Anzac Day on 25th April. Memories of WWII by an Australian Returned Serviceman.

princess-bluey

On Monday 22nd April 2002, my then ten year old eldest son had a class assignment, which was to be completed before Anzac day.

My son rang his Grandad, my Dad, to ask about the war, but son did not understand much of what his Grandad was talking about, so I ended up talking to Dad. The following is a summary of his war experience...

"Dad joined the Army as part of the 39th Malicia Battalion, which was a unit of the 30th Brigade. He fought in the Second World War in Papua New Guinea against the Japanese. He was 27 years old and had joined the army just after the bombing of Pearl Harbour. The troops left Australia on 7th December 1941 aboard a ship called the ‘Aquitania’. They landed in Port Moresby on New Year’s Eve. The ship got stuck in the mud in the middle of the Bay and they had to unload all the troops and supplies onto smaller boats for the ship to float free. The boats docked at the wharf to unload. The troops then had to hike 7 miles to a place called Jackson’s Strip, which was a small aerodrome, to pick up supplies. The troops were then dispersed to different camps. Grandad was sent to a place called Bootless Bay. The troops then proceeded to march over the mountains on what is called the Kokoda Track.

The arms the infantry were issued with were 1/ Rifle- .303 calibre 2/ Pistol- Dad had a .38 Smith & Wesson 3/ Tommy gun- which was a 9mm Owen gun 4/ Hand grenades 5/ Mortars- which launched 3 inch projectiles. The Japanese infantry were issued with Rifles, Pistols, 4 inch mortars, mountain guns & machine guns nicknamed woodpeckers. (I've emphasised the firearms related bit, so I don't get in trouble! :D)

The mountains they climbed over ranged in height from 2000 to 4000 metres and was quite steep and rugged in places. It was covered in dense rain forest; it was also hot and humid and rained often, as it was the middle of the wet season. As well as having to fight the Japanese, the prevailing conditions were ‘bloody horrible’ and a number of people caught tropical diseases like Malaria, Black Water Fever, Dengue Fever, and there were a couple of others that Dad couldn’t remember the name of. Dad caught Dengue Fever. Leaches were a severe problem and they got rid of the ‘blood sucking buggers’ by burning them off with a cigarette. For food, the men ate ‘bully beef’ and ‘dog biscuits’. A tin of meat and a packet of biscuits were shared between 3 men. Water had to be treated with chlorine to kill bacteria and every night each of the men had to take a Quinine tablet to prevent Malaria.

Out of 1,800 men, only 32 survived, of which Dad was one. Dad was injured fairly early in the battle by an exploding shell. He received shrapnel to his neck and head and was in Hospital in Port Moresby for a few months. His hearing was also impaired after the bomb blast. After he recovered, he was driving trucks and motor bikes as a messenger. (After Mum & Dad had moved to Lavington, Dad was experiencing back problems and went to the Chiropractor who gave him X-rays. The Chiropractor then refused to give Dad any neck adjustments, as there was still shrapnel lodged between his spine & jugular vein. Dad was advised to refrain from heavy exertion or lifting his arms above his head. It was rather ironic to discover this after sixty odd years of manual labour as a farmer and a mill hand at a rice mill!)

The troops were sent home for 2 weeks leave for Christmas in 1943. Dad then returned to Papua New Guinea on a ship called the ‘Nancy Adams’ and they landed at Aitape and fought down the coast to Wewak, as far as the Sepik River (the area that had been devastated by the Tsunami more recently). They returned home and landed in Brisbane on the 31st January 1946, Grandad was in Papua New Guinea for a total of four years.

Dad said it was damned horrible and bloody. If you got any blood on you, from holding your dyeing mate in your arms, then a couple of hours later your uniform would be fly blown & crawling with maggots. Dad was reluctant to talk about it; he was quite choked up and had trouble controlling his tears. Even now. 56 years later, the memories were painful and still fresh in his mind. He received 4 medals for his service."

We were both in tears by the time we'd finished the telephone conversation.

As a little girl, I remember watching Dad during the Anzac day service every year, and I used to wonder why he was crying... so now I know.

Last edited:

princess-bluey

Dad was a bit older when he joined the Milicia, as the army reserves were called back then, apparently he'd tried to join the regular army, but got knocked back at his medical because he had flat feet.

I believe he was 35ish when he & Mum married. I was ten months old when he celebrated his 50th birthday, I was a bit of a late 'surprise', so to speak!

As a little tyke, I remember he kept a .22 & a slug gun or air rifle locked up down in his workshop. He & my older brothers used to go spotlighting for bunnies. The slug gun was used as an effective deterent on any stray dogs who dared enter our yard! I also remember my brother picking off starlings in a nearby tree. They are an introduced feral bird that gives domestic animals mange.

Hirlau

I love to hear those stories. Thank you for taking the time to tell us. Today my son's school had a book fair, I picked out a vary good book for children on WWII. It came with a DVD. This book will be his opening into WWII. He is 11 years old. Good photos/details on WWII, age appropriate with out the blood & guts. I have plenty of references for that later as he grows.

Stories like yours, make me miss my Grandfather. He was a Seabee.

Tuzo

Canberra war memorial

During one of our family visits to Australia in the late 1980's we visited the war memorial in Canberra. By far the most poignant representation of human bravery and devotion we have seen. Emphasis is placed on the notion that the Anzacs who perished are forever young. Most Australian towns have a square centered about a memorial to those who fought against tyranny. This is a fitting reminder to current and future generations that freedom is not free but costs dearly in lives and suffering. The alternative to freedom is more costly.

My family suffered great upheaval in Europe due to the twin surges of communism and facism. My father survived two years of Mauthausen concentration camp. I grew up with the ever present reality of the importance of democratic freedom and the truly evil threat of the alternative.

BlueTrain

I have met or known several veterans of WWII. One served in the Polish cavalry. Another served in the last mounted operation of the British Army, in Palestine. My father, who served in Italy, spent a year as a POW. In all my converstions with these people, the question of wartime service rarely came up. Oh, I'm sure they had stories a-plenty, but I suspect that, mostly, these men were more interested in living their lives in the present.

Another man, a distant relative of my wife, had been a horse artillery officer in the U.S. Civil War (Chew's Battery; the relative was Roger Preston Chew). It is said he would never discuss the war after it was over (He was on the losing side). He preferred to say that he did all his fighting during the war.

Tombstonejim

Dear Princess In case you are trying to document this or your son is using it in a paper of some sort a minor correction that was caused probably by your Dads age or perhaps you just heard it wrong. The attack on Pearl Harbor took place on December 7th 1941. So if your father joined up after the attack he would have joined in December of 1941 or early 1942. I suspect he shipped out to the pacific in December 1942.

My Mother and Father were both at Pearl Harbor during the attack on December 7th. I was born on December 18th in Honolulu.

My Father was an infantryman with the 25th Us inf Div. and shipped immediately to the south Pacific and fought on Guadalcanal and the New Georgia and Marianas. He was just like your father and would never talk about the experience. He was gone untill the end of the war 1945.

These were some tough old guys.

Kleinzeit

princess-bluey, your story warms the heart of an Aussie in Texas who has had no understanding soul to spend his ANZAC day with.

Thank you. My grandfather was in the region, right next door, in Bougainville - a loader-operator in a Matilda tank. It took many years for him to talk about it. He is glad now that this knowledge is being passed on.

princess-bluey

Yes, I know the dates don't add up, I was however, only retelling exactly what Dad told me, straight from the horses mouth! I defy anybody to remember exact dates after that much time has elapsed. I know I couldn't! I was just conveying that it was a hellish, traumatic experience that he was very emotional about. My oldest sister said that he had never spoken to her about it & they were quite close. I gathered from Mum that he never talked to her about it & she guessed that it only got discussed (if at all) down at the local RSL club after the Anzac day services when all the returned servicemen were getting p****d. He would be gone most of the day, came home smelling like a brewery & would go straight to bed to sleep it off.

I had already looked at the digital records kept by the National Archives, so I know he initially signed up for the Milicia in Salsbury, VIC on the 18-3-41. He signed up for the AIF in Port Moresby, PNG on 21-11-43. He served in the 39th, 7th & 2nd Battalians. He was also very naughty & several absences without leave are recorded! It was a bit hard to read the flowery scrawl that passes for handwriting & I'd only be guessing at what some of the military abreviations mean. His medical records are kept elsewhere & I haven't been able to acesss those under the National archives act. I suppose that they may still be held by the Repatriation department.

Drachenstein

My father served in the 95th Infantry on an 81mm mortar crew. Growing up, my father never talked about WWII. It wasn't until after Desert Storm, shortly before I retired from the Army, that we started to talk about things. I lost him in 2005 and a day doesn't pass I wish we could talk again.

Dingoboyx

Thanks Mrs Skull

My dad was a medic in Fiji during the war, he has never spoken about it other than a few stories about flying in the Catalina's (flying boats) and sewing things (like fingers) back on to his mates after some serious tom-foolery :D

He is 85 now, has never spoken about any heavy duty stuff that went on, I don't blame him, I guess/know it was pretty NASTY :eek:

When he and mum come to Canberra to visit me, dad always goes to the war memorial by himself. Must be hard for him, all those memories, good and bad.

I for one am eternally grateful to your dad & mine for their service to the countries (Australia & NZ), and the poor buggers that lost their lives, to get us to where we are today.

Thanks again, and say hi to Mr Skull for me :D