AR-15 kit

WeedWacker

This is a kit with uper and stripped lower. So what exactly does this need? If I got the RRA 2 stage trigger what parts are necessary to complete the lower receiver? I looked at a parts kit and it has a trigger and grip which are listed as parts in the kit. :confused:

Also (asked this before) what parts are required to have a FFL for shipping?

Trapp

Rifle kit does not include stripped lower

You need a stripped lower that you have to buy through an FFL. Nothing more, nothing less. It is quite an easy process, and directions can be found on a lot of internet sites.

WeedWacker

Alrighty then, I think my sleep deprived mind understands this concept. I would get a complete upper half, and the lower parts including the stock and grip but not the lower stamped receiver which contains the serial number and must ship to FFL. As in one of these

rockriverarmsstrippedlowerIIjpg.jpg

This is specifically a RRA stripped receiver. It is $165. Would i just be paying for a name if I went with this one in particular or does brand name really matter at this point?

Tacman

I've been building on DPMS for years (100-125 bucks). Got about 10 stripped lowers in my safe right now. No problems in any that I have ever built. I love to get to gun shows early just to hit the junk tables. Find parts pay next to nothing a lot of the time and have built a few decent little rifles for between 450 and 550 bucks. But, then you spend 1500 tricking one out so it all works out in the end. :cool:

finz50

I bought pretty much the same kit from Del-Ton a few weeks ago, plus the multi-tool wrench. Buy a stripped lower (bought a Doublestar from Bud's online for $99 + $25 FFL transfer). Go to AR-15.com and they have a step-by-step breakdown on how to assembly it (search for AR lower assembly). It was my first AR build ever and it took me about 45 minutes to get it all together and function checked.

WeedWacker

Thanks for the info. There is a gunshow going on on the weekend of the 30'th this (AUG)ust :p (sorry, I'm tired. get to sleep soon) I'll keep my eyes peeled.

moddek

can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to build an ar from kit? nothing to special just the basics

ChicagoTex

well, the kit costs $465 and all you need otherwise is a stripped lower ($100-$150 depending on where you look) plus some shipping costs and probably some transfers and taxes in there so call it $600 or so OTD.

That's without magazines however, which run $10-$15 apiece depending on what you get.

ChicagoTex

ok now do i really need any machining skills ... what all does it take?

I suggest you re-read the posts above and follow the suggested links, no machining skills are necessary for assembling an AR (unless you've been provided incredibly substandard or worn parts), furthermore most kits (including this one) have the upper pre-assembled - easily the more complex and tight-fitting side of the AR (though, using new/decent quality parts there are still no machining skills required to assemble an AR, even if it's seperated into every single tiny piece). All it leaves is for you to buy a stripped lower and insert/attach the necessary springs and parts - if you can carefully follow directions it can be done using nothing but basic household tools (pliers, maybe a screwdriver).

rantingredneck

I built my first lower a few weeks ago sitting in front of my TV watching Mythbusters. Took me about 45 minutes. I'd never done it before in my life. It ain't hard.

Mine:

Tactical Innovations stripped lower 120.00
Armalite Lower Parts kit 57.00
RRA A3 HBAR upper 455.00.
Milspec carbine buttstock kit 60.00

some taxes in that but all together around 700.00

moddek

cool i might have to look into that... that M&A company seems to have there stuff together...is there any disadvantages to building your gun instead of buying it?

moddek

ya i was thinking about that too...and if you really screw it up that bad you can always have a smith look at it i guess...but for me the 500 bucks is worth doing it myself...and makes it alittle more personal