AR-15 Bottom Blows out video

zinj

Seen it before. The general consensus seems to be that it was a squib load where the bullet was stuck just past the chamber, close enough that it prevented the gun from going fully in battery. His multiple attempts at charging the gun and use of the forward assist either pushed the squib far enough forward to allow full lock-up, or the bullet is the fresh cartridge was pushed back into the case. He's lucky he still has his face and arms.

OlympicArmsFan

Thats scary man and with my kit gun that I just did im glad I had it checked out but this still scares me. I think he should have stopped and checked it out more before hitting the forwared assit.

Should you have to hit the forwared assit when you chamber a new round like that. I have watched many video's and have not seen this done.

I have not shot my AR yet but look forward to doing so but that just made me wake up and take notes and watch more and check it out if I have a bad problem like that.

I have seen a video of an AK blowing the top cover off this video was done in iraq.

TheManHimself

It should be common sense that if a rifle's bolt won't go into battery, beating it into placed isn't a particularly good idea.

The forward assist is intended to be used to help chamber a dirty round if needed, or to close the bolt silently if noise discipline is required. Hammering away on it when something is obviously wrong is just stupid.

ndking1126

The weakest components of the rifle is where the pressure was released. The mag obviously doesn't fair well, but do you think any other parts were damaged?

It looks to me like the machined parts of the upper are able to withstand more force than the mag resulting in the mag breaking apart, causing all the force of the explosion to be channeled down saving the dude's face and hands.

Was the mag specifically designed to be weak in case this very thing happened?

Obvoiusly I don't know much about AR's, but that was very interesting.

(I would never wish that upon anyone, but since it happened and was video tapes, I definitely want to learn from it.)

OlympicArmsFan

Thats a good point in the mags where they made to be the weak point and if so what about the mags that are supposed to take a lot of abuse makes you rethink the whole thing on USGI mags.

I wonder what happend to the other parts in the gun.

PDXGS

Yikes

Im not certain of all AR lowers but I have a Next Generation AR and another lower that has additional milling in the corners of the mag well that will/should allow for excess pressre in a blowout to vent without destroying the magazine in the process and like causing further injury to the shooter. I'd hate to prove that this additional milling works but it makes sense to me.
J

OlympicArmsFan

I think the guy yelling and doing the filming should have stopped him and taken a look at what in the heck was going on. That could have really been worse then it was.

What would have happend if it was a PMag (I think I have that right) would it have blown out like that or would it have been worse.