Anything negitive?

.357 mag

Is there there anything wrong with getting my 66-2 cut for moon clips? Any problems, concerns, ANYTHING?

Any thoughts on who to do the work? I was thinking Pinnacle .http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/ . Any concerns?

Do I have to use the TK custom clips 10-$39.95 or Can I use different clips? What does everyone else use?

Any help will be great.

thanks

.357 mag

azredhawk44

Clips are expensive. Everyone seems to be 10/$40.

I have a project gun that isn't "quite" finished yet that is cut for moonclips for a rimmed cartridge.

BigJimP

Maybe I'm confused - but why would you want to mess with moon clips on a caliber like .357 mag .... even if you can do it technically ??

BigJimP

Ok, I can see that maybe ..... I don't know what the revolver competitors are using for the "preferred" reload method.....

MrBorland

For faster reloads. I'm going to shoot in some competitions.

Just curious - what competition? Does everyone have moonclips or would moonclips bump you from a division where no one has them to one where everyone has them (and a .45 ACP M625)? I believe it would in IDPA, for example. I'm no expert, but seems to me that between making the ESR PF with a smaller caliber and lighter gun and trying to use moonclips with a relatively long cartridge, one might be more competitive without them in a stock division.

.357 mag

I'm just having fun. I don't care what class I'm in. I just what to know if getting the gun cut for moon clips may damage the gun over time. I want to know what everyone (who has moon clip revolvers) use and where did they get it done.

BigJimP

Its only my opinion - but I would say yes, you would severly damage the value of the gun, in terms of resale if you have the cyclinder machined to accept the moon clips.

The only moon clips I ever fussed with was on rimless caliber revolvers in
.45 acp - a model 25 S&W ( and I thought the moon clips were a pain in the butt ) - so I picked up a 2,000 rounds of .45 auto rim brass - and just used those in my revolver. I frankly got bored with it / so I sold the gun - and just went back to shooting .357 mag, .44 mag etc in my revolvers - and left the .45 acp for my semi-autos.

I know TK Custom and others advertise machining new and old revolvers for moon clips in .357 mag / and other calibers ..... but I would think, with practice, using HKS speedloaders, etc would be just as fast once you get the move down but I'm not a serious competitive shooter.

.357 mag

Its only my opinion - but I would say yes, you would severly damage the value of the gun, in terms of resale if you have the cyclinder machined to accept the moon clips.

I don't care about the value. The gun isn't and won't be for sale.

rather-b-huntin

Leave it original and buy a gun that's already cut for clips. Or buy a new non-PC 627 8 shooter and have it cut for clips. I think you'll disappointed with a six shot .357 with clips. You can reload as quickly with Safariland Comp III speedloaders and some practice.

KyJim

The OP is only concerned about physical damage to the gun over time, not whether it would hurt value or cause him to be re-classed in a competition. For even a self-defense/carry gun, moon clips can make sense. I do not have one but I can't see how it would physically damage your gun by shooting with moon clips.

Casimer

I have a Model 10 and a Model 38 w/ this modification - Mark @ Pinnacle had done the work.

The TK clips won't damage the cylinder, and you can still extract rounds w/o them as you normally would. But I'm not sure about using standard moonclips. The TK Custom clips are very thin. They're flush with the cylinder face when the rounds are loaded. A thicker moonclip may cause the case heads to contact the recoil shield. You'd want to ask Mark, or whomever you have do the work, about this.

Something to keep in mind is that 38spl and .357 cartridges aren't ideal for moonclips, and especially thin moonclips. They aren't as rigid in the clip as a 45ACP. But you can find cases w/ thin grooves that will fit tightly into these.

azredhawk44

+1, Casimer.

The moonclips for rimmed cartridges are much thinner since the groove in the case is thinner.

There's benefits to that, though. You can continue to use the revolver as normal with single-loaded cartridges since far less material is removed.

Another benefit to the moonclips: extraction is very positive. You want all the cartridges out? Guess what: They're coming out. No way are they getting bounced underneath the extractor star by accident during a stressful reload.

Moonclip reloads take up less room in the pocket than speedloaders, too.

Once my gun is 100% complete with all appropriate accessories, I'll start a thread on it. But the moonclips offer some neat possibilities to revolvers that chamber rimmed cartridges.

Quentin2

Thought he was makin' fun of you, huh? :D

Hmmmnnn, what else could OP mean... :p

Nah, just pulling your leg, KyJim was helping keep the thread on topic for you.