Anyone used Ultramax ammo in 9mm?

tjhands

Natchez has Ultramax remanufactured 115gr 9mm ammo for $4.89 (50 rounds). Has anyone used this? Feed problems? Accuracy? Looking for cheap 9mm ammo for plinking. Thanks.

Hal

Yes the batch I used was 115 gr lead round nose.
Leading was fair to substancial.
Accuracy was so/so out of my Browning High Power.
In fairness, my HP does not do lead well. I gave up trying to work up a 124 gr lead loading for it and also my HP is not one of my more accurate guns.

Locally Wal Mart sells Winchester White box for about the same price - plus I have new once fired brass w/the Winnie. W/the Ultramax there's no way of knowing how many times the brass has been reloaded.

I also used some of their .38 Spl. 158 gr LRN and lead SWC.
Again, I had a fair amount of leading...
Accuracy w/it out of my Model 19 Smith was outstanding with the SWC - honestly was just a little bit better than my own handloads.

I would buy the .38 spl again, but probably pass on the 9mm because I handload.

Note - I bought both at the range where I was shooting. It was their "house brand" of shoot'em up stuff.

JoeHatley

My local range sells a ton of the stuff. They get a truck delivery every week!!

In 9mm, I've used the 115 grain FMJ. It's pretty good stuff. I'd compare it to Winchester "white box", but the powder UltraMax uses seems a little cleaner.

Good Luck...

Joe

Dakotan

Funny story about Ultramax ammo. A kid came into the shop and said he wanted new sights on his virtually new Ruger P-89 because it wouldn't shoot anywhere near point of aim. :rolleyes:
Well, obviously new sights weren't going to fix his problem. I cleared the gun and got a look down the barrel. It appeared smooth! NO grooves were visible. I asked him what ammo he'd been shooting, and he replied that he had a little under 100 rounds of Ultramax Lead Round Nose "that the dealer at the gun show had given him with the gun" through it.
I got a rod and jag off the bench, wetted a patch, and in front of the guy pushed enough lead out of the barrel to cast a new bullet!
After he picked up his jaw up off the floor, I got the rest of the lead out of the barrel while showing him how to strip and clean the gun (one DIRTY pistol), and sold him some FMJ ammo.
He was back the next day for more ammo and mentioned that the gun was now magically shooting to POA. No new sights needed! :D
Maybe Ultramax has improved over the last 10 years, but you couldn't give me a box to fire in any of my guns.

I look at it this way..... You likely paid quite a bit for whatever pistol you bought, and you want to shoot $5.00 a box ammo through it?
Isn't that somewhat akin to buying a Ferrari or Corvette and putting retreads on it?

FWIW ;) - Dakotan