AR-15 Barrel Nut Question

WhyteP38

I'm installing a barrel to my upper, and I'm running into a problem.

When I tighten the barrel nut, the wave washer and snap ring get out of alignment with the gas tube hole. By using a small piece of rod, I can wiggle the wash washer into alignment, but moving the snap ring is a no-go. I expected some difficulty in keeping things aligned, so before installation I lubed the groove where the snap ring goes, but the snap ring won't budge.

What's the trick behind getting everything lined up?

Thanks!

DnPRK

Push on the end open end of the c-clip with a punch. Don't be gentle. It will slide around the groove.
c-clip -> C\ <- punch

MisterPX

Tkae the c-clip loose, so there's no tension on the delta ring spring. Torque your nut, then install the spring and c-clip.

USMCG_HMX1

Do NOT overtighten the barrel nut or you'll warp the barrel index pin and end up with a major windage problem later on.

Kris

WhyteP38

Good info; thanks.

I have my torque wrench ready, I know to put anti-seize on the threads and do the "3 times tighten to 30-foot-pounds, then start at 35-foot-pounds" drill, and I've heard you don't want to go past 80-foot-pounds. That 80 part makes me wonder. Is that number real or folklore? 80-foot-pounds sounds like a lot for a steel nut on an aluminum thread.

44 AMP

Staff
Never heard of 80 ft/lb

1977, M16A1, GI specs were to torque to 35-40 ft/lb and then tighten to line up barrel nut for gas tube. And that is what we did, as I recall. Bolt carrier key screws were torqued to 35-40 inch/lbs, and then staked. Buffer tube was, I think about 35 ft/lbs. Been a long time, I may be a little off on the numbers, but I do not recall 80 ft/lbs on anything on the M16

SSN_Doc

The 80 ft/lbs is a "do not exceed" limit.

Torque to 30 ft/lbs, back the nut off, repeat to 30 ft/lbs, back off once again and torque to 30-35 ft/lbs and then proceed to tighten until the gas tube notch is aligned, but do not exceed 80 ft/lbs.