Apple seed second day.

velocette

Second day; I had earned my riflemans badge yesterday with a 244 score using my Thompson Center r55 Benchmark .22 rifle. So today, I returned with my DPMS LR 308B in hopes of coming close to the score I earned yesterday with a .22.
First, let me reiterate just how good the training, coaching and learning is in an Appleseed event. I was not fooling when I said that folks went from novices shooting patterns to shooting groups on target. It really happens.
Next, those of us that are good rifleman can surely learn some valuable information from an Appleseed. I surely did and my ability with a rifle is better now than it was two days ago. Another thing to note, there were many novices on the line. There were no idiots! No talking down, no feeling of inferiority. Everybody learned, everybody progressed and nobody was criticized. Good coaching and good learning yes, criticism no.
I did not equal or better my score using the .308. I came close but the timed events were my downfall along with the offhand (standing) position. Clearly I need practice in those areas. My score today was 241. That pesky offhand just does it to me.
In a month or two, I will do it again and will aim for a 250 / 250 with both rifles. Yeah, I know, those last few points come hard.

Roger

blume357

Really good shooting... especially if it was Florida in the Summer

I'm hoping to get back to one in a few months when it cools down some.

velocette

Shooter John;
I used a heavy barrelled .308 gas gun that weighs with scope over 11 lbs. 120 rds of 168 gr bullets @ 2500 fps was enough for me. There were some folks on the line with .22rf bolt guns. they all had problems with the timed parts of the course. On the second day, they all had borrowed or bought a .22 autoloader.
The course can be done successfully with a bolt gun but it would take a lot of practice and either easily removable magazines or some means to rapidly reload the internal mag. Doing 2 rds & then 8 rds for most bolt centerfire rifles is not possible. They would need a dispensation to do 5 & 5 or something of that order. Still a challenge.
By the way, the AQT which Appleseed uses as it's standard is taken from the US Army's AQT which was set up for an M1 Garand. Easlly done with a 2 rd clip & the standard 8 rd clip.

Roger

kraigwy

By the way, the AQT which Appleseed uses as it's standard is taken from the US Army's AQT which was set up for an M1 Garand. Easily done with a 2 rd clip & the standard 8 rd clip.

The AQT Appleseed uses is the reduced targets designed for the National Guard for their indoor rifle ranges where units didn't have access to full ranges. The course of fire is from the Army's Combat KD qualifications and matches shot with M16a1s at 100-400 yards (reduced to 50ft). The army or NG used sub cal (22 devices) in the M16s.

It was also the same course used in the CNGB Postal Matches where, using sub cal devices, units competed in the state, then the winning unit went to Nashville (which use to be the NG MTU Hdqrs until they moved to Little Rock) to compete with other states.

The 2 & 8 mag uses in rapid fire was held over for from the days where M1s were used in High Power. Bolt guns used 5 & 5, and of course the M1s had to use 2 & 8.

It is legal to load 5 & 5 in gas guns (M14 & M16s) in HP, but most people kept to the 2 & 8 so as after firing the first (2 rd) mag, you can take a quick peak in the scope to confirm you zero prior to loading the second (8 round) mag.

You use to have 50 secs at 200 setting rapid and 60 seconds at prone rapid when shooting gas guns but they changed that to the 60 & 70 seconds that bolt guns used. That gave us gas gunners the advantage of an extra 10 to check and adjust if necessary.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I figured I'd throw in a bit of history on the AQT using reduced targets.