AR-15 for CA resident...

Beretta Boy

I am looking to buy an AR-15, or variant before the January cut off date. Can someone help me pick out an inexpensive one? Or I have heard that I can buy a lower now, and buy the upper later... is that legal? possible? If so, that is what I am leaning towards... but what do I look for in an upper? lower? What's the best bang for the buck? Colt? Bushmaster? other?

Woody

There aren't any inexpensive AR anymore the days of finding a junker for $300.00 are long gone. Look to pay around $800.00 for one even a beater. Everyone is worried about Y2K and our goverments continued interest in circumventing our 2nd ammendment rights, and people are buying AR's, HK's, AK's, and FN FALs as fast as they are produced.

If you can find one I'd recommend buying a Bushmaster as they are probably the best gun on the market right now. The Kolts are hard to find and usually cost about $100.00 more than any of the other AR on the market.

You are screwed and so am I when it comes to waiting until after the new year as there are probably going to be quite a few AR's on the market when the world doesn't end on 12/31/99.

Woody

jwong

Woody is right. There are no "inexpensive" AR's anymore - especially in CA... I would buy either a Bushmaster or Colt. Colts will be a little bit harder to find, and definately more expensive. Colts do have a better resale value though. But all in all, if this is going to be your only AR then I would say to buy a Bushmaster. The consensus is that you can buy a lower now and buy the upper after Jan. 1, 2000. Keep in mind though, if you are going to buy the lower separate from the uppper it will be difficult to get them to have matching finishes and colors...

chink

Berretta Boy,
Your in stockton, Traders in San Leandro had Olys and Bushmasters for like 799, National Shooting Club in San Jose has some but dont' know how much.

Don't have 800 to spend on a complete rifle, get the lower before 12/31/99 and the get the upper next year. athe upper doesn't need an FFL and isn't tracked. BM lowers are 289 at Traders and NSC and I know NSC had at least 30 uppers 2 weeks ago

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Watch it about buying a lower and the rest later. No-one can really understand the bill right now. And considering Kalifornia's record with gun controll, you probably will not be able to build it up after the bill.

Onslaught

I agree with the first few guys. It is a fact that the only part of the AR that requires an FFL to purchase is the lower. I also feel that Bushmaster is THE best. I wouldn't trade mine for 2 Colts. If you absolutely CANNOT afford to get the whole gun now, buying the lower receiver will get you in under the deadline. All the other parts can be purchased anywhere, in any state for that matter. They just don't track the upper receiver/barrel assembly.

I too have seen Bushmaster and Olympic Arms full guns for just under $800. Good Luck!