Anyone use "Between the belt and the waistband" carry?

Futo Inu

My new Milt Sparks belt slide holster has slots to wear it either outside the belt (on the belt), or inside the belt (between the belt and waistband. I plan on using it outside the belt, and see no advantage to BTBATW - it's less comfortable and shortens usable belt length. So, am I missing anything? Anyone use BTBATW? If so, how come?

Christopher II

Yup. It seems a bit more stable than having the holster flopping around on the outside of the belt. It also pulls the butt of the gun in a bit tighter.

I use a Galco Combat Master with an oversize Ted Blocker belt (40"; my waist size is 34".)

- Chris

Penman

Sounds like you have a "Mirage" holster. It was designed for carry between the belt and the slacks. The belt provides the tension against the holster and gun for retention. The belt loop section of this holster is a little narrow for carrying on the outside of the belt, and the leather in that section is a little on the light side for the stress of supporting a full sized gun.

Hemicuda

I use a Galco Jak-Slide holster... it goes between the belt and waistband... it keeps the gun just a bit more secure, and it also pulls it in closer... it is ALOT harder to see, and prints ALOT less when between the belt and the waistband...

pogo2

I also ditto what Hemicuda said about the Galco JAK slide holster and similar designs. The JAK slide has become one of my favorite holsters for guns like the Glock 19/23 models, because it pulls the gun tighter into my side and prints less that anything else I have found. I think it is because of the belt "over" the gun and holster, which exerts an inward force on the gun and really pulls it tight compared to conventional holsters, where the holster and gun are hanging from the belt. It gives you one of the advantages of inside waistband carry without having to get larger pants sizes.

The JAK slide does require your belt to be slightly longer, or to be secured in a different belt hole than normal. I have found that one belt hole more is usually adequate.

The JAK slide also does not look much like a holster to most people, so you could actually remove the gun and leave the JAK slide on your belt without being very obvious about what you were wearing. A cell phone might easily fit in a JAK slide holster.

geegee

I carry an H&K .40C in a Mirage holster quite often. The greatest advantage I've found (besides what's already been mentioned, i.e. closer to the body carry), is that if your waist size changes from time to time :rolleyes: , and you prefer IWB carry, you don't need to keep buying different size pants and belts. If my weight goes up, I can still carry comfortably even if my pants have become a little snug (which they've been known to do :p ). geegee

9x19

I wear both my holster and my mag carrier inside the belt and outisde the pants.

Yes. I have to have a longer belt than I would otherwise, but that's easier to do than buying pants two sizes bigger for true IWB carry. Of course, I'm rarely required to go with a shirt tucked in, but on those occaisions, a true IWB holster wouldn't work either, so I carry a pocket size pistol in my pocket.

In all the years I've been carrying, I haven't found a better solution.... for me.

Any good IWB can be worn BPB...i carry my delfatti isp-3 in between my belt and pants most of the time...much more comfortable and almost as concealable....I find this carry more stable for the P7 than outside the belt and prints way less...you can see a dedicated BPB at www.delfatti.com Nice rig but I prefer an IWB which gives me both options....

redrum

IWB

IWB...Uptight, Outa-Sight, but not in the groove!!!

This is the most comfortable holster that I have tried yet. The weapon feels secure there, no wobbling around, EASY access, Don't even feel it when walking or sitting in the car, and even my girlfriend can't tell when I am carrying or not...

T_Carry.jpg

my .02

-Redrum

Rosco Benson

The Sparks Mirage is a clever and practical holster. It is meant to be worn beneath the belt. The extra set of belt slots are intended to make the holster ambidextrous, not to facilitate wearing it on the outside of the belt.

The Mirage holds the pistol's butt in against one's side as well as the best IWB holsters. Assuming a cover garment that is long enough to hide the pistol's slide, it is as concealable as an IWB and more comfortable than most.

Being a Sparks holster, it is also beautifully made.

Rosco