Anyone used HiViz sights?

cpaspr

I'm thinking of getting a set, plus a new shallow-V rear sight for my Ruger Mark II. Older eyes, you know.

When I did a search of TFL for HiViz combined with Ruger (wanting to check other's experience) I found a reference to Firesights being sold by williamsgunsight.com (http://www.williamsgunsight.com/pistol.htm).

So now I'm thinking about those instead, or maybe just for my Ruger P90. Or both? Help!

Anybody have any experience or comments regarding either, or both?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kozak6

I have a couple of air rifles that came with them installed.

And I am not fond of them. Sure, they pick up light just fine, but I have no need for that. They are very wide, and the front sight is EXTREMELY fragile. It doesn't take much at all to break it.

The dots are also very wide, and the plastic mounting extends up above the dot.

Here is an exaggerated view of sight picture:

stupidhivisights1ru.jpg

cpaspr

HiViz or Firesights?

Kozak -

Are those the HiViz or the Firesights? For the Mark II I can only get the front in the HiViz with a V-notch rear sight (or keep the standard box rear sight). With the Firesights I can get both front and rear. So the red and green you're showing looks more like the Firesights. From what I've seen of their ads anyway.

Hafoc

I've got them on a S&W 686 revolver. It was a semi-special model that came with them. I love them. I have to agree that the front sight looks fragile. On the other hand, I believe the "light pipes" are available individually and are easy to replace.

TrooperSon

cpaspr - what is your intended use?

If for getting good aim at a bad guy at night, I would not recommend. Most encounters where you would need to fire in dark conditions would be close encounters where point and shoot is accurate enough. The hand gun I'd reach for in a situation like that has a tac light to confirm identity of the target. My theory is that if I am in a situation to take advantage of the night sights to get good aim, then I am probably in a situation with enough distance where I can avoid the encounter entirely. I know lots of people like them, but they are not for me. I'll take a good light over H-vis sights. That is my 2 cents.

Hafoc

Um... the Hi-Viz I'm talking about is a brand of fiber-optic sights. It uses ambient light to make a bright dot, and wouldn't be visible in the dark at all. I know my sights are Hi-Viz because that's the name stamped on them. I hadn't heard they made night sights too?

cpaspr

Not night sights

TrooperSon -

Not looking for night sights. These are for target shooting. Primarily the Mark II with a bull barrel, which, for the most part, my wife has claimed.

Going to shoot in my first IDPA match this next weekend, and while I know I can't get any new sights ordered and installed that quickly (even if I wanted to, which I'm not sure I am), I just wanted to hear other people's experience with them. I've reached the point where my visual acuity needs all the help it can get.

Hafoc -

Those are the ones. Not night sights, just ambient light gatherers. The more ambient light, the brighter the dots. The ones available from Ruger come in .090", .110" and .125" diameters, red and green. I'm thinking they would cause better accuracy with the smaller pipes compared to the factory sights on the Mark II, which has a front blade already at .125" or so (didn't measure, going from mental memory).

Billy Sparks

I have a set on a G17 that I used for IDPA and I loved them. For me it made picking up the front site easier and faster. I have since picked up a 1911 for IDPA and intend in the long run to have a set of HiViz put on it.

Mr Kris

I have the firesights on a 44mag revolver and I like them a lot.... they really helped me tighten up my grouping over the regular ramp sight. They're much easier for me to focus on. I did break one of the plastic pieces while installing one though.... but then again, a hammer and a wood dowel probably aren't the ideal tools for installation :p

JDG

I installed the HI-VIZ frontsight on my 22/45. I tried the v-notch, but stayed with the factory rear sight. I found it harder to dot the I, on the v-notch, and like the traditional sight. I like the sights, very brite, even on overcast days.:)

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I've got a factory Tru-Glo Marble front sight on my Browning Buckmark;
and the its green fiber optic sure does gather a lot of light~!:D ;)