Apex spring kit for J frames

MLeake

I just installed one. Took about 30 minutes. Reduced a measured 15lbs pull to 9lbs.

Need a couple flat-head screwdrivers, a pair of needle nose pliers, a vice-grips and rag, and some grease. Edit: and a paper clip.

If I can do it, at least 75% of you can so it. Shop was not my strong suit in school.

Apex has easy to follow videos on YouTube.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Red Cent

Cut two coils off trigger return spring. A very good polish job and mine registers 10#s on the digital. Gotta get a Wolf or ISMI main spring.

Red Cent

My M60-10 is a pre-lock.

Wonder where you start to run into trouble with springs. I think I will tinker some more and run a few cylinders full with Federal primers.
Later.

MLeake

Not rubbing it in, so much as reminding folks that new J-frames can be had in no-lock versions.

Too bad that isn't so for the larger guns, too.

redlevel42

There are those who feel it is a bad idea to fool with the factory springs on a S&W revolver, especially one carried for defense. All my j-frames (all pre-1980) have very acceptable triggers for the purpose they were intended, I believe. My Model 63 (no dash) is one of my all-time favorites to fire double action. It seems that the more I shoot it, the sweeter that DA trigger is.

Red Cent

I carry a Colt Commander.
The M60 is for competition. Last night I worked on it for a while and ran two cylinders of light loads through it. I took the DA pull to under 9#s. Think I will stop. Very nice trigger stroke. Fired all ten rounds.

MLeake

redlevel42, I have friends who have done the same trigger mod. So far, thousands of rounds fired by those guys, and zero light primer strikes.

I have not been able to run mine through the mill yet, but will when I get the chance (which unfortunately won't be for two months; I'm back where the only guns I get my hands on are the issued variety...)