Appleseed event in S. Florida

velocette

I just found out that an Appleseed event has recently been scheduled for the Ft. Lauderdale area. July 3 & 4.
So I promptly signed up. I had planned to attend one in North central Florida later this year, but right in my back yard, I couldn't refuse it.
I'm looking forward to some good coaching and to burn up some powder.

Roger

ISC

I'm curious how the demographic breakdown will be. I know that there are alot of Hispanics in that area. There are many elitists that think that Appleseed shoots and Tea parties are exclusively white movements.
I know from personal experience that there is a sizable percentage of minorities who are sympathetic to the Firearms community and constitutionalist mindset. Having an active outreach to those groups and increasing their representation in our camp would be a really great thing.

Bamashooter

i have been thinking about going to one next month. it said on their website to bring 4-5 magazines. could anyone tell me how the event actually goes. what kind of rifle i would need or which would be best. my experience is 8yrs. military and a whole lifetime of shooting. i just think it would be cool for me and my 12yr. old son. could i do it with a mini with iron sights. could my son do it with a 10/22 with iron sights.

ISC

They say a .22 is fine. I think they want you to use open sights, but I've never been to one. maybe I'll go with my sons when I get back to the states.

velocette

The event is shot at 25 yards. Standing, sitting (or kneeling) and prone. There are timed parts of it.
Any rifle, any caliber any action is just fine. A reliable .22 is ideal, although you can if you wish, bring your .458 Win Mag. (Just make sure you are at the far side of the range from me.) They suggest iron sights but any sight system is accepted.
Some events have an optional long range final event depending upon the range.
I've heard that you can change rifles during the event as you choose, do the practice with a .22 do the qualification with your blaster.

Bamashooter

question about appleseed event... can you use reloads? im thinking of attending one here in bama and was curious.. thx.. :)

blume357

yes, any ammo you want... but I would make sure it is reliable

the shooting distance is only 25 yards so even cheap 22lr will work pretty good.

You really don't need more than two mags, but as with all things mechanical, it doesn't hurt to have a back up.

The intent is to teach you to shoot with iron military peep type sights but they won't run you off if you have a scope. (even though I think it is cheating)

I would strongly suggest a Ruger 10/22. And I would put tech sights on it.

You will be shooting a lot... depending on your economic standing if shooting something else after a few hours you back 'wallet' pocket can start burning. You will most likely shoot close to 400 rounds.

During the course there is a mag change... you shoot 2 rounds from one mag and then 8 from the second.

Consider your shooting mat very carefully, the softer the better. Even in Summer long sleeves will be a minimum and I thought the elbow pads suggestion was a joke until the second day....

water, snacks other comfort items are important. Also the staple gun and lots of staples is important.... pen for marking you hits on the sighting in target when you are doing multiple shoots at the same target.

There is one in upper S.C. (Anderson) in June 26th and 27th. I'm hoping to make at least one day but it depends on the wify, weather (bad is good) and how good I've been as of late.

I still can't figure out the military sling thing... if you can 'make the instructor' go over this again and again.... but I would not get real wrapped up in it... the handy sling method is good enough usually when shooting standing ... and when sitting or kneeling or prone I really don't see it as a great advantage.... the real problem is you can spend too much time trying to get the sling right when you need to be concentrating on your shooting.

94bluerat

Appleseed is the best shooting event I have attended. A 10/22 with tech sights and 3 or 4 stock mags is best. The guys shooting the FAL didn't come back on day 2.
Yes it is hard, Yes elbow pads help, get a M-14 style sling and a removable swivel. I was able to leave the adjusted sling on my arm and leave the rifle on the line.

They probably won't let you switch rifles mid day. They are very focused on safety. If you make rifleman on day one (most don't) you could try again on day 2 with a different weapon.

I would stick with one gun and go all thru day 2. They call it "The Grind" for a reason. It will make you a better shooter.

As mentioned above go to their web site and read everything.

Good luck, it is time well spent.

14cm

here is what i shot last weekend in ky.

10-22 with tech sights.

3 mags, one failed. glad i had the third mag. use clear mags if you have them. you will load 2 and 8 many times. u need to keep mags straight. you shoot 2 rounds drop mag then shoot 8 it is timed so if you mess your mags up your done.

cci standard velocity ammo, $6.50 per 100. i was going to bring wolf match extra but that is not the spirit of the game.

get a usgi loop sling. $12 on there sight, it will amaze you how much this helps. i used a tapco loop for all three positions.

elbo pads are a must, bring some type of shooting mat also. i used a usgi bedroll. a chunk of carpet works fine.

if you have it, bring some sight black. later in the day the sun was behind us and my front post was glimmering. i finaly sooted it with a lighter.

watter, bug spray, sun block and a good attitude.

with this setup i cleaned the redcoat target first thing and shot rifleman that afternoon. i probably practice more than most, i was shooting 100 rounds a day for a week before the shoot 30 in each position.

MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS SIGHTED IN AT 25 YDS/METERS. AND DO NOT SWICH AMMO ONCE IT IS. PERSONALY I FEEL THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SHOWING UP WITH A RIFLE THAT IS NOT VERY CLOSE.

with that being said i had to come up one click before shooting the aqt. i figured i was getting lazy and holding low to see the target better.

i do not care how good you think you are, you will learn a good deal about shooting with a sling. the hardest people to teach are us hammerheads who know everything allready.

one of the instructors took a liking to me and was riding my but about gripping the rifle with my support hand. guess what, he was right and i shot better after my thick head actualy opened up to the concept of listening to somebody.

i still have trouble with the riflemans cadence, breath in breath out, bang. u should fire around 3-4 seconds apart. i looked like i was having a seizure when i tried it. breath in, bang breath o, bang, bre, bang. not good.

you were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth, listen to what they say. o, and a little trig knowledge doesant hurt. LOL