AR-15 build recomendations

Ac1d0v3r1d3

Alright, we wont name names here, we wont place blame. Lets just say that some unmentionable person on some unmentionable thread has some how convinced me to pick up an AR to use as a target rifle, since they're capable of 1moa and all.
I've always told myself that if i was gonna buy another AR I'd have to build it myself. So here we go, I've read up on it some, but i'll still need recomendations right?

I'll want a match barrell and match lower, yes?
I'm going to go with .223, no weird calibres for me thanks.
If any of ya'll built your own i'd like to ask you for links if you bought your hardwear online.
Will i want to go with a stainless barrel? Twist? Length? Bull? etc...

Thanks

VUPDblue

I'll want a match barrell and match lower, yes?
I'm going to go with .223, no weird calibres for me thanks.
If any of ya'll built your own i'd like to ask you for links if you bought your hardwear online.
Will i want to go with a stainless barrel? Twist? Length? Bull? etc...

Match barrel-definitely. Match lower-???whats that???
You would want at least a 24" barrel and maybe even a 26" barrel. 1 in 7 twist for longer ranges and heavier bullets. Stainless barrels are among the highest in quality and you would be happy with one. By match lower, I presume that you want a national match trigger group. That would be preferrable on a precision rifle. Check out White Oak Armament for some very accurate uppers and upper parts.

shooter_john

Check gunbroker.com for a seller named jacksblackrifles or either jacksblackrifleshop, I can't remember which it is. He carries milspec A3 (flattop) uppers for $89, which is about the best I found anywhere when I was building my rifle. I built a carbine with a Rock River Heavy M4 barrel, and it shoots MOA, so your match set up should do great! ENJOY!!!

Here's a link to one here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60209450

Here's his correct seller ID:
Jacks-Black-Rifle-Shop

DnPRK

Krieger 1:7.75 barrel, free float tube, Geissele 2 stage adjustable trigger, 1/2 MOA rear sight with replaceable apertures and 75 or 77 grain match ammo.

OneInTheChamber

There are tons of post like this already on here.

Try ar15.com and use their search function. There are thousands of posts there like this.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

VUPDblue

i dont exactly know what a match lower is.... haha i've seen them for sale on Gunbroker tho.

OneInTheChamber: Thanks for your input

shooter_john: Thanks i'll take a look at his shop.

DnPRK: How much is all that gonna cost?

gac009

Just about all lowers/uppers will shoot the same. Stick with known brands and youll be fine.

A 20" will be fine.

A stainless barrel will be easier to clean and a bit more accurate than a chrome lined.

1/7 twist for your longer/heavier bullets.

Personally if it were me Id get a

stainless 18" midlength barrel
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?domain=noveskerifleworks.com&cat=17&page=2&keyword=&since=&status=
A good match trigger, good solid mil spec buttstock and a free float forearm.

For everything else it dosnt really matter just get solid parts from any of the major manufactures. All that matters is that the trigger and barrel are good and that the stock dosnt move when you shoot. Everything else just has to work.

P-990

Depends. Do you want to use it with a scope? Irons? Long range = 300 yards? 600? 1000?

If'n you wanted a rifle to use with irons out to 600 yards, the quickest short cut is to pick up a WOA upper (from the White Oak Precision link above) and mate it to a lower. Any lower. All you need is a good trigger and functioning parts on the lower.

If you're going to use a scope, get a 24" stainless steel barrel, with a 1-7 or 1-8" twist, floated in aluminum handguards (or whatever suits your fancy, just float it), on a flattop upper (correctly called an A4, NOT an A3), and mate it to the same lower.

John Holliger at White Oak will sell or tune for you a 2-stage RRA trigger. Not as trick and slick as a Giessele (which I've heard is the ultimate AR trigger), but it can be made to work pretty well anyway. And if you're not shooting it as a Service Rifle, you're not limited to a minimum 4.5-lb trigger either.

For a lower, it seems as though any good, known brand one will work. As long as the upper fits. Don't fret over a little play between the two parts, and if it bothers you that much, just stick an Accuwedge in it.

Those of you who have AR's, how many have a .223? and how many have a .308? I've long considered getting a RRA M4 in .223, but have recently started to think that .308 is the way to go. The differential in ammo cost is not significant and the .308 has significantly more knock-down power. Your thoughts?

VUPDblue

I have an AR in .223, another in 9mm, and yet another in .22lr. Not to mention a slew of uppers in various calibers. While it is true that the .308 does have a bit more 'knock-down' power, the .223 lowers are a bit more versatile because you can add many different caliber uppers without difficulty. In many cases, the standard .223 mags work with these other calibers. The .308 AR lowers are not as adaptable with other uppers because of the magwell difference. If you want a .30 caliber AR, you could get a .223 standard lower and then get something like a .300 Whisper (300-221) upper. Or you could go bigger and get like a .458 SOCOM or a .50 Beowulf. All these use standard GI mags and standard lowers.

DnPRK

DnPRK: How much is all that gonna cost?
Buy as you can afford it. That's what I had to do for mine. Took a couple years to upgrade. The biggest payoff in accuracy was the free float tube.

Kreiger = $350
Geissele = $279, although LMT makes a good 2 stage trigger at $140
Free float = $50 to $350 depending on what you want
1/2 moa sights = $150

Desert Heat

You will want a floated, 20''-24'' stainless 1 in 7 upper. (do the research to find out what you like and want)
You will want a 2 stage, smooth pull trigger.
You can not spend enough on optics, get what fits your style and budget.
A stock that matches up with the upper and gives you the length that you need.
If iron sights, get what you think will work best for you.

Reload your own ammo or get some good Black Hills or hornaday.

All that is for starters and then you can take it from there. Every rifle is different and needs different adds and adjustments to do what you want it to do.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

Del-ton

what do ya'll think of Del-ton, Inc? i was looking around on AR-15.com and saw some builds from kit guns.
Well i went to their site and you can pick out all the different options you want in your kit and see what the different prices will be and stuff. pretty cool.
Anyway i'm thinking thats the way i'm gonna do it. Seems like i can get just what i want for around 700.

Then i need to buy a reciever right?

RevolverLover

what do ya'll think of Del-ton, Inc? i was looking around on AR-15.com and saw some builds from kit guns.
Well i went to their site and you can pick out all the different options you want in your kit and see what the different prices will be and stuff. pretty cool.
Anyway i'm thinking thats the way i'm gonna do it. Seems like i can get just what i want for around 700.

Then i need to buy a reciever right?

From what I hear, Del-ton kits are very nice. And yes you will have to buy a lower reciever.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

awesome, thanks for all the help.

Now, optics.

How's the acog or aimpoint at 100 yrds? Are the Acogs really worth the price?
Since this is a "target" rifle should i just go ahead and get a traditional scope for it?

RevolverLover

How's the acog or aimpoint at 100 yrds? Are the Acogs really worth the price?
Since this is a "target" rifle should i just go ahead and get a traditional scope for it?

If this is for target shooting then you will want a traditional scope.