling out form 4 but mainly for silencers and probably one 11.5" AR build. I personally just really like the "look" of a 14.5 carbine or mid length versus a full 16. As for the funky flash hiders yes they do increase performance. After shooting my PWS SM556 I was amazed. The recoil was about like a .22lr. Which made it extremely manageable when shooting faster, and increased accuracy and realigning on the site. While that same day shooting my friends carbine 16" trying to actually manage the fire will keeping fast constant rate of fire, was rather difficult. Now that in part is due to carbine vs Mid length but the Flash hider helps. My FH also will accommodate a Gemtech halo silencer or Knight Arm Co. QDSS-NT4. I just like SBRs.

311qsf7.jpg

Last edited:

demigod

the 14.5" velocity and foot pounds loss doesn't convince me there's any advantage at all.

The velocity gain from going from 14.5 to 16 isn't worth the extra length to me.

It's largely for looks. They want a CAR or M4gery.

That used to be the reason for posers on AR15.com... but that fad is years gone. The 14.5 middy is about the best all around, general purpose set up in AR. They make 16" middies too, but the 14.5 seems to be more popular.