AR-10 Question

glockguy45

Just wondering for those that have fired the AR-10 if they liked it and would recommend adding it to a collection???

AR-10

Works for me.:)

Depends on what you like. I liked my AR-15 and wanted a similar rifle in 7.62X51. That is exactly what an AR-10 is. It's bigger and heavier, but the ergonomics are the same. Same manual of arms.

Recoil is mild. Muzzle blast is severe. Acuracy is very good, I am told.Some day I hope to shoot mine well.

Mags are expensive. Ammo is cheap. Black is sexy. Fun factor is high.

RH

Ha, ha. I had to post to tell you guys, I opened this thread thinking the author was asking about the A-10 - you know the Thunderbolt (Warthog), depleted uranium shell firing tank killer.

Yeah, I would like to shoot one of those! A "keeper" fer sure.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Glockguy,

The rifle experts hang out over at The Art of the Rifle.

I'll move your thread over there and you should get many, many responses on THIS thread!!

Target Shooter

I have the AR-10A4 (Flat top) with a 4x12 scope mounted on top. Bought it back in 1997.
With a good set of reloads I can comfortably keep 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards.
My best 5 shot group is .407" at 100 yards.
It's a great rifle.

TS

mpthole

I have an AR-10A4 Carbine, flattop with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope on it. I really, really like it! :D I recently bought the carry handle and front site for it and am looking forward to shooting it with iron sights, but still have the option of putting the scope back on.

Magazines are definetly expensive, once you have one that works - hold on to it! I've got a couple that I'm trying to work the bugs out of. If I absolutely can't get them to work, I'm sure ArmaLite will make them right for me. They have very good customer service from my experience. [ Note: Like anything else, politeness pays off. I've seen and read threads on web boards that would just RIP ArmaLite a new one for something and then expect them to happily send them a free replacement part. I don't think it works that way. ]

The AR-10 was my first AR. I bought it before I really knew anything about AR-style rifles, but was literally "sold" on it at a gun store. I was ready for some firepower and I sure got it! I don't regret the decision one bit. Since I bought the AR-10 I've also picked up a Colt and a Bushmaster, both excellent quality rifles. I plan on getting the -10T someday, but no funds right now since I just got into the .50 BMG world. Someday though, "It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine." ;)

Its a must in anyones collection!

Stephen Ewing

I'll agree with all the nice things said about the AR-10 here. I'm really developing a great deal of affection for mine.

The only thing I'll take issue with is to correct the fella with the same name as the rifle: GREEN is sexy. ;)

Steve

uglygun

I've got an AR10 A4 with a 20 inch Chrome Lined barrel, with my more accurate handloads it averages right around 1inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. Fair accuracy considering that it does not have a freefloated handguard and it does not have a trigger that is condusive to target shooting due to it's heavy pull and creepy movement.

I'm thinking that I'm getting a tad bit of barrel warping as the barrel heats up from shooting a string, to date I've had LOTS of 3 shot groups in the 3/8-1/2 inch area at 100 yards but pushing for 5 shots I always watch the groups open up. One of these days I'm gonna actually sit back and wait between shots to assure that the barrel has time to cool and I'll see if I can't get the groups down there.

I actually wanted a "T" model with 24 inch barrel but at the time I couldn't afford to pay 2200 dollars as opposed to the 1400 I paid for my A4 and I was also in a race with the Ca. legislature in that when I saw an AR10 on the shelf I had to really question when would be the next time I'd have an opportunity to pick up an AR10. Funny thing was that during the 10 day waiting period after signing the paper work the shop got in the exact AR10 model I actually wanted but couldn't afford.

It's okay though, I bought my AR10 with the sole intent of having it reworked and having an additional upper or two in the gun case so that I could have both a rugged hunting/general use upper as well as a few custom built tack driving uppers in real long range chamberings like 260Rem or 7mm08.

Love the Ar10 though, magazines are pretty expensive but the SR25 mags are even more expensive.

Here's a pic of the ugly gal.
AR10A4od.jpg

swsurgeon

I have the AR10T. A factory target shows ten rounds in 7/8 inch at a hundred yards. My shooting partner put five of his handloads into less than 7/16". He has a 3/8" group out of his Stoner SR25, but it is hard to tell the difference between the best groups out of the two rifles.

It will shoot 1983 Argentine surplus into less than an inch. Doesn't like the Hirtenberger quite as well.