AR-15 drop in triggers

Eazyeach

Hi there everyone. I would like to upgrade my AR 15 trigger. I want a lighter , smoother pull. My current go to rifle is a Colt M4 lower paired with a complete BCM upper. I only have one other rifle caliber AR 15 and it is just a spare. SW lower/Colt upper. My other AR 15s are range toys/ cheap practice. (22 and 9mm.)

I'd like to start hunting coyotes and groundhogs with my AR and I don't think I can get a good head shot with my milspec trigger. The home defense aspect of my rifle is almost purely fantasy as my pistol is more accessible. So I don't think I have too much to worry about as far as having "too light a trigger" for HD.

Can anyone recommend an after- market trigger? I don't have any gunsmithing tools per se , so I'd prefer something simple to install. Thanks for any and all advice.

DubC-Hicks

I really like the Rise Armament RA-140 trigger. Or if you want to spend a little more, the CMC triggers are nice as well.

roughneck266

Pricewise, it's hard to beat those velocity clones, Rise Fatboy tactical etc...
If money is no object I am a big fan of Geisselle, and JP. CMC is good stuff as well, and fall in between in the price range.

Eazyeach

I'm kinda thinking 2 stage. Brands I've heard good things about are geiselle, Timney, and RRA. This isn't something I'm in a super rush to buy so I can probably spend around $200 maybe a little more. And does Geiselle make a less expensive brand too? I've heard someone say" these are maid by Geiselle" but I forget what they're called.

ed308

Instead of spending $200 on a G's 2 stage, get the LaRue MBT for $124.99 (I can wait price). As good as the G's IMO. Excellent trigger even at LaRue's I need it now price. The less expensive trigger is the ALG Combat. Single stage and not all the good IMO. Timney singles stage triggers are way better but more money.

BigBL87

As mentioned, ALG Defense is the sister brand of Geissele. If you want a Geissele at a lower price, check out their G2S trigger. I went with one for my AR and it is the single best upgrade I've made. It is in the same price range as the LaRue MBT. Other than that, my other thought would be the RRA 2 Stage Match.

HiBC

IMO,for purpose of shooting coyotes...the "nuance" of finer degrees of trigger
is irrelevant. I'm not saying a crrepy,grating,over heavy trigger is something to accept.
I'll say that to shot very well,one aimed shot at a time,A Rock River two stage match trigger is one of the least expensive,and will not leave you with any excuses.I'm completely satisfied with mine. These two stage triggersmay have a final break of about 3 1/2 or 4 lbs,but it will be about a 2 lb takeup and then a 1 1/2 lb nudge.You get a nice,light break without a 2 1/2 lb trigger in the field.

IMO,if you are into very rapid fire,the lack of reset/takeup on a single stage may be an advantage.

It gets further nuanced down to breaking carrots or glass rods.

Its a coyote gun.I suggest you look at a Rock River.You might go to White Oak Armament and notice the triggers he stocks for match rifles.

Panfisher

I put an ALG into my AR and it was the best thing I did for it. Keep an eye on Midway, think mine was in the $70 range a few years ago, but memory sometimes not so good.

stagpanther

There are so many variables it's hard to pick one, and tends to be subjective--what matters the most is what YOU like/want in a trigger. I've tried many of em, I like JP's but you really have to know what you're doing on the install compared to modular drop-ins, but they have one of the best "feel" of any trigger I've tried. My current fav is Jard--I like their design, robustness, function and reasonable price point.

Mobuck

If all you want is a basic but smoother trigger, the ALG QMS or PSA EPT will work for $30-45. I use both and there is a significant improvement over mil-spec. A lot of my varmint hunting is during cold weather so having a "too light" trigger may not be the best choice when hunting with gloves.

stagpanther

A lot of my varmint hunting is during cold weather so having a "too light" trigger may not be the best choice when hunting with gloves.
Exactly why I like 2-stage 4.5 lb triggers on my hunting AR's--though some people like lighter ones--I have inadvertently let one go when I didn't intend to.

turtlehead

Hard to beat the price on the LaRue MBT-2S. 4.5 lbs. Perfectly crisp. Made of tool steel. It will outlast us all.

But it took 10 weeks for mine to arrive. Probably much shorter wait times now.

The Geissele SSA-E is a half pound or so lighter and I can feel the difference. But it's about $75 more.

Once you have a truly fine AR trigger you will not want anything less.

CDR_Glock

I have Elftmann competition triggers in 2 AR rifles. They adjust from 4.5 to 2.5 lbs. single stage. Best triggers I've ever used. I'm assembling a Precision rifle in the next month with another Elftmann. Short reset and no pretravel.

I have a Timney in a Tavor SAR. Awesome drop in trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk