AR-10 A4 sucks need help to fix it

LOCHFAL

A friend of mine just got an AR10 at the local gunshow. He couldn't make it to the range for a while so he asked me to try it out. I thoroughly cleaned it and took it out today but it has problems. With both kinds of ammo I tried it has ejection failure about ten percent of the time. It likes to just pull the empty out of the chamber and leave it lay on top of the mag and of course when the bolt goes forward again it is in the way. I had heard that the earlier models were a pain in the butt, but I thought this one was one of the late models. Anyone have a clue on what serial #'s were junk or what may be the hangup on this one?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
LOCHFAL

orsogato

If your friend is looking for a fun reliable .308, Tell your friend to ditch the AR-10 and purchase a FAL type rifle. IMHO the best semi .308 around. It should have been our service weapon, but the higher ups believed we still needed 1930's technology (i.e. m14 which is simply a modified Garand).

If friend is looking for a .308 match then I probably would stick with the m1a (m14). But all the top shooters at Perry seem to be using m-16/ AR-15 (5.56mm) system anyhow.

The mag issue on the AR-10 really kills it.

RikWriter

The mag issue doesn't kill the AR10 at all. Costs a bit more money, but it is well worth it. I have an AR10 and a M1A and I much prefer the AR10 for any application. I would prefer a Belgian FAL over either, but they are incredibly expensive and the only other FAL I would trust are the DSA versions, which are also overpriced and hard to get.

USMCGrunt

Yeah, the FAL is ok, but the sights are micky-rat. No windage knob mean you have to guestimate the hold when shooting in the wind instead of dialing the range on the sights. Not too thrilled with having to adjsut the front sight with a special tool but they are available so you should probably have one anyways. As far as 1930's technology in the M-14, well, when we used that old technology, we taught recruits to hit what they were aiming at and won our wars with those old designs.

RikWriter

Grunt...umm, hate to inform you, but hit rates were no higher in battle with the Garand or the M14. In fact, with those weapons, fewer soldiers actually fired their weapons in combat. People seem to assume that prior to going to the 223, our soldiers were all crack shots who would snipe the enemy at a thousand yards. Sorry, no. The vast majority of combat encounters in every war for which data is available occurred at less than 200 yards.
The M1A/M14 is a solid, accurate, reasonably reliable and durable weapon with a nice sighting system. BUT, it is far from ergonomic, and is more difficult to disassemble than an AR or FAL type rifle.

LOCHFAL

RikWriter, Thanks for the info I'll be tearing it down in a little while so I'll check.

orsogoto, I agree for a reliable and proven rifle in .308 the FAL is second to none. Mine is just great. I do think the AR10 is more accurate though.

Anyone else have an idea whats wrong with it?
Thanks
LOCHFAL

mic007tfp

I have an AR10 A4, and had serious jamming problems with it. The first time out it would jam pretty much every shot. Mainly I had feeding problems. The bullets would get caught in the lugs and I would have a helluva time getting them out. Disgusted, I sent the thing back to Armalite to get it fixed. :mad:

Well they throated and polished the ramp. I got it back and took it shooting again. To my dismay, there were still feeding problems. I was pissed, but continued to try to feed bullets throught the thing. Well as it goes, after feeding about 30 rounds through the gun, it started to smooth up and feed reliably. I put a tasco 10x42 sniper scope on top of it, and it shoots like a dream. (this is using british nato surplus too) I was simply blowing away pigeons at 100 consistently, and took it out to 300 with no problems, hitting metal targets without abandon. Almost no recoil, I think I could love the thing if it were as reliable as my Bushmaster. (still may not feed correctly - bullet not seated all the way forward, every 30th round or so) but for all it's faults definitely too much fun. :p

orsogato

USMC Grunt,

You are right, the sights are the one sore spot on the FAL, and an accurized m-14 holds its own on any competition line.

But, I still think the FAL is a superior weapon to the m-14. That all being said, my favorite rifle to shoot is still the m1 Garand.

I get my grandfather (wwII Marine Corps vet) to come to matches and he loves to see all the Garands on the line that are still used by a ton of shooters.

P.S. Thank you for your service

Orso

[This message has been edited by orsogato (edited March 20, 2000).]

goat

LOCHFAL, You should not have cleaned the rifle before you shot it.Armalite puts the right amount of oil on the bolt for it to break in.Lack of oil on the bolt is your problem.Take it out,hose it down,then go to the range.They also suggest breaking it in with Black Hills ammo.

Alan B

Maybe you should Have RikWriter over to take a look at it. After all he has been busting my chops over the last few weeks on how great the AR series rifles are.

RikWriter wrote
“Grunt...umm, hate to inform you, but hit rates were no higher in battle with the Garand or the M14. In fact, with those weapons, fewer soldiers actually fired their weapons in combat. People seem to assume that prior to going to the 223, our soldiers were all crack shots who would snipe the enemy at a thousand yards. Sorry, no. The vast majority of combat encounters in every war for which data is available occurred at less than 200 yards.”

Gee where to start your statement is like comparing apples and oranges.

1. Prior to 1890 and the invention of smokeless powder it was damn hard to find a mass produced rifle that would shoot accurately past 200 yards. It was a limitation of the technology, powder, and shooter. So lets throw out any data prior to 1890.
2. Since most armies tended to shoot only to 200yards/meters prior to 1900 it had some influence on the training of the units that fought in the early wars of the 1900s.
3. Were have most of all these engagements that the 200 meter crew like to quote fought? If we take out central Europe, it seriously weakens the argument of the 200 meter rule.
4. Before the Army and Marines changed the training tactics used to teach shooting in the early 1960s the best rate for aimed fire from friendly troops (soldiers actively shooting to kill) was in the 25% to 40% range (There were some units that exceeded this but they were usually composed of veteran fighters). After the battle of Gettysburg there were rifles found (not just a few) that had charge after charge rammed on top of each other. One rifle was found to have been loaded 7 times without firing. Prior to the Vietnam war, their was a lot of evidence produced that showed that US soldiers would fire their guns but not point them at an enemy intending to kill them. (the barrier to not kill was not broken in the bulk of those men especially those not battle hardened)

The simple fact is most battles have been fought in areas were getting a shot past 200 meters is not normal (not the Kansas Plains, the flat expanse of Russia, or the desert).
Most armies don’t train their soldiers to shoot farther than that (its only been the last 100 years or so that it has been a realistic possibility)
The simple truth is anyone who makes the 200 meter argument and fails to take into account all these other influences is using junk science. It’s the old that’s the way we have always done it and that’s the way we are going to do it in the future rule

If one reads some of the action reports of the small unit actions of the first US Units sent to Korea to slow down the North Korean advance (the first few “task forces” read speed bump) You will find cases of US soldiers armed with BAR’s , M-1 Garands and M1919 machineguns holding fire until the enemy closed from the 800- 1000 yard range until they were in the 200 – 250 yard range. Why? It’s a horde coming at you, the rifle will reach that far, If you miss your selected target you are bound to hit another one farther back. The only thing that might explain it is the thought never occurred to these soldiers to open up that far out and use the extra killing zone because they hadn’t been trained to.

So RikWriter in answer to your post, the Higher hit rates of the M-16 are a tribute to the change in rifle training adopted by the US Military in the early to mid 1960s not a change in the rifle. If you also check the facts from the Marine Corps you will find that during the late 60s the marines stopped stressing marksmanship and as a result they saw their hit rate go down and the ammunition expenditure rate go up. They then reinstated their emphasis on marksmanship and the trend again reversed its self.

The simple fact is that in a street fight the guy with the assault rifle will probably win. Here the size of the weapon, its volume of fire, and the amount of ammunition come in to play. In a wide open area the guy with the 98K will probably win as he will get 3-5 free shots before you even get him in range.

[This message has been edited by Alan B (edited March 21, 2000).]

LOCHFAL

goat, The ar10 had had a previous owner and wasn't exactly clean when he dropped it off. I also didn't try to shoot it dry, It didn't lack for oil when I tried it. I doubt if it had been thoroughly broken in because there was no wear at all and all but one of the mags that came with it were perfect, as if they had never been seated in the reciever. If I get a chance I'm going to take it back out again and I'll try your suggestion then.
Thanks
LOCHFAL

Edmund Rowe

Back to the AR-10 issue...

LOCHFAL: I'd try different ammo. I've seen an AR-10 malf a lot with IMI 168 gr BTHP match but then function flawlessly with Federal Gold Medal 168 gr BTHP match. The malfs with the IMI match were about exactly as you described happened in your friend's rifle.

Hope that helps.

Edmund

goat

dZ,I think both of us bring up good points.Your point makes one think someone got rid of this gun for a reason.

LOCHFAL

dz, I just checked the key, man I wish it were that simple. I agree I think someone got rid of it because of this malfunction. I think my friend will want to fix it though. If it were mine I would fix it rather than sell it. Whoever had it must not have tried very hard to correct the problem or it would show some wear. I think I'll take some tools and a can full of .308 and run out to the range today. Mayby if I run enough ammo through it it will loosen up and work better.