Anything you WILL NOT spend money on?

Sixer

Just thinking about this today as I sit at "work". There are so many accessories available for handguns and random stuff that I often find myself wanting... As with anything else these accessories and items can vary greatly in price - from cheap to super expensive. Some of them I need, others I just want.

Take holsters for example. You can pick up an Uncle Mike's nylon for $10 or you can spend some serious money on a custom Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, etc. Of course there are plenty of "in between" brands that are quality products. This is where I usually find myself on most firearm accessories. I guess you could say I'm a "Don Hume" kind of guy. My holsters won't impress anyone but they get the job done and won't break the bank.

Of course holsters are just one of the infinite number of firearm accessories on the market today. You've got belts, sights, OEM parts, conversion kits, trigger jobs, magazines, safes, ammo, cleaning supplies, safety gear, range bags, lights, and on and on...

Some people like to spend top dollar for top quality on all of the above... Others, not so much. I guess my question is - Are there any items that you refuse to spend a lot of $$$$ on? If so, what are they?

I kind of fall in the middle. I will not pay super high prices for supposedly "special" items, but I do not like to buy cheap junk either. For example, I will not own cheap nylon holsters but I will also not pay huge prices for "custom" holsters either. I have paid big money for custom ones in the past and have found that about all you are paying for is someone's time. Unless you are needing some special configuration, they are no better physically than the mid-range holsters by makers like Bianchi and Galco. Same thing with grips. You can pay a fortune for custom grips, but the best ones I own were not expensive at all. The were the ones from Sarge43 for my 1911's.:)

goodspeed(TPF)

Guns, gun accessories or anything gun related in nature made of POT METAL. :barf: That about covers that now.

Along with that I have to say that pretty much anything of inferior build, quality or workmanship I also tend to stay away from.

It's kind of like helmets for the motorcycles I own. I do not own a $10.00 helmet because I believe my head is worth more than that to me. This philosophy has kept me safe for quite some time now in the 'Cycle arena, as I used to race and translates to the Gun arena quite well. I have seen the difference between a $150.00 "DOT/SNELL" approved helmet and $600.00-$1000.00 helmets after MANY crashes (lol, NO not many of MY crashes:)and can state from experience that although they both fit your head, and are both "safety tested and approved" they are NOT the same in build construction, quality of materials and longevity.

In my training and experience I can say without a doubt that this translates well to the Gun industry. Not just for Guns themselves but also for the parts and accessories available for said guns.

A Glock.

Oops did I really say that? Okay, add a Jennings, Hi-Point, and, to be fair, the Beretta 9000 to the list of guns I won't spend money on.

As for accessories; nope, seems if it looks good or works good, I want it.

#18indycolts

If you've got the money to spend, then by all means buy what you want, even if you don't need it...the key to that is "IF you have the money to spend". I didn't need a laser/tac light for my walther P99 but bought a blast2 for $350. As for the tacticool stuff, I did put some on my 870, mag ext., tac light, heat shield, ar style adj. pistol stock. I could care less what other people think, I like it and if I want to spend my money...the key to that is "MY money" then I'll do it.

You guys are missing the meaning of his question. he is not just asking what you would or would not buy. He is asking are there some items you will pay a lot of money for and others you will only be willing to pay small amounts to obtain. It is more of a "are there certain items where you pay extra for quality while others can be just as good for less money" question than a "do you like this accessory" question. :)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
What is a definition and some examples of tacti-cool?

My definition would be something like:

"Those items which no professional would ever mount on a gun but which have become the subject of internet forums for mall-ninjas; equipment which due to factors such as video games and movies is seen as acceptable on a firearm."

Picture?::D
tacticoolAR15.jpg

He is asking are there some items you will pay a lot of money for and others you will only be willing to pay small amounts to obtain.

Well, in that category are things like "range bags", paper targets, cleaning wizardry, etc.

sserdlihc

I will spend more money for a good scope, and reloading supplies(bullets, powder). But will stay on the frugal side with reloading equipment(I use Lee). Dillon makes great equipment but I don't shoot enough to warrant the expense. Lee has been good to me over the years and I don't see the reason in going to something more expensive.

Now, as far as my scopes are concerned, I will spend more money due to the fact that I shoot in alot of low light conditions. It is important to me to be able to see what I am aiming at.

R_CRUZ

I refuse to spend a lot of $$$$ on...

1. range bags
  2. slings
  3. muzzle brakes/compensators
  4. exotic firearm finishes
  5. ear muffs
  6. holsters
  7. magwells

Sixer

You guys are missing the meaning of his question. he is not just asking what you would or would not buy. He is asking are there some items you will pay a lot of money for and others you will only be willing to pay small amounts to obtain. It is more of a "are there certain items where you pay extra for quality while others can be just as good for less money" question than a "do you like this accessory" question.

Thanks PBP! Sorry if I wasn't too clear on that :eek:

Is this too "tacti-cool"?
That just looks like a gun with a nice sight on it to me. :)
Thanks PBP! Sorry if I wasn't too clear on that
No problem. You have to remember some of these guys are barely evolved enough to have thumbs...I am amazed they can use a keyboard. Reading comprehension is not one of their strong points. :p :D ;)

stephen426

While I have seen some very nice looking grips on some great looking guns, I would not spend money on it. I don't mind hogue type grip panels or slip-ons for better grip. Now if you are talking about a safe queen that is more for show than for carry, by all means.

With the tough economy, I keep realizing how many of my needs were really wants and how many of my wants were a big waste of cash. When push comes to shove, you could probably get by with a single handgun for self defense. Since we are not minimalists, we could add a shotgun for home defense and a hunting rifle. Everything else is superfluous. Now if you can afford more, than more power to you!