Anyone use Shims for Ops Inc Brake & Collar

5RWill

Was installing the brake and it stops on the crush washer with a full rotation and a fourth of a turn left. Ops Inc's max specs are no more than 450 degrees torque (i assume that would be approaching) but recommends 90 degrees (1/4th a turn). Problem is with the crush washer it lines up like this. With open face of the brake pointing up & down. So i guess i'm going to order shims?
I've tried to get the small webbing facing me/the camera so that i could just torque it half a turn and be done. No matter what i do the large web ends up facing me which would require entirely too much torque.
2ahcyzm.jpg

CTS

The crush washer is designed to be crushed. Go ahead and clock the MD where you want it. That is the point of the crush washer. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

5RWill

The instructions recommend 90 (1/4th a turn) degrees of torque but no more than 460 degrees. After it's finger tight. To get the small webbing at 12 O'clock I thought I would have to go too far but it would be almost a full rotation to get it there. It's sitting at the 3 O'clock position.

Also I was just using my Tipton gun vice not an actual vice. That's probably inadequate right?

CTS

If you have a barrel vise I would definitely use it. I still don't understand exactly. One full turn to get it where you need it is only 360 deg right? They are saying 460 is max? Or you can try a different crush washer. You are using a new one right? They are one and done. Not reusable.

5RWill

Yes new crush washer. At first I thought it was a full rotation and more but it isn't. I need probably around 270 degrees. I'm around a fourth from a full rotation. The question was basically would you get a shims and do it or just over torque it?

Also do I absolutely need a barrel vice? If so I'll just have to take it to a smith as I don't have one. I just used my Tipton gun vice to secure and take the A2 off and was going to so the same for the brake.

Ibmikey

You can easily torque 270 degrees on a crush washer. Make your own barrel block out of two pieces of wood. I have used a set made of plywood and faced with thick leather for the past twenty years and still working fine. Use a box end wrench so there is not the movement of a Crescent wrench.

CTS

Make your own barrel block out of two pieces of wood. I have used a set made of plywood and faced with thick leather for the past twenty years and still working fine.
That or a good set of hardwood blocks like oak or black walnut. I would definitely hold the barrel with something otherwise the receiver is absorbing all the torque.