anyone use binoculars for 100 yd paper shooting

2002gti

i need something to see the paper. i am torn between a spotting scope or pair of zoom binoculars. i would be using the optics to see paper at 100 yards and to look at the moon and stuff. my thinking is that i would get more use out of the binos but the spotter would be better fitted for the shooting aspect. i would be using a tripod for the binos if i were to go this route. looking for some reccomendations, its getting kinda hard to sleep right now.

Parapliers

I used 10X binoculars on the 50 yd range successfully. .22 cal holes weren't easy to see with plain paper targets. Saw some 16X binoculars at K-mart that I would like to have. I use my binoculars every day. If I were going to shoot every day I would get the spotting scope.

2002gti

i actually rarely shoot but just want something for when i do, i would be using the optic much more just pooping around than at the range

Doublestack

I just got the most recent catalog from Natchez shooting supply. They have a Vanguard spotting scope,12-50X50mm with hard case, carry bag and tripod for $99.99 (reg $119.99) and a Barska 20-60X60mm,with tripod and case for $109.99 (reg. $314.40). I have an older spotting scope but was thinking of getting one of these just because they are much more modern, waterproof, and seem to be a good deal. I use binoculars out to 50 yards, but cannot see .22 holes with them. The spotting scope has uses than just at the range as well.

DS

NESHOOTER

the barska 20x60x60 well its twin is at wally world for 59.00 all thought at higher magification it will get darker not the best glass but it will do fine at 100 zone and the 200yrd I shoot .308 you can see it fine....

hardluk1

Wally world also has a Simmons 20x60-60mm spotting scope $59.95 that is made by Meade,ain't any better. Works very well at light levels most cheaper ones won't.

Stevie-Ray

I use an old Tasco zoom 15-45X50 and I wouldn't go with anything less than that. It suffices, but there are times I'd like something with a bit more power. The Simmons above sounds about right.

rcupka

I use Shoot-N-C targets and a spotting scope. For 100 yard range time a cheap spotter will be worth it. I can't afford the real expensive ones, but it is better than binoculars. i leave it set up on the station next to me and then can just lean over and see the shot placement.

oneounceload

I use Shoot-N-C targets

Those work really good and show up easily, even with my old eyes. I prefer a good spotting scope and mine, from LL Bean over 20 years ago, is a 30X version - allows me to see out to 200 easily, 300 depending on the target

Rembrandt

From time to time I'll use both binoculars and spotting scope....binoculars are compact and sometimes more handy. I use Swarovski 10X42's and if more magnification is needed, screw on the doubler for 20X viewing.

doubler.jpg

binocs.jpg

Maximus856

If you do decide to get binoculars, make sure to use them properly. I've always hated using binoculars, but when I went to a course run by a few scout/snipers and former force recon guys they showed us how to properly use them. It seems like using bino's is childs play but the difference between how most people use them, and the proper way makes things a lot easier. Cup the ocular lense (eye peice) about halfway into the palm of your heads, mating it to the side of your eyes, as to block out any light. When holding it, you want to bring your elbows together and pull them tight to your chest. When you go to focus, cover up the left lense and focus in the right. Then do the same for the opposite side, and after that you can make any minor adjustments as needed. Like I said, it doesnt sound like a huge deal but it made quite the difference during observations.

-Max