Anyone use "Loadbooks USA?"

Huskerguy

I have looked at them from the outside for many years, never have looked inside of one. I see Midway has them on sale right now. I know the quality of the paper and such is photo quality which doesn't concern me if the information is truly something I can use.

I have heard that some of the information is outdated and with the plethora of information on the net these days, they may not be a good value. Can I get anything form them that is not readily available anywhere else?

Last edited:

overkill0084

I've got several. I don't use them very often to tell the truth. Now and again I will pull one out as part of a sanity check of a specific load. I shoot mostly cast, so in many cases they are not really an inprovement over my Lyman manual. I would not be terribly shocked if the Lee manual had the exact same data in it as well. After all, it's pretty much just a compilation of existing data also.
In my situation, I could have probably done without them and been none the worse for it.

Last edited:

a7mmnut

They are a great addition for any reloader. I primarily sought out the T/C Contender book for specific data at a time when sources were quite scarce for 7-30 Waters handgun loads. When it comes right down to it, ALL manuals are outdated after a few years. They still contain good, safe working loads, and should not replace your complete manuals nor your reloading digest with your own specific loads. Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" is another great addition, as well as "Hunting for Handgunners" by Larry Kelly and J.D. Jones--IF you can still find them or have the need. You can't have too much info around.

-7-

BigJakeJ1s

Some of the ones I have seen and bought are quite dated. I would not buy one unless I could thumb through it beforehand to assess the relevance to powders and bullets available today, or at least that I use.

Andy

wogpotter

I use them for load data, for .303, 7.62, .38 Spl & .357 Mag, which is what they were designed for. I like the ability to look at several different sources data when checking or working up a load.
Its not current info, probably because of copyright rules, but is certainly workable.
I would not have them as my only source of info as conventional reloading manuals have more information on the reloading process.

jmortimer

Just copies of reloading data from powder and bullet/mold manufacturers assembled in a spiral bound book. I have a couple and like them.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I think they're great if you don't have QuickLoad. I have 2, for 357sig and 7mm-08. There's no quicker way to cross reference single cartridge data, in print anyway.

uncyboo

They are a great addition for any reloader.

Like the 7nut said, great supplement. When I use them I take the averages of the start and max loads to get an idea of where I should wind up. If one entry looks out of proportion to the rest I just throw it out.

Jim243

They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different. You can get better information off the internet from the powder mfg's websites.

Jim

wogpotter

They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different.
Not supposed to be either. They are just all the data minus the tutorials all in one convenient location. I think the point is to have all the info available at once & for less than the cost of one manual you have the data from many.:cool:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Jim243 said:
They are just reprints of everyone else load data, nothing new or different. You can get better information off the internet from the powder mfg's websites.

Jim

They are literally photocopied pages of many different manuals but a lot of the data is not easily available for a low price.

Hornady and Sierra for example. Their data is not online. If I want it I can either buy their manuals, at a cost of $56, or I can buy a load book for $4.99.

Granted, if your loading for 15 cartridges you'd be better off to buy the manuals. When it's 2 or 3 cartridges, the loadbooks are a much better deal.

PawPaw

My kids buy me Loadbooks when they're looking for a cheap Father's Day present. I like them because they are a quick, easy reference. Of course, all that information is available elsewhere, but when you're at the bench and have a quick question, it's easy to take the little book off the shelf.

They're a good supplement.