Anyone use Speer .224 bullets?

Huskerguy

Found these on Surplus Ammo.com site. They are Speer TNT HP bullets.

$94.99/1000 shipped.

They also carry Montana Golds in .224 which I have never used as well. Only used Winchester, Hornady, and LC.

Anyone know much about this company? Their products and service?

FrankenMauser

Speer makes good stuff. I'm amazed you have never heard of them.
They're one of the largest bullet manufacturers in the U.S. (And produce Speer, CCI, Federal, and Blazer bullets {I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one more}; as well as the bullets for ATK's military contracts.)

One of my favorite loads uses their 52 gr TNT HP in .220 Swift. (That particular bullet was discontinued, but I believe they have a new version out.)

flashhole

The TNT bullets are very high quality and all I have tried have shot superbly well. They also make a super 22 cal bullet for hunting, the 70 grain Round Nose is in a class by itself.

Huskerguy

Not sure how it came across I have never heard of Speer bullets. I have some I load in my 06, 9mm, and 38;s. I just don't know anything about their lighter TNT rifle bullets and this particular model. I don't see a lot of ads for their lighter bullets I guess and couldn't find a whole lot of reviews on them.

The company I as questioning was Surplus Ammo not Speer. I was looking at some AR-15 lowers and this company was recommended. Sorry for the confusion.

crowbeaner

I've used Speer bullets for over 40 years. They shoot like gangbusters in my old .222. It simply loves their 50 and 52 grain bullets with a variety of powders. Most primers work well also, so I guess I'm doubly blessed.
The all time best loads are:
WW brass, match prepped, RP 7 1/2 primer, 21.0 of RL7 and the 50 grainer at 2.130". One hole groups at 100.
WW brass, match prepped, CCI 400 or BR4, 24.0 of BLC2, 52 grain HP, 2.130".

4runnerman

Maybe i should not post,but he asked. Im odd duck out here.Tried them and was very dissapointed in them. Did not group well at all for me. Many different loads.COL's,and weights. Went back to V-Max and Berger.:mad:

Huskerguy

Hey 4runner - you are being honest, can't ask for more than that. Guess I will find out, I just ordered 1K of them before I read your post. What would this forum be like if everyone only wrote good stuff and not their bad experiences?

m&p45acp10+1

I have not used them. For 55 grain bullets I use Winchester 55 grain FMJBT for paper punching. They cost a bit less than the Hornady and work the same with me shooting. For jug popping, and varmints I use 55 grain VMax. I use a charge of 25 grains of H-335 with CCI 400 primers, I have had great results with the load. They shoot woay more accurately than I am capable of milking them for. I would use Nostler BT if I can find them cheaper than VMax they work just the same.

twins

I've tried them in my Rem 700 22-250 varmint rifle and they're fine. Got them to group tightly with mild-average loads. Haven't pushed the load envelope yet so not sure how they do at high velocity. $95/1000 shipped is a good deal for them.