AR 15 1:9 twist Ammo

Dan31

So I have the rifle picked out but which ammo is best suited to it? 16" barreled Stag Arms 3L with 1:9 twist. I have seen everything from very light bullet weights up to heavier stuff near 100 grains. I'm sure anything will do for just range time but what about home defense?

NWPilgrim

A 1:9 twist should be able to shoot anything at least from 50 gr - 68 gr. Some can shoot the 75 gr OK.

It depends on how much you want to spend and how densely populated is your area. A basic round for SD would be a 64 gr soft point like the Winchester Super-X Power Point, or Federal Power Shock. Or there is the Hornady 60 gr TAP polymer tip. These would be better for more populated areas, if you are going to use the rifle.

A premium load would be the Corbon DPX or Black Hills with 62 gr Barnes Triple Shock X, which would be superb all around SD round, especially where your neighbors are not too close as it would penetrate better than most. A much more affordable alternative for this role would be the Federal Vital Shock with 60 gr. Nosler Partition SP, or Federal Fusion 62 gr bonded SP, or Remington Premium CorLokt Bonded 62 gr.

All of these are available at Midway, as well as other online or store front shops.

kraigwy

1:12 shoot < 55 grns
1:9 shoots < 68 grns
1:7 shoots < 90 grns

You can shoot lighter bullets out of a faster twist better then you can shoot heavier bullets out of a slow twist.

Pretty much any twist & any bullet will shoot to 100 yards. Its when you move to 300 + where you see the the difference.

The Army shoots 223s (5.56 for nit-pickers) in 55-77 grns (80-90 in competition) but they use 1:7s so it dosn't matter to them.

zombieslayer

My minis both have 1:9 barrels and they LOVE 62gr 5.56's. So did my AR's with the same twist.M855's are my load of choice...

Danny45

It's really going to depend on your barrel. True 1 in 9 barrels like the light stuff best. Sometimes, you get a 1 in 9 that really is closer to 1 in 8, and they shoot just about anything really well. 1 in 7 is best for 55 grain and up.

deadcoyote

I agonized over twist rate in my own build. I ultimately found its alot of what your rifle likes as well. I went 1:7 and it shoots 69 grain better than 55, 62, and 75 by the same manufacturer. Just experiment with a bunch of types and find what your rifle likes.

Bamashooter

i reload 60, 65, and 69 grain sierra for my 1/9 twist ruger and it shoots them all very well. i have shot some 75gr. and it seemed to shoot those just as good as it did everything else. my most accurate load is the 69gr with IMR-4895 powder. honestly i have never shot anything under 55gr. out of my rifle. im a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets.

NWCP

I own two ARs with a 1 in 9 twist. They seem to favor 52-68 grain fodder with 62 grain working particularly well in both.

A_Gamehog

1-9 twist in my DPMS AR-15 .223, and Savage Bolt .223 both shoot:

34 grain Dogtowns-75 Hornady match HP.

Best loads are with 60 Grain V-Max Hornady stout load of Varget.

Even the Longer 70 Grain Barnes TSX (Crimped) into the first band.
3/4MOA