Appleseed!!!

CortJestir

Hey guys and gals,

By far, it was the best $70 I have spent on anything! :D

True to New England fashion, I think we made 8 (maybe 9?) rifleman out of 36 shooters throughout the weekend. It could have been more, I don't have the exact numbers. But the point is that our group was hungry to learn, we all had a great time on the line and the marked improvement in everyone's collective shooting skill was very impressive -- all due to the training, of course!

The attendees ran the gamut from beginner (like me) to designated marksmen. All were made to feel welcome and all certainly learned something that day.

Not to mention the history - both the retelling and remembrance of our colonial heritage but also making history by being on the largest firing line assembled. What a treat!

For me personally, not counting the 2 times I shot my rifle to get familiar with its operation, this is the first time I've ever shot a rifle. So I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to long guns.

I used my recently acquired 10/22, converted into a "Liberty Training Rifle" (upgraded peep sights, sling, upgraded hammer).

I started day one shooting in the high 130s to low 140s on the Quick n' Dirty Army Qualification Test and being able to put 3 rounds in a 100 yard redcoat silhouette reliably (from prone, open sights). You need to shoot a 210 to earn your rifleman patch. By the end of the weekend, I was in the high 170s and able to put 3 in the 300 yard redcoat reliably (also from prone with open sights). It's starting to "click in". I wish there was a 3rd and 4th day to get zeroed in on it! But I guess I'll have to come up to the next Appleseed.

So this is a big thanks to any TFLers out there involved in the Appleseed Project. And for those who own a rifle, you need to attend an Appleseed.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

sholling

I've been twice and can't say enough about Appleseed. I think they are absolutely awesome and recommend them every chance I get.

mrstang01

I only got to attend the first day, got called in to work for the 2nd, but I had a blast. Wish I would have had a chance to sight in my rifle first, think I would have done a lot better, but that was my fault.

Tucker 1371

I want to go to one of these bad but the one closest to where my guns are is in Toccoa, 3hrs away. I could go to the one in Hinesville if I could keep my guns with me while I'm at college but thats not possible at the moment.

My shooting is in need of some MAJOR help.

Would a SAR-2 AK clone in 5.45x39mm be suitable for one of these? Performs similar to a .223 out of a 16" bbl. I've replaced the stock sights with a windage-adjustable peep sight.

750pilot

damn, it says that you need to bring about 1500 rounds of ammo, if you bring a centerfire rifle then atleast 500 rounds for that!!!

is that how much you shot during the class?

azredhawk44

750pilot: 1500 has to be a typo.

Highest round count I have seen at an Appleseed is about 700. Most run about 450 or so for the weekend.

Ridge_Runner_5

I'll be attending mine in about a month...for the close range stuff on day 1 I'll be shooting .22 out of my AR...for the long range stuff on day 2, I'll be using .223... a friend of mine is an instructor for the Appleseed...he said plan on about 200-300rds a day...I'll bring a couple boxes of .22 and a half case of .223 with me...

I look forward to it!

funfaler

the 1500 rounds is for the week long Rifleman's Boot Camps, just a click off on the web site is all.

Remember folks, that same $70 that gets a fella into an Appleseed, will cover the cost of his wife, kids (under 21) and his buddies that have a military ID (active, reserve, guard).

So, an entire family can shoot for $70.

Or for you guys that want to get your girlfriend shooting rifles, bring her along Free of charge too.

You can not even do a family dinner out for less than that anymore.