AR-15 barrel install question

7jinxed7

Im installing a new AR barrel on new Receiver. My book says to torque barrel nut to 30 ft lbs and install red loctite around barrel were it mates with the receiver. Then it says to install anti seize on the threads. Is it necessary to use the red loctite? I've never heard of that on the other installs i've seen on forums and online. It says it's for a stronger mating between the receiver and barrel.

10-96

There was discussion about loc-tite here a while back, and I'm thinking those who do that are in the minority of the AR barrel putters inners. Me? I wouldn't.

Striker1

Well what would you do if you later decide to remove the barrel?

Me, I would not put it on.

What manual are you using for directions?

7jinxed7

update 30 ft lbs was incorrect. That was only the first step. It actually called for 30 back it off and back to 35lbs and then apply a little more if needed to align the groove to the port. In my case it was about 38 to 40 lbs.

Yeah thats what i'm worried about Striker. How would you would get it back out later if needed? Heat it maybe.

Im using The Complete AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide vol 2. It seems pretty thorough,but this is my first build.

Last edited:

7jinxed7

Well a book is just one persons opinion anyway,the aurthor. Some are good some are bad.
I did look into a few different videos and such. Midway had a video that did NOT call for it.
I don't think i'll use the thread lock. I don't how it's supposed to work if it's not on the threads anyway.

rbernie

The goal is to use LockTite to take up the room between the barrel extension and the inside of the receiver ring, and use anti-seize on the external threads of the receiver ring to keep the steel nut from galling onto the anodized aluminum receiver threads.

Truth be told, I do not like the idea of LockTite, unless you're really concerned about wringing that last wee little bit of accuracy from the gun. It certainly would seem to complicate disassembly.