Anyone use Renaissance Wax on Guns?

rickyrick

Done with the politics for now, I’m not very good at it. Lol.

Anyway, I have some renaissance wax that I use for other projects that are not gun related.
It’s mainly used to help clean and preserve museum pieces consisting of metals non metals and even paintings. It’s relatively expensive but a small amount goes a long ways
I’m wondering if anyone has used it as an exterior protectant on guns. Not talking about using it as a lube, but just on the outside. Should be ok for any finish. What say you, if you know the product in which I am referring too?

Dfariswheel

A number of members on the Colt Forum use Renaissance wax for their collectibles like Pythons and Single Actions.

It gets great reviews, and makes a blued gun really shine as long as the bluing is intact.
It's rather expensive but some people use it on holsters and gun belts.
However, a little goes a long way.

rickyrick

I kinda had an inkling that it would be good on gun finish. Not too concerned about the cost as I already use it in other hobbies.

ballardw

On nicely blued ones like the S&Ws.
Doesn't hurt that Renaissance doesn't pick up fingerprints as easily as plain blue either.

More goes on swords, axes and maces than firearms though...

10-96

I haven't tried the Renaissance, but I've been using regular old Johnsons paste wax for years. Every time I see a mention of the Renaissance, I wonder if I should upgrade, but after a while I realize that if the Johnsons is doing such a good job in my arid area- why bother?

Nathan

I use it on all of my blued guns and fine holsters.....not sure it is better than johnsons

Some interesting reading:

Johnson’s LINK

Renaissance LINK LINK2

BTW, I’m not recommending either, but there is something about the acid in natural wax that the museums don’t like.

Last edited:

reteach

Thinking I'd like to try using that. Any tips on how to apply it to the gun? Does heating it help in application?

OneFreeTexan

Have used Renaissance Wax on all my guns,, for years,,, it iWorks great.,, In fact it works so good, I’ve had no reason to try any thing else.

Dfariswheel

Just apply a coat, let dry, then gently buff with a microfiber cloth.

You may need to use 91% alcohol to remove any oil or grease the first time.

The only hazard with wax is that you have to be certain to get it into all crevices and around features like cylinder releases.
This is where something like CLP Breakfree excels. It creeps into all areas.

Renaissance is reported to be better then Johnson's because it contains no additives that might cause long term damage to ancient museum articles.
It was developed with input from museum staffs.

Note that auto wax is NOT good for guns.
It turns white in areas where you don't get it off and most car waxes contain abrasives to clean paint and can damage gun finishes.

lamarw

I use Ren Wax on all my firearms. I do the same as Dfariswheel mentioned and wipe off and buff with a miracle cloth. I usually apply with a cotton ball which will get into the crevices. I suspect Johnsons will do just as well but there is little smell with Ren Wax. It is sort of expensive but goes a long - long way.

I use a good gun oil for the interior moving parts or gun grease for slides. The Ren Wax is for external finishes. It leaves no oily messes and does not block the view of beautiful finishes and grips/stocks.

Bill DeShivs

Rennaissance Wax works pretty well for guns, as does Johnson's.
Here's the deal with Ren Wax- it's designed to be easy to buff off on pieces that are not handled.

Johnson's is a general wax that can be used on anything, including floors.

Neutral paste shoe polish is designed for use on shoes.

My contention is that both Johnson's and shoe polish will hold up better than Ren Wax on guns and other items that see use. Both are much less expensive than Ren Wax. And yes, I have used them all. I use Johnson's and/or shoe polish on almost every item that goes out of my shop.

rickyrick

Seems like the consensus is that if you have it it will work ok, but not worth purchasing for just guns alone. I use it for other projects as I’ve stated and a small amount does go a very long way.

reteach

Just apply a coat, let dry, then gently buff with a microfiber cloth.

You may need to use 91% alcohol to remove any oil or grease the first time.

I got the smallest jar and followed the above instructions. It does work well. The difference doesn't show up in photographs, at least not the photos I'm capable of making. But the Speed Six I polished up looks better to me.

I use Renaissance Wax on museum pieces that will not be shot.

If the firearm is to be used, use RIG gun grease instead. It's cheaper and be buffed/polished such that it won't be "greasy" (sorry) on touch.

Old Stony

I've tried the renaissance wax a few times and just wasn't impressed with the results. For my guns that sit in the safes for long periods of time, I use the Rig...which does a good job on interior and exterior of firearms. For my muzzleloaders, I give the entire piece a good rub down with Bore Butter and it has served me well. It seems to clean and protect at the same time.

rickyrick

Thanks for the RIG tip, hadn’t heard of it before. I will probably get some of that.

I do use Renaissance Wax for some other hobbys as I’ve mentioned, was more curious than anything since I already have the product. I have some guns that I haven’t shot in a while and probably won’t get fired for a few years.