Anyone using BB .45 ACP +P 255 grain loads or equivalent ?

WIN1886

The Buffalo Bore website recommends increasing the recoil spring weight by 4-6 lbs over the stock spring......I'd like to try this load in my S&W 4506 and have a Wolff calibration spring pak that goes up to a 20 lb recoil spring ! I normally shoot standard 230 grain FMJ loads but want the ability to use +P loads . I figure I would have to change back to the stock 14lb recoil spring for the standard loads and use the heavier spring for +P loads or is there a middle ground ( say a 16 or 18 lb spring ) where both loads will work without damage to the pistol ? Yes , I'm new to setting up a semi auto .45 pistol so please help me out , thanks !

I bought a few boxes of 45 Super 230 gr gold dots from Underwood ammo. I've only shot 1 box, 50 rounds so far. The 4506 is a good choice for 45 super, see if wolf has a 22b spring for that gun. I'm shooting this load from a 4566tsw with a 22lb recoil spring. Be Careful and prep your pistol too handle these kind of loads. Also, check the spent shell cases for any over pressure signs. I've shot about 200 rounds from underwood, so far so good. I feel comfortable Reccomending thier ammo, just keep checking for any trouble signs. The 4506 is one Tough Customer. If you have the right weapon and are Smart about what your doing, I say let er Rip

WIN1886

I have heard of the 45 Super conversion for the 4506 but am only interested in the occasional use of heavy bullet +P loads from Buffalo Bore , Grizzly, and such ! I don't think I'll need more than a 20 lb recoil spring for this and maybe the 18 lb spring will work fine ! I just don't want to batter my 4506 no dash since I want it to last awhile !

RsqVet

I would go with protecting the gun first so a 20# spring would be in order in my mind. Then with the 20# spring try your regular ammo after a few boxes of the +p. You may find it works rather well except for lighter 45 loads. WWB being one of them in my experiance, new guns and fresh spring guns rarely liking it.

WIN1886

20 lb recoil spring !

So the stiffer spring will slow down the backward momentum of the slide to help tame heavy +P loads but would also speed up the forward motion. What about using a Sprinco RM guide rod...would this help slow down the forward motion when using extra power recoil springs ?

Last edited:

royal barnes

I've shot 1911's in .45 for a number of years and don't really understand the lure of +p ammo. Any standard velocity .45 acp round will do the trick without the excessive recoil and battering of your firearm caused by +p's.