Anyone with Simichrome experience?

MemphisJim

I recently acquired a plated S&W 686 that I'd like to clean up some. A friend recommended Simichrome. Anyone have experience with it? Many thanks.

Blue Steel

It is a very good metal polish. I use it for brass, and don't see why it wouldn't work on a non-finished gun like a stainless 686. If the gun has been finished or nickel-plated or something I'm not sure.

I would try it on a small stop under the grips just to see.

geetarman

Simichrome is very good but it is abrasive. If you want to clean up a plated gun, just be careful how hard you rub. I do not know what the thickness of plating is but I can imagine you will kick yourself if you rub enough to break through to the metal underneath. Also keep in mind that the polish, being an abrasive, CAN get to areas you may not want to have abraded.

For stainless steel, often you need nothing more than a fine abrasive pad that you can get in many different grits. Just remember that the more you use it on one particular area, you may have to work on the whole gun to keep the overall appearance the same.

Sometimes it is just nice to think about those "character" dings that guns get and just leave them alone unless function is compromised.:D

RickB

I've used Flitz on a nickeled gun, and it works well. After sitting in the safe for six months, a dull cloudiness has appeared, so it's time to wipe it down again. I try to put a very small amount of polish on a soft cloth, such as a large bore patch, and go over the gun in detail. The gun doesn't get shot (much), so I'm not trying to "polish out" marks, just giving the gun a good overall rub-down.

gyvel

I recently acquired a plated S&W 686 that I'd like to clean up some. A friend recommended Simichrome. Anyone have experience with it? Many thanks.

The 686 is a stainless gun. Are you sure it's been plated???

old bear

simichrome use.

Simichrome is an excellent product; I have used it for years. If your pistol is chrome plated a trip to the auto parts store will save you some money just get a can of good polish and a can of wax. Use the polish first to clean and remove any fine scratches then a fine coat of wax to protect the finish. Remember to keep both out of the works and wipe off any excess.

Bill DeShivs

There would be no reason to plate a stainless gun. If it is polished stainless, Simichrome will keep it shiny.
I have used Simichrome professionally for 35+ years.

LeadFistExpress

It is good

I have used Simichrome as well. It is abrasive and is not for use on plating, but rather for natural aluminum, stainless, brass, etc. I do not think it will do too much for stainless though considering the hardness. Just try some in a stainless steel sink and you will see what I am talking about. I have tried it and Mother's and neither do much for the stainless steel in my sink, but work wonders on softer metals.

I use Simichrome, Mother's and other polishes on the bare aluminum on my motorcycle, my cymbals for my drum kit and other things like that, but use a good chrome polish for plated metals. It is not abrasive and makes the surface shine like crazy. It removes water spots as well but that should not be a problem with a handgun.

Bill DeShivs

Guns aren't sinks. Simichrome will polish stainless. It is a very fine polish, and won't remove rough sanding marks (like in a sink.)
Any metal polish is abrasive-that's how you polish. Cleaners and waxes are not abrasive.

Motownstan

SemiChrome is great stuff I've used it for 40+ years on everything from motorcycle parts to jewelry. The only gun I used it on is a nickle plated Model 10, shined it up nice. I wouldn't do it too often.

Bill DeShivs

The reason the web site states that it is not for plated metals is because there are quite a few people out there that have no mechanical finesse, or just don't know when to quit. So-for the masses, it should not be used on plated metals.
If you know what you are doing, Simichrome is very useful for use on SOME plated metals. It should not be used on gold plating. Silver is usually plated thick enough that it can be polished. Nickel is hard, and plated thick enough to be polished. Chrome won't see much effect from Simichrome-the plating is too hard.
ANY of the platings could be polished through, so if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, take it to a pro.

Malamute

Does anyone know what simichrome polish is made of?

Was curious if it is an non-imbedding abrasive. In other words, would it be OK to use as a bolt lapping or bore lapping polish? I can't find any aluminum oxide lapping or polishing compound in my area.