AR-15: Gas Blocks and Free Floating Barrels

Siggy-06

I've done several AR-15 builds, all in 5.56, from pistol to rifle length builds. I wanted to build another now for more distance/precision shooting. Rifle Length, 18-20 inch barrel, full butt stock, ect.

My question is: Is there a gas block that doesnt clamp to the barrel and is part of the free float hand guard? Is there one that'll have minimal effects to the barrel if attached?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Mobuck

Trying to be nice but NO, you can't have a gas block not attached to the barrel. The transfer of gas at many thousands psi requires a very tight seal.
If you want totally free float, get a bolt action.

zoomie

There are some amazing groups/scores shot by competitors shooting ARs, so I'd say it's really not a concern.

If you wanted to try something more unique, you could go single-shot, no gas block. Get a side charger and it wouldn't be a big deal to cycle while prone.

FrankenMauser

Nope.
There aren't any.

If there were such a beast, it would eliminate the benefit of the free-float tube, by re-anchoring it to the barrel.

If you want to minimize the impact of the gas block, you can go with one of the lighter weight low-profile blocks. I prefer the Troy low-pros for .875" and .936" barrels.

CDR_Glock

I've done several AR-15 builds, all in 5.56, from pistol to rifle length builds. I wanted to build another now for more distance/precision shooting. Rifle Length, 18-20 inch barrel, full butt stock, ect.

My question is: Is there a gas block that doesnt clamp to the barrel and is part of the free float hand guard? Is there one that'll have minimal effects to the barrel if attached?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm starting a similar build. What trigger are you going to use?

I've adopted an Elftmann Match Trigger in two of my AR-15s. I'll do the same for the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiBC

Just an opinion,

No data to back it up: Properly attached,the weight of the gas block does not necessarily favor light weight. It may help tune individual barrel harmonics,but is a 2 oz gas block more accurate than a 4 oz? I'd have to see testing. For some barrels,the heavier GB may shoot better.

Mounted properly,the GB is pretty much integral with the barrel,and just some more free-floated mass. The gas tube is the only connection to the barrel.

Siggy-06

Decided on an 18 inch barrel w/ rifle length gas tube, still shopping around for a trigger. Probably gonna give the RRA Vamint 2 stage trigger a try. Trying to stick with a budget so I can afford some nice glass for the top rail.