Anyone use a red dot for a AR or other .223? Which? Also, some ACOG content

Futo Inu

Hopefully some of you can help me with this. I'm looking to get a good all-purpose sight for my Bushy (bullpup not AR), and have looked at some red dots and some ACOG scopes. I'm thinking red dot, not only because ACOGs are pricey but also because fast acquistion takes predominance over long-range accuracy in priority (may be doing some 3-gun match type stuff in the future). Of course I want both if possible. So my specific questions are:

1. First and foremost, would you get (or do you have and use) a 1 power red dot, or a 2-power red dot? I noticed that Aimpoint has some 2-power models with 2 moa dots which seem like they may be a great compromise between rapid close-in shots on multiple targets and some decent accuracy at range. But, of course, when you compromise, you don't do anything really well. So, do you think the 2 power is significantly inferior to the 1-powers with 4 or 6 MOA dots when it comes to close in rapid target acquisition, or do you not lose too much in that department with the 2 power? And do you know of anyone else with a 2-power besides Aimpoint?

2. If I go with a 1 power, which red dot/amber dot? The trijicon reflex looks good, and doesn't need batteries, but my question on it is, will the ambient-light amber dot still work years from now after the tritium wears out? I assume yes it will, since the tritium is only for low light situations, and a completely separate illuminating mechanism. The aimpoints look good, so do the C-mores, etc. But will the basic Bushnell work just as well - what am I giving up if I go with the Bushnell or something in that price range as opposed to the aimpoint or trijicon reflex? Also, 4 or 6 or larger MOA red dot - which? Also, is there any other advantage/disadvantage to the older-style long-tube aimpoints versus the short-tube aimpoints, other the the obvious difference of being shorter and therefore not in the way as much of your action, etc.

3. Is there anything inherently better or worse about getting a tube-style red dot, like an aimpoint versus a single-glass "projection" red dot, or vice versa? Six of one, half dozen of the other?

4. In one prior thread here on TFL on this subject, one TFLer recommended the trijicon 12 MOA triangle as the best compromise (use the large size of the hollow triangle for fast acquisition, and the top point of the triangle for ranged shots, I believe is how it works - correct me if I'm wrong). So, sounds good, BUT my question on this is: If you have the gun sighted in for the center of the triangle to be spot-on for short range work (50 yards or less), then when you pull the triangle projection DOWN to get the tip on your 100 or 200 yard target, then won't the gun shoot too LOW? You would need to bring the gun UP for the longer target, not down - so it seems to me that Trijicon SHOULD HAVE have made the triangle upside-down, with the point at the bottom instead, so that when you raise up the triangle to put the longer range bullseye at the bottom of the triangle in order to be spot-on for the longer range (zero it at whatever you want - 100, 150, 200), then when you pull the triangle down for close-in work, you still be on target. So what am I missing, or how do you reconcile or explain this? Or is it indeed a flaw in design, in your opinion? Or, is it the case that when shooting that close in, it just doesn't matter if you're 3 or 4 inches off, you're still accomplishing the goal of a COM hit. I guess I just want something that will hit very close at 50 yards when zeroed for 100 or 150 let's say, and it seems that if you zero the top of the triangle for say 150, to get a point blank range of 0-180, give or take, with the TIP of the triangle, then you'd be a good 3-5 inches high at 50 yards if you moved that big old 12 MOA triangle and centered its hollow center on your 25 or 50 yard target. Clear as mud? And if you use the tip of the triangle for close in work as well, then what's the point of the big old quick acquistion 12 MOA hollow triangle? I suppose there may be an answer to that, and it might be that using the entire triangle is ONLY for EVEN-closer-in-work (5-30 yards, let's say), where you'd only be maybe 2 inches high and easily within COM, and maybe not even that high since the bullet path at that point is just reaching the line of sight, coming from down to up still, until about 30 yards. Hmmm, dunno... hope someone can explain this triangle's purpose in terms of yardage to me.

5. Finally, anyone here have and use an ACOG or other good similar scope? What the hell is the deal with all the models? I can't find a single place that comprehensively distinguishes all the differences in the many many models. Which one do you have? What power? Dot or reticle? Etc.

Thanks in advance. If you have any answers to my questions, please reference the paragraph number above that the quesion you're answering is contained in. Thanks.

Edited: Hmm, it seems upon further searching each of the following brands now have models with 4 different reticles/dots each, selected by a selector switch: Bushnell, "Panaroma", and "ATN" - 50MOA circle with 5MOA dot inside, 2MOA dot, plain 1MOA width reticle, reticle with open center, reticle with 5 MOA dot center, etc...Anyone have experience with these? One example of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1976675220

Last edited:

USMCsilver

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML 1x with a 10moa dot. I like the site and speedy target aquisition is great.

The only downside of a 10moa dot is that at anything about 50 yards or more, you can't really see the target because the dot is so big.

For the cost, the Aimpoint is the best, IMHO.

I have not seen the 2x models in person yet, but I am anxious to check them out.

Click to see my Aimpoint below.

Attachments

• ar wallpaper attach.jpg
    ar wallpaper attach.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 144

yzguy

I don't have one on a riffle but do have one on a Ruger MKII. I have an Ultra dot 4. It allows you to pick from 11 different brightness settings, and 4 dot sizes. Ultra dots are what most of the bulls eye shooters are using also.

I would say that the major advantage of the 1X would be that you can leave both eyes open for a full field of view. (never used a 2X though)

MarineTech

I've currently got a Leupold Gilmore Red Dot sight on my Bushy Dissipator and it works like a champ. I will admit though that I'm seriously lusting after the Trijicon Reflex 2 that a buddy of mine has.

I'm looking to get a good all-purpose sight for my Bushy (bullpup not AR), and have looked at some red dots and some ACOG scopes.

I had been doing the same thing myself and finally decided on a TA11 ACOG with red donut. If you haven't already, the Optics section of AR15 was a great place to listen to people discuss firsthand use of the various optics you are considering.

Ultimately though, I recommend you get hands on with as many of them as you can. Several optics that some people really loved, I really disliked.

1. First and foremost, would you get (or do you have and use) a 1 power red dot, or a 2-power red dot?

Check out Tactical Forums on this one, they have discussed the 2x Aimpoint several times there.

2. If I go with a 1 power, which red dot/amber dot? The trijicon reflex looks good, and doesn't need batteries, but my question on it is, will the ambient-light amber dot still work years from now after the tritium wears out?

I really disliked the Reflex with 12MOA amber triangle. I had the following problems with it. In a bright light with a tan/brown background the illuminated reticle blended in so well it essentially disappered. Shooting from a covered/dark area into a lighter area caused the reticle to wash out. Both of these required that I crank up the polarizing filter to contrast the reticle more but this also made the target dark and difficult to see, especially moving into lower light/shadowed areas. I would take irons over the Reflex and I had difficulty with several of the amber reticles disappearing into the background.

The fiber optic that lights those reticles will continue to work even after the tritium wears out; but the half-life of tritium is 12-15 years (in 12-15 years, your reticle will be half as bright as it was new). Even if half as bright isn't good enough for you, you can get it recharged by Trijicon for less than $100.

But will the basic Bushnell work just as well - what am I giving up if I go with the Bushnell or something in that price range as opposed to the aimpoint or trijicon reflex?

The Bushnell is a lot more fragile than either of the sights you mentioned, although the EOTech (offspring of the Bushnell Holosight) is pretty rugged.

3. Is there anything inherently better or worse about getting a tube-style red dot, like an aimpoint versus a single-glass "projection" red dot, or vice versa? Six of one, half dozen of the other?

They seem pretty close to me; although I thought the EOTech had the edge in speed. I think this is pretty subjective.

4. In one prior thread here on TFL on this subject, one TFLer recommended the trijicon 12 MOA triangle as the best compromise

I'm not aware of a hollow triangle reticle by Trijicon. All I have seen were solid triangles and this made holding over a target difficult as the triangle obscured the target. Trijicon has a new chevron reticle ^ that seems to offer the precision of the triangle without this issue.

5. Finally, anyone here have and use an ACOG or other good similar scope? What the hell is the deal with all the models? I can't find a single place that comprehensively distinguishes all the differences in the many many models. Which one do you have? What power? Dot or reticle? Etc.

Yes I do now - after leaving a puddle of drool on the floor of every place selling Trijicon optics in a five state area for two years. One feature that I strongly recommend for a general purpose ACOG is BAC. This is a fiber optic tube that illuminates the reticle day or night and allows you to use it with both eyes open like a dot sight (you can do this with a plain old scope too; but it is harder to pick up the plain reticle against the background). I think the TA11 and TA31 series are the top of the line; but the compacts have a lot to offer and are good values. The Trijicon website is the best place to see the models and reticles explained.

Jeff White

I mounted and zeroed an Aimpoint on a Bushy Bullpup a while back..

Futo,

Last spring when all the optics dealers were closing out their Comp Ms and MLs for the new M2s and ML2s a friend of mine finally decided to put some optics on his Bushmaster Bullpup. He bought a Comp ML from SWFA and brought it and the bullpup up for me to install and zero (anyone else have this problem, friends depend on you to do their minor gunsmithing? ;) ). I was able to use the mount that Aimpoint used to include with the scope (they don't ship it with the new models).

I had no trouble zeroing it and it was fun to shoot on the bullpup. I'd recommend no bigger then a 7 moa dot. I prefer the 3 or 4 moa dot. It allows you to use the scope out to 200 meters and farther without totally covering the target. These sights are amazing. If you have normal binocular vision you can shoot with both eyes open and it's not at all lke looking through a tube. In fact you can close the front lens cap and it will work like an occluded eye gunsite and the dot will appear to float on the target.

I have a 4x32 TAO-1 ACOG and like Bartholomew, I can't say enough about them. Pricey but worth it. Mine was purchased new in 1989 and it still glows brightly in the dark. The TA11 and TA31 are top of the line.

HTH

Jeff