Aquila 22lr interceptor 1400 fps

stagpanther

I use this ammo mainly to test supersonic pressure tolerances in rifle chambers. Just for grins and out of curiosity--I stacked a 2 x 4 and 2 half-inch compressed wood boards to see what the bullet would do and shot them at about 2 feet. I just assumed the thin jacket would peel off and the lead core would splatter--instead the bullet went through all three and kept right on going--I didn't recover it. Aquila's supermax and CCI's stinger are even faster.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpg
    IMG_9135.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 209

tangolima

I also tried that for shooting tin cans at 150yd and beyond. I found it no better than their high speed. It costs close to double.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

Mostly, I was very impressed by the penetration, I have no doubt aimed properly this could be an effective personal defense cartridge.

tangolima

Yeah I quite like Aguilar. It is my default brand of .22lr ammo, after trying out a few other brands. I will try Norma tac-22 when I need to replenish my stash.

Aguilar smells funny though. But I have gotten used to it now.

-TL

stagpanther

The norma stuff is very good for the price--but it's also a subsonic, so don't expect anything like the aguila's for impact or bullet drop.;)

tangolima

Not for the impacting energy. Just try to improve my hit rate on tin cans at 200yd. Currently I am using super extra high speed (supersonic). I thought the interceptor's shorter flight time would help. The advantage is very marginally, should there be any.

Will try tac-22 for that.

-TL

stagpanther

FWIW--through my rifles tac 22 does very well out to 100yds and is just a bit behind the finest stuff like RWS, Ely and SK. Tac 22 is actually a bit slower than these other ones, so it starts to "fade away" compared to the best at around 200 yds IME; if I recall correctly it will impact somewhere around 7" to 10" +/- below the top shelf stuff at 200+ yds. RWS R-100 will beat any ammo at any velocity when shot through my CZ 457 at any distance out to 225 yds.

JustJake

I use this ammo mainly to test supersonic pressure tolerances in rifle chambers. Just for grins and out of curiosity--I stacked a 2 x 4 and 2 half-inch compressed wood boards to see what the bullet would do and shot them at about 2 feet. I just assumed the thin jacket would peel off and the lead core would splatter--instead the bullet went through all three and kept right on going--I didn't recover it.
What type of critter-application does this ammo have?

Anyone shot something furry with it?