Apple seed

aarondhgraham

It's not really a match per se,,,

Appleseed Shoots are a 2-day weekend affair,,,
You show up with a rifle such as a good semi-auto .22,,,
And supposedly learn a lot about the patriot riflemen of our history,,,
And then you shoot a lot of ammo where you supposedly learn how to shoot like a "rifleman".

That sounded smarmy but it wasn't meant to be at all.

Everyone I know who has attended an Appleseed shoot,,,
Has called it a positive shooting experience,,,
And have said they had a lot of fun.

Click here for their website.

Aarond

4bfox

aarondhgraham: Good job describing Appleseed...I didn't take it as swarmy at all.

Clifford: I'll elaborate a bit more. We do 2 things VERY WELL at Appleseed: 1. Rifle marksmanship training, the point being "Riflemen" (those who qualify on our AQT) can consistently hit a 4MOA target out to 500 yards, including proper use of the sling (no bipods, sand bags, etc) in standing, seated and prone positions. 2. We retell the heritage of April 19, 1775 and the remind shooters of the sacrifices our forefathers made for us.

California has a GREAT AS team, you should attend a shoot. Not that we don't do a good job in Kansas, but the CA crew runs a LOT more shoots.

Ben

eric75

It is not tactical training, the shooting instruction is on the fundamentals of good marksmanship. Unlike classes where you learn fighting skills, the primary goal is to remind people of their history as Americans, and the shooting is used as one of the vehicles to convey that message.

Also it is not a match. There is no first or second place. If you shoot above a certain score you get a nice patch and that is the limit of the competitive aspect. Unlike a match, there are not a lot of rules about the configuration of your rifle except where the features might interfere with the instruction being given. (For example using a bipod or a single point sling will make it difficult to apply what we teach about the prone position).

The students we encounter have widely varying degrees of experience, but material is presented fast enough, and the fundamentals are important enough, that people with a high skill level will be stretched. Less experienced shooters will feel like they are drinking from the fire hose, but they will enjoy learning a new skill, and they will see major results.

Rattlehead

Good explanation, eric. To exapnd - Appleseed will try your fundamentals. If they're not honed and exercised, it will show... and then the course will focus on those and improving them.

Tactical shooting is another training course for another time, and is not a topic that Appleseed addresses (although the skills you pick up at Appleseed will certainly help you out there).

It's not expensive and it's the best rifle instruction I've ever recieved. I'd highly recommend checking them out.

Charlie98

500yrds with a 22. I tip my hat

...well... not quite. The .22 LR's are shot at a reduced silhouette target at 25M, but still quite challenging.

Some of the Appleseed ranges can take centerfire out to longer distances.

I just completed my first Appleseed a few weeks ago and what the others said is correct. I went through Army basic back in the '80's, they did not teach us to shoot like Appleseed does. Learning how to properly shoot with a sling is fairly easy and incredibly effective, and something everyone should learn how to do if they fancy themselves competent with a rifle.

They also teach that if you have a basic rifle with servicable accuracy you can become a passable rifleman, you don't need any high speed, low drag gear.

Appleseed doesn't push politics, they teach marksmanship and history surrounding 19APR, 1775, that's it.

shooter_john

I have attended several Appleseeds both as a shooter and an "orange hat" or instructor in training.

Each one I've been to has had a different personality depending on the shoot boss, but they have all been positive experiences. I have a fair amount of rifle training and am a police "sniper" but no school or training I've ever attended comes close to teaching the basics and fundamentals like Appleseed. The history lessons that are presented throughout the day are icing on the cake, and with a good passionate instructor, the history can be even better than the shooting.

If I am asked about where to get great rifle training, I always suggest Appleseed first. Any other tactical or general shooting courses could only benefit and build from the knowledge one can get at an Appleseed event.

Charlie98

If I am asked about where to get great rifle training, I always suggest Appleseed first. Any other tactical or general shooting courses could only benefit and build from the knowledge one can get at an Appleseed event.

Appleseed starts with the basics... something anyone can (and should) do. My 13-year old daughter will be coming with me next time!