AR-15 iron sights/scope

zoomie

Does anyone have, or can you take, a picture of their AR looking down the barrel that shows a setup that allows the use of iron sights and a scope at the same time? Flip-up sights, carry handle, whatever...

Follow up question: even if you don't have a picture - what hardware is needed?

Thanks!!

Lebben-B

My first question is: what type of optic do you plan on running?

For an AR with a permanent carrying handle (like a stock A1 or A2) you'll need a scout rail that mounts to the carrying handle. It'll be screwed into the mounting hole in the carrying handle and the mounting surface will be forward of the carrying handle. ARMS, GG&G, among others, make these mounts. They're also available from BEC, if you're on a budget. If you plan on running an EoTech, no additional mount will be needed, it comes with an integral mount. For tubular optics like the Aimpoint and it's clones, you'll need a ring mount that will screw onto the Aimpoint. These come in varying heights. You might have to experiment a bit or call the company (ARMS, GG&G, LaRue, et alia) to find out what they recommend. For a "flat top" M4 style AR, all that will be needed is the optic and it's ring. A proper co-witness set-up will have the front sight assembly in the lower third of your field of view as you look through the optic.

Mike

zoomie

Thanks for the reply...

I'd like to get an optic for predator/varmint hunting - maybe a 3x-9x. How is the cheek weld with an optic on top of the handle?? Is it too high to be useful? My thought was that I wanted the scope for obvious reasons, but then I wanted the iron sights still available for any close shots without having to find the target in the scope. My logic might be flawed - if that's the case, point that out, too.

fanoblack

If you're going with a 3-9 then just keep the power cranked down, that should help with finding the target at closer ranges. Then just crank it up as needed.

Another option is to have a QD mount for the Scope. Then just flip the lever and your scope comes off, allowing the use of the irons like normal. ARMS makes some QD mounts, I'm sure some others do as well. I would imagine this to run better on a flattop, but it will work for any railed system.

fanoblack

Lebben-B

I'd like to get an optic for predator/varmint hunting - maybe a 3x-9x. How is the cheek weld with an optic on top of the handle?? Is it too high to be useful? My thought was that I wanted the scope for obvious reasons, but then I wanted the iron sights still available for any close shots without having to find the target in the scope. My logic might be flawed - if that's the case, point that out, too
With a conventional 3-9x type scope you won't be able to get a true co-witness due to parallax in the scope. Your next best option is to get a drop-in picatinny/weaver rail for the carrying handle. All the usual suspects offer them. Most are hollow to allow use of the irons. Scope height above the bore is high. This can be cured by using low profile rings and/or a clip-on elevated cheek rest.

Another option might be with the scope itself. Would a ~1 - 4x shotgun scope suffice? Usually scopes like this are parallax free out to 50-100m, depending on the model and make. That would take the irons out of the equation since you could use the scope for close and middle range shots, sort of a poor man's Schmidt and Bender.

Mike

Chris Phelps

With a conventional 3-9x type scope you won't be able to get a true co-witness due to parallax in the scope.

He isn't asking about a co-witness setup. He is simply asking about iron sights and a scope on the same rifle.

OK now, to answer the question...

I run a 3-9 x 44mm scope mounted on the carry handle with a see-through sight rail. The transition from iron sights to scope is just a bit over 1/2". I find it to be a priceless setup, it works VERY well for me.

I don't have any pictures like what you are requesting right now (I am at work), but when I go home for my lunch break at 1030 I will take a picture for you.

This is my setup:

dscn1268.jpg

Chris Phelps

It's really hard to take pictures AND hold the rifle, so I hope this was good enough.

dscn1381.jpg

dscn1380.jpg

Co-witnessed sights look like this... except for the fact that there wasn't a rear sight on this particular one. (sorry about how dark the picture is... you can barely make out the iron sights.)

cowitness.jpg