Ar-15 lifespan?

Shadow9mm

So some of my reading has got me thinking. All parts wear out over time. For me, that had me mainly thinking of barrels and bolts. However everything else will wear out eventually too, uppers, lowers, bolts, carriers, firing pins, triggers, buffer tubes, lowers. Everything eventually really.

So, how long will these things last?
Upper receiver
Lower receiver
Buffer tube
Bolt carrier group
Trigger?
Barrels are already pretty well discussed.

I would assume the lower would last the longest. But with steel pins for the trigger in an aluminum lower, that cannot be indefinite either.

How long, round count, will an ar's major components hold together?

This might be a good source of info (vs. opinions). They also use numerous color-coded graphs.

Don’t overlook their expected conclusion that avoiding overheating barrels (they were careful) prolongs durability.

;) Note that Despite the words "Torture Test", they monitored barrel temps and had they instead used the words "Endurance Test", fewer people might be skeptical of the contents.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Last edited:

armoredman

Mine? Probably never - I don't shoot it enough to wear it out. I expect my son will get some more use out of it after I take the dirt nap.

jcj54

AR15 durability

Competitive highpower shooters put a lot of rounds through their rifle every year. While they do shoot rapid fire in most every match, the times are 60 or 70 seconds for 10 shots, so they are not doing mag dumps. The many I know have never had an upper, lower, or buffer tube fail. They have worn out gas seals on bolts worn firing g pin tips, had triggers fail, and have worn out barrels.
One gent I know has had his match AR for 20+ years and is on his 8th barrel and second trigger. He has replaced gas rings twice a a firing pin once.

stagpanther

I bought a Core 15 from when they first opened; I've shot countless thousands of rounds through it (as well as many friends I've let "train" on it) and it's still going strong with 1.5" +/- groups at 100 yds, it came with 1:7 twist chrome-lined barrel and Giessele supercombat trigger. It's not fussy about how dirty it is or what kind of ammo I fire through it. As mentioned above--unless you trying to simulate full-auto mag dump against 1000's of zombies invading--a good rig should last reliably for a long time without wearing out.

MarkCO

I know of a few AR15s from the 1980s that are over 100K with gas rings, buffer and trigger springs replaced. Sure, they are shooting 4 to 5 MOA, but they still run. Lots of variables though. Ammo, gas length and round counts.

I'm on a 5th barrel in one of may match ARs, and it is well over 50K. I rebuild the bolt and change the buffer spring when I replace the barrel. It's cheap insurance. My loaner ASR15 for 3Gun classes is pushing 30K, melonited barrel still under 1MOA and I've only replaced the buffer spring.

Rebuild bolts, change buffer springs, maybe 15 to 30K range. I've only worn out one upper, and it had a lot of different BCGs in it, it was about 40K. Only worn out one bolt carrier, it was aluminum. Both of the bolts I've had break were used in that aluminum carrier too.

Ifishsum

The first lower I built for Highpower has a worn out bolt catch after probably 15k round count or so. But for half of our shots we are single loading in that sport, so I guess it makes sense it would wear faster like that.

The trigger pins are as snug as they ever were but the Geissele NM trigger has slightly oversized pins I believe. They have never walked on me.

As a matter of principle I do replace bolts and cam pins when I replace a barrel. The carrier stays with the upper though.

Crankylove

I’ve got a ‘73 Colt SP1, bone stock, with probably 50k rounds through it.

Nothing has broken, functions the same today as it did when new.

MarkCO

I’ve got a ‘73 Colt SP1, bone stock, with probably 50k rounds through it.

Nothing has broken, functions the same today as it did when new.

Impressive. I'd say though, that if you shot some 1973 ammo through it, might not lock back. Today's powders create slightly more pressure and gas volume, and with being overgassed in general, the gas rings are probably keeping up just fine.

44 AMP

Staff
I would assume the lower would last the longest. But with steel pins for the trigger in an aluminum lower, that cannot be indefinite either.

When dissimilar metals are used in moving parts, the softer metal always wears first, and more.

However, in normal operation, the AR hammer and trigger pins do not move. The only time those pins move in the lower receiver is when the someone removes and reinstalls them.

Yes, when you move a steel pin in and out of a hole in aluminum, repeatedly, it will, eventually cause wear to the aluminum part.

IF you are concerned about those steel pins wearing out the aluminum lower, the answer is simple, don't take them out and put them back in repeatedly.

It is not necessary, there is no reason to, and just because you can does not mean you should.

While I cannot speak to what is the current practice, I can tell you with complete certainty that in the 1970s in the US ARMY, neither the user (individual soldiers) nor company level support personnel (company armorers) were authorized or allowed to disassemble the lower receiver group, and doing so was a punishable offense.

I know of a few AR15s from the 1980s that are over 100K with gas rings, buffer and trigger springs replaced. Sure, they are shooting 4 to 5 MOA, but they still run.

There is no doubt in my mind that the military would send those guns into combat, as they are still within "serviceable" specs.

Back when I was in, the accuracy standard for overseas shipment of the M16A1 was 8 MOA (eight minute of angle) if the rifle shot that well, or better, it was qualified for combat (overseas) use. Under the standard, if the rifle would not shoot 8MOA (or better) it was to be retained in the US for training use.

Civilian owners get to set their own standards, and get to "tinker" with their toys as much as they want to. Sometimes this results in parts getting worn or even broken from user handling and not from firing cycle stress.

I'd say though, that if you shot some 1973 ammo through it, might not lock back.

This has me curious, why you would say that. In 1973, factory produced .223 /5.56mm ammo was one of two types. GI M193 ball or commercial 55gr soft point loads. Why do you think a 1973 rifle, built to run on the ammo of the day would malfunction on that same ammo today??

MarkCO

This has me curious, why you would say that. In 1973, factory produced .223 /5.56mm ammo was one of two types. GI M193 ball or commercial 55gr soft point loads. Why do you think a 1973 rifle, built to run on the ammo of the day would malfunction on that same ammo today??

Because the gas rings have 50K on them. They are worn some for sure. And I did say "might not lock back".

44 AMP

Staff
Yes, the is 50k rounds wear, on everything. and you did say might not lock back, but the owner reports flawless function.

So I am curious, why you specifically said 1973 ammo? Implying other ammo would work but 1973 ammo might not??

MarkCO

Yes, the is 50k rounds wear, on everything. and you did say might not lock back, but the owner reports flawless function.

So I am curious, why you specifically said 1973 ammo? Implying other ammo would work but 1973 ammo might not??

1973 ammo had less gas volume than current manufacture ammo.

totaldla

I'd be surprised if my lowly Ruger wears out in the next 20yrs of my usage.

I was on track to wear out a barrel before Covid, but my volume of shooting has really slowed down and the grandkids aren't shooting as much either.

I can't see how any of the other components are going to wear out from my 500-1k rounds a year.

Nathan

Do your PM’s. Field strip & clean after every few outings. Detail strip and inspect/clean….

Then, run to failure or early detected failure and replace.

It’s a tool. I don’t know if it is reasonable to determine component life as I suspect “infant mortality” is where you will see most failures. Any part over 1000 rounds that still inspects well should last a while. Triggers and accuracy life are always a concern, but are they? I think this can often be related to chasing 2lb triggers and bolt rifle accuracy.

imashooter

So some of my reading has got me thinking. All parts wear out over time. For me, that had me mainly thinking of barrels and bolts. However everything else will wear out eventually too, uppers, lowers, bolts, carriers, firing pins, triggers, buffer tubes, lowers. Everything eventually really.

So, how long will these things last?
Upper receiver
Lower receiver
Buffer tube
Bolt carrier group
Trigger?
Barrels are already pretty well discussed.

How long, round count, will an ar's major components hold together?

I7lk0qP.jpg

Crankylove

Impressive. I'd say though, that if you shot some 1973 ammo through it, might not lock back. Today's powders create slightly more pressure and gas volume, and with being overgassed in general, the gas rings are probably keeping up just fine.

I’m sure it’s got some worn bits in it, but that thing just keeps going, so it’s never been messed with.

It’s probably the only semi-auto firearm I own, that will literally function on any ammo you stick it. New factory ammo, old factory ammo, mil surp, foreign import, steel cased, light handloads, hot handloads, dented, dirty, corroded cases, polymer cases, HP’s, SP’s, 40 grain or 75, dripping wet with lube, or bone dry…………..it really dosent matter.