Applying for C&R liscense, got question

Cheapshooter

All that is required is that you mail a copy of your application to your CLEO. People sometimes make way too big of a deal of this part of the process.
Mail it to the CLEO, and mark the box that you have, that's it.

GunGuy34

Do you own a firearm? If so do you know how to shoot it? Just asking cause its a topic in another thread that relates to this one. The topic was alot of people out there are getting cc permits and have no idea how to shoot or anything about the weapon they are carrying.

Hardcase

The CLEO copy is just a courtesy of the BATFE to let him know that you are applying for a license. If there's some reason that the CLEO feels that you shouldn't have the license, he'll notify the BATFE, otherwise it will either just gather dust in a filing cabinet or get roundfiled. Your only obligation is to send it to the CLEO as it is, with nothing added or removed.

In my county, the CCW clerk at the sheriff's office handles them - she gave mine a cursory review, then tossed it in the shredder.

I'm not sure what knowing how to shoot a weapon actually has to do with this or how it relates to a CCW permit, though.

ISC

A C&R is a type of Federal Firearms Liicense (FFL) that allows you to purchase certain types of collectable firearms directly from the wholesaler, dealer, or an individual. In general, the guideline is that the gun must be 50 years old or older.

If you wanted to buy a yugo SKS (in original configuration) from a person or dealer in another state you'd have to arrange to have the transfer done through a FFL. If you had a C&R you could have it shipped directly to you.

It costs $30 and is good for 3 years. Getting one only requires that you request the original form from ATF, fill it out, show a copy to the local Chief Law enforcement officer (police chief if your address is in a city, sheriff if it's county) then mail it in to the address on the envelope with a check for
$30.

You don't need it for a CMP Garand, that is a diffferent procedure entirely.

lwfiredog

The C&R is very easy to get. Just go to the ATF website and theres a link to request the paperwork to apply for C&R. It took a few weeks for me to recieve that. Fill it out, Mail one copy the the ATF with your check for $30 and then mail the other copy to the CLEO and sit down and wait. It only took me about 3 weeks to recieve my licence in the mail and its good for 3 years. And yes it is required to purchase a rifle from the CMP however there are a few exceptions . If you go to their website there is a whole list of what they require and what they accept in order to purchase from them.

ISC

And yes it is required to purchase a rifle from the CMP however there are a few exceptions . If you go to their website there is a whole list of what they require and what they accept in order to purchase from them.

I believe you are mistaken about that. All I've seen as a requirement to purchase a CMP rifle is that you compete in designated competition program or are a Vet. I've never even seen C&R FFLs mentioned in association with the CMP program.

Toms_2003_Stang

"Do you own a firearm? If so do you know how to shoot it? Just asking cause its a topic in another thread that relates to this one. The topic was alot of people out there are getting cc permits and have no idea how to shoot or anything about the weapon they are carrying."

I do indeed own several firearms and I know how to shoot them,

carguychris

The CLEO copy is just a courtesy of the BATFE to let him know that you are applying for a license. If there's some reason that the CLEO feels that you shouldn't have the license, he'll notify the BATFE, otherwise it will either just gather dust in a filing cabinet or get roundfiled. Your only obligation is to send it to the CLEO as it is, with nothing added or removed.
Although this is true, I sent a cover letter with mine as a courtesy, but I purposefully made it very brief. I wrote something like this:

"The BATFE requires that I send this to you as a courtesy. You are not required to take any action. Thank you for serving our community."

Don't forget to send it certified mail so you'll have a receipt to show the ATF if they ask.

Cheapshooter

Do you own a firearm? If so do you know how to shoot it? Just asking cause its a topic in another thread that relates to this one. The topic was alot of people out there are getting cc permits and have no idea how to shoot or anything about the weapon they are carrying.

What does that have to do with getting a Class 03 FFL? What the OP was about was part of the procedure in obtaining a license from the BATF classified as Collector of Curios and Relics. C&R

Although there are several firearms that are listed by BATF as C&R that make decent concealed carry guns, the license has nothing to do with CCW.

stickhauler

No, you don't need a C&R to order a rifle through the CMP, as your inclusion of your data on the order form, and the questions you have to answer is basically what you find on a Form 4473. They run a background check on anyone who buys a rifle from them. Remember, the CMP is also a notarized form as well, so it's witnessed by a independent government recognized person that you signed it in front of them, so it gives it about the same gravity in a legal sense as a sworn statement before a court.

stickhauler

No, through their charter, since they're running a background check on you anyway, they are allowed to ship it directly to you. Actually, having a C & R license adds a step to the process for you, as you have to log it into your bound book, just as if you had it transferred to you through your C & R license.

CjAl

I think I read on the CMP website that having your C&R will waive the shooting proficiency requirement

But I may be wrong, I've been reading allot of things lately.

I do know the ATF sure doesn't waste any time pulling their $30 out of your bank account. I'm just wondering how long it's going to take to get the License.

Who long have people been waiting lately??

Glenn Bartley

The few times I have sent in the C&R application to my local CLEO, I have also included a brief cover letter. This is not making a big deal out of it, this is a courtesy and also helps stifle any questions that someone at the police department has who handles the letter and is not aware of what is a C&R. If those questions pile up enough, as they often do in a bureaucracy, guess whom they will come to ask. So no, it is not making to much of a big deal out of it to include a brief cover letter and as I said, if nothing more, it is a courtesy.

All the best,
GB