Votes: 2 6.7%
  • S&W 15-22

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rdmallory

Looking to goto a Appleseed shoot and that gives me the excuse to buy a new rifle.

I already own a tricked out 10/22 with a scope so I am looking for a .22lr with open sights.

Needs to be mag fed no tubes or bolts.

Should of been Sig 522

Last edited:

azredhawk44

I've seen 3 GSG's at Appleseeds so far.

None of them has even lasted the weekend, let alone produced groups that earn the Rifleman distinction. It is not a very precise long gun, IMO. I've put either a 10/22 or Marlin 795 into the hands of one of those shooters and his group size cut in half. Immediately.

Sig P229 is a handgun, not a rifle.

Not impressed with the reliability of the AR .22 conversions out there, either.

Frankly, nothing beats the sturdiness and time tested designs of the Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22, Remington 597 and others of the traditional autoloading rimfire rifle genre. They work. Plain and simple.

$$$'s to donuts, my money is on a Marlin 795 with TechSights as the best "appleseed" rifle. I use two of them as loaners when a shooter's primary rifle goes down and he doesn't have a spare.

The line safety officers will thank you for it, over a 10/22, also. Those flush Ruger mags start to become invisible as the day drags on and you've cleared the line for the eleventy-first time. The Marlin, being a stick mag, is harder to miss.

But, bring the 10/22 you have. Appleseed is about YOUR gear. Not a gear race. Scopes are welcome, click-adjustable sights are welcome. Any sight that is scientifically adjustable is welcome.

(And, we'll even put up with the "whack it sideways" stock sights on Ruger 10/22's if that's all ya got.:) You'll just miss out on the pleasant part of sighting in with scientifically adjustable sights, and be relegated to the guess-n-check methodology.)

rdmallory

So far I am thinking

Marlin 795 $135
Tech Sights $69
Wood Stock $59

Still under $300 and the S&W 15-22 was $399 but it already had the peep sights on it.

I like the looks of the Remington 597 but I don't see Tech Sights for it.

Would need to add a sling and two more mags to both.

Savage don't make a autoloader.

Doug

Attachments

• FLINTY1.jpg
    FLINTY1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Maxicooper

My rifle for Appleseed.

4305944740_619590ccd6_o.jpg

:D

azredhawk44

So far I am thinking

Marlin 795 $135
Tech Sights $69
Wood Stock $59

Still under $300 and the S&W 15-22 was $399 but it already had the peep sights on it.

I like the looks of the Remington 597 but I don't see Tech Sights for it.

Would need to add a sling and two more mags to both.

Knock $59 off... you don't need to replace the stock. And any stock you get for $59 isn't going to be an improvement over the nylon one it comes with.

Take the nylon stock that the 795 comes with and relieve the barrel channel a bit, then at the 6 o-clock position at the end of the stock, wedge a little bit of folded up paper or matchbook cover so that the only place the barrel touches the stock is at the very end at that matchbook cover.

My 795 is set up that way and the only reason that I can't shoot better than 230 on an AQT is because of me... not the rifle.

L_Killkenny

I voted other because you didn't leave us a none of the above choice.

My vote, another 10/22. The mag issue is a non factor and I've never had the problem some have with removing Ruger mags. I think it's easy and I have good sized, working mans fingers. If you so choose, adding a different mag release is easy. Plus, you'll need more than one mag and there are some OK aftermarket stick mags for the 10/22 if you so choose. Cost shouldn't be any more than the factory Marlin mags, maybe ever cheaper.

Never be liked the Marlin design. As a matter of fact, I think it's bad. While my experience with the 795 is none (at least I'm honest), it's my understnding that it's the same as the 60 less the tube. And my substantial experience with the 60 is poor. YMMV. My experience with the Ruger = A+.

LK

warbirdlover

Since you need to bring 400 :eek: rounds of ammo I can see why everyone is using .22's. 400 rounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorch

Quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Use your 10/22 or get a new one. They work. At an Appleseed shoot, you will shoot a lot of rounds, so reliability is a must, and a 10/22 is super reliable.

rdmallory

Thanks for all the input.

The wooden stock I found was a factory wood stock. I don't like plastic and like the extra weight.

I really like the looks of the S&W 15-22 but they are not making short 10 round mags for them yet.

I do have a Tactical solutions 10/22 receiver ,Volquartsen trigger, green mountain barrel , and Boyd's thumb hole stock but it is very picky on the ammo it will feed.

Never though of getting a stock 10/22 and just adding the sights. Might be cheaper then buying a Marlin and adding a wooden stock.

4309969763_196c639190.jpg

My wife thinks its ugly.

Last edited:

horatioo

So far I am thinking

Marlin 795 $135
Tech Sights $69
Wood Stock $59

You need to add for a sling and for the thing the sling goes into. My 22 only had posts (not sure what they are called).

An aside if you cant see 22 holes at 25 meters, a pair of binoculars are nice. You dont get to go down range after every shoot and it is nice to see how you do. Also I would take some thumb tacks. They had a couple of staplers for putting up targets, but I had to wait around to get them. Thumb tacks would have been easier.

Appleseed is great. Nothing makes shooting funner then hitting the target better.

Good luck.

azredhawk44

An aside if you cant see 22 holes at 25 meters, a pair of binoculars are nice. You dont get to go down range after every shoot and it is nice to see how you do.

Bad, horatioo...:(:rolleyes:

You've been to an Appleseed. You know the 6th step to firing the shot... follow through. Hold the trigger back and call the shot.

To call the shot, you keep your eye open and take a mental snapshot of where the front sight was as the trigger broke. No need to see the holes, on a properly zeroed rifle.

Binoculars are actually an impairing crutch that make it harder to learn to call the shot.

horatioo

Also you need two magazines. I had a bit of a time finding the second one for my marlin. I had to go to about 5 stores before I found one.

Chipperman

I had to go to about 5 stores before I found one.

They are easy to find online.

The Marlin comes with the sling mounts already. All you need is a ring if the sling you buy does not have one. I used a split key ring. Costs about $0.25