anyone using IMR 8208 XBR ???

so I'm working on loads for my 17 Fireball, & on the internet I found a recipe for it using 8208 XBR... highest velocity, & lowest pressure... seemed pretty interesting... one of the local shops had a full shelf of it, so I bought a bottle... it must be a new powder, as I've yet to find printed data using it, even a couple of my newest load manuals don't have it in them

I'm getting ready to play... might try it in 223 for my Remington 700 as well...

anyone else ??? comments ???

Lucas McCain

I use the 8208XB in my 223, 22-250 and my 243. I really like it because it meters very accurately is very stable in hot and cold temps. It was developed for the PPC that the bench rest boys shoot. They had a special pet powder called "Thunderbird" that was out of production and there was very little left. So they twisted arms and got a manufacture in Australia to make it and then IMR to distribute it.

But to me the bottom line is ease of use, increased accuracy, very little deviation in velocity, clean burning and stable.

As far as load data 2 years ago hand loader digest had a write up on it in there annual issue that contains all their load data and they listed a lot of data for this powder.

LUCAS... I've been through IMR's site, & didn't find data for 8208, in .243... are you loading "outside the box" ( I do that for a lot of custom cartridges ) or did you find data for that cartridge somewhere ???

thanks for the link... that is the site I'm using... I kinda don't like how it works, I can't see what bullet to use with a certain powder, only what powder to use with a certain bullet... I tried 2 different bullet weights, & didn't see a recipe for 8208 with the .243... must have just picked the wrong bullet weights... that is where I got my 17 Fireball load though...

anyone know of a newly printed manual that has 8208 in it ??? my Hodgdon ( magazine style ) was copyrighted in 2008, doesn't have it in there, & my new Lyman 4th edition cast bullet book doesn't have it in there... my buddy has ( I think ) the newest Speer book, & it's not in there yet either...

higgite

Go to that link and click on the "Rifle" tab. Select "243 Winchester" in the drop down window in Step 1. Then click "Select All" in Step 2. Then click on IMR in Step 3. Then click on 8208 XBR in Step 4. Then click on the big red "Get Data" button. That should get you recipes for 9 different bullets. Enjoy!

SVO

8208 is a fairly new powder that was developed by and for the Benchrest clan. It is supposely a temperature stable powder. I have used it in .223 loads with good results.

In this time of powder shortage, another benchrest powder you may want to try the Accurate LT-32 if you happen to run across it. It works well in .223 and .308 loads.

Lucas McCain

Magnum Wheelman; I am using the data that hand loaders Digest calls out. The mag I got is half full of data for all calibers and numerous components. It's about two years old.

cryogenic419

I bought some of this last year when I just wanted some powder for some 69gr .223 plinking loads and couldn't find anything else that was suitable. Little did I know just how wonderful this powder was. I loaded up a batch to use for my highpower shooting and was rather amazed that it did better than Varget accuracy wise.

It seems very temperature stable, I've shot it in fall, winter spring and 90+ degree summer temps and my loads have stayed consistant. Shorter grains so it meters pretty decent. Seems to be a cleaner burning powder at higher pressures compared to some other powders used for highpower that I've tried out.

MtnCreek

It's my go to powder for 75/77 gr bullets in .223. Before the shortage I was also using it for blasting .223 55gr ammo. Now I'm using whatever is available for that and saving the 8208 for match bullets.

Jim243

Yes I use it for 223 loads and find that it is on a par with H-335 but a bit hotter because of the shorter gains. Very accurate and well worth the money. I have started to use CFE-223 and found that I like that best of all.

Jim

histed

I like it with 40 grn Speer SP in my .223 (model 70). Tried it in the .308 - not so great, but it could be the bullet. That load is driving me buggy! I also tried it with 170 grn FN in my 30-30 with food results. For me, CCI primers worked best. YMMV

Kevin Rohrer

I am using 8208 for .204R.

For .221FB (similar to your .17FB), I am using L'ilGun after experimenting with 4227, 4198, and possibly 8208 (can't remember).

Last edited: