Anything better than an AR30?

TCman

I am looking to get a new rifle. I have a few semi-autos, abd a m700. I have ab ADL in 30-06, but want something better suited for long range shooting. Im looking at an armalite AR30 in 300 win mag. I reload so cost of ammo wont be a problem. Ive heard reciol isnt that bad either. Is there a better rifle for the money? Something more accurate? Im looking for a rifle that will turn heads when i get it out. What scope would you recomend?

tINY

How about a Savage 12BVSS in 22-250 and get a 6.5x47 barrel? (or a 10FP McMillan as a starter). You don't get more accuracy for the buck.

You could get the Nikon or Burris scopes with the built-in laser rangefinder - that'd turn heads....

-tINY

Lavid2002

indeed, my savage 12 definately turns heads. And shoots sub moa groups with my reloads no problemo. Recoil is not a problem.

TCman

I want something more exotic than a savage. I would like to use this for duty sometime. My department only has m700 in 308. All of them have been issued to guys who have no idea what to do to take care of them.

BlondieStomp

optics - schmidt und bender or us optics

rifle - accuracy international or Sako TRG22 or 42

Zak Smith's website has some good input

demigodllc.com

Desert01

10FPHSPrec.jpg

Savage Law Enforcement Series Model 10FP HS Precision – with AccuTrigger™ Suggested Retail $1,028.00
If you call Savage they have a custom Shop that can turn out the same rifle in .300WM.

Rail.jpg

Seekins 1913 Rail Price $89.99-$99.99
plus rings for scope.

PM3-12x50Military.jpg

3–12 x 50 PM II LP Military Price, you don't want to know.

BUT since your department is using 700's look at a rifle built on a 700 by GA.

Hawkeye_FH

I am really interested in getting a Remington 700pss in 300wm. If u can find one they usually run for $800 to $900 new. The only place that I've seen them in 300mw is on gunbroker though.

GhOsT4436

look into the kimber 8400 advance tactical. its a .300 win mag. MSRP is about $2500... pretty sure you could find it cheaper if you looked hard. ive shot one, and was pretty impressed. id go buy one, if i didnt have a kid on the way. as for a scope. look into any of leupold's tactical scopes...try the Mark 4 er/t.

TCman

The cost of some of the mentioned rifles is too much. Id like to keep the rifle under 1500. I can get a new ar30 for around 1300. I want something that isnt jusr a run of the mill rem or savage.

jaymce

Check with Armalite prior to your purchase and find out what there lead time is prior to making your decision.

Also on the .338 and .50bmg the brake is standard. On the .308 and .300wm the brake is additional as is the bi-pod. So the total will start to add up as you add those options. It is always pictured with those options but they are additional.

armedtotheteeth

No, Nothing Better. i LOVE MINE.
SEARCH ARMEDTOTHETEETH1974 ON YOUTUBE
or click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYG2kSITLE I do pretty cool stuff with my Ar30 and a poisoned jar of peter pan peanut butter.

Another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJqrldgRQ8&feature=related

If you like hitting coke cans at 500 yards, look no further.
I recommend Hornady 180 Gn SSTs behind 71.2 Gns of IMR 4350 They usually Chrony @ 3250 FPS out of mine, well, at least last time i checked.
My best 10 round group at 100 yards looked like a 45 Cal hole

Last i Checked they made the Brake standard on the 300 as mine came with it. The EX 0023 mounts they sell are wondermous.

The recoil is on par with my AR15..no kidding. But...I always say HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED!!!!!
heed my words....huh???

shooter_john

I will start by saying that I have no personal experience with the AR30...

But, my roommate from Police Academy recently T&E'd one with Charlie Cutshaw for an article for one of the gun rags, and I spoke with him after the review. His thoughts were that it is indeed good looking, but he found that performance wise, it was very average if not below average. His 100 yd groups averaged at about 1" IIRC, and his final thoughts were that at 1/2 the cost, his FN is head and shoulders above the AR30. I know Josh is a good shooter, and I trust what he tells me on stuff like this wholeheartedly. I had been considering looking at an AR30, but after we talked, I think I'll stick with Savage.

armedtotheteeth

My Ar 30 was very finnicky with loads. It took me a while to get them where i wanted them. dont expect SUB moa accuracy from a box of Green and yellow "whatever they got on the shelf" ammo. If i remeber right. The first groups i shot out of mine where around1.5 inched... on par with most standard rifles, then i found the right load... then i got it broke in. It is accurate now... very accurate.
If you handload, this gun will perform wonderfully for you. Especially with once fired brass, that came out of your own chamber.
again.. take a look at the Hornday 180 SSTS
Gamekings also worked pretty well, but the SSTs are better.

chuter

Between three of us we have two AR-50's, a Grizzly and an AR-30 for long reach rifles. The 30 is my buddy's in .338. We have all shot the AR-30 up to 500 yds. The .338 will out perform the 300mag (another friend has a Ruger in 300mag). We have seen no problems with accuracy and am surprised to see those comments. IMHO, the AR-30 is a great package and excellent value for that caliber.