AR-15 Bolt carrier group question

BIG P

I have a Stag arms AR-15 that Ive had for a number of years 10 plus.Its a 20'' barrel. A friend gave me a spikes tactical M16/ M4 Nickel boron style BCG. was wondering if other than being new is there any benefits to this BCG from the stock ones.It is very slick an shine alot also came with a charging handle ext.just wondering if these parts are a good up grade or not.I know you guys will know. Thanks y'all

Mobuck

Wow, nice friend.
Truthfully, I wouldn't swap bolts in a 10 year old rifle unless the old one had a problem. Swap the bolt carrier-maybe. Just my opinion but if the rifle is working I see no need to mess with it just because a different part looks nice.
My suppressor AR has a NiB BCG (replaced the original BCG when the rifle had less than 20 shots)and it is nice to be able to just wipe it off. Changing a worn in part just for looks is a whole different story.

Ibmikey

I have a Spikes in one of my AR's and it runs smoothly and cleans slightly easier than a phosphate unit. I am a fan of the ni boron/nitride BCG's from Aim and have a dozen or more running in my AR's without any difficulties.

Ibmikey

Destructor, That is what I keep saying and now there are twenty five in the rack and I found a nice barrel in the parts drawer this morning!!

BIG P

Thanks Guys,There was nothing wrong with the stock parts at all.I had about 8000 rounds through it.Its hard to turn down new parts when the price is that right.I dont really care about the looks I'm all about the performance and it seems to run really well.And the Coyotes and pigs dont seem to mind either.I almost have the stuff to build another AR Im thinking 6.8 this time.thanks for the input guys.

Mobuck

"I had about 8000 rounds through it." In that case, I definitely wouldn't just swap in a new bolt. Get a new barrel and then use the new BCG.

Regular Joe

The OP sez he has a new bolt CARRIER. Now, 2 guys have told him that they wouldn't change the BOLT. That's not what he's talking about, at all.
If that barrel has 8,000 rounds thru it, I'd bet that you can't keep 10 rounds in 10" @ 200 yards.

BIG P

Mobuck@ Reg Joe, I had changed the barrel a couple of months ago just have'nt used until now,Its just My backup gun.shot it today everything works great.

Mobuck

"The OP sez he has a new bolt CARRIER."

BCG is the entire assembly-carrier, bolt, cam pin, firing pin, and FP retainer. Just FYI

OP-glad it worked for you.