Anyone tried or are using StaBALL Match

Shadow9mm

Just picked up a pound of StaBALL Match to try in 6arc. Anyone else tried or using this powder? Clean burning? work well in a gas gun? General thoughts?

Shadow9mm

Only reservation I have at this point was that it cost me $52 per pound after tax. Hoping to do some initial testing Wednesday.

stagpanther

Hoping to test next weekend, weather permitting, with the 107g smk.
I've found that the ARC is a "touchy little thing" much like the .224 valk and requires "searching around" for a load it really likes.

Shadow9mm

I got the 75g v-max to shoot a 9 shot 0.85moa group. But the groups on either side all the way out were close to 2moa. Just real touchy on seating depth. Im hoping the 107 smk will be a bit more forgiving since they arent being so over stabilized.

stagpanther

I think 6.5 staball is getting an bum rap; I've found it to be a very close to what they advertise--gets more velocity than a similar powder, burns quite cleanly and reduces copper in the bore. It's my top go-to for 270 win loads. Here are 6 shots (130 gr berger hunting vld's) I took today at 100 yards (one impact was covered by a target dot from a previous session)--normally I would try to shoot at 200 yds but it was so foggy that even at 100 it was hard to see the target. While the group is not match grade it's got the kind of consistency I like and includes the first cold-bore shot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9939.jpg
    IMG_9939.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9940.jpg
    IMG_9940.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 140

Shadow9mm

Just Got my Preliminary results in, It is not suited to 6mm Arc. Velocity is almost 200fps below CFE223 results. SD/ES are better, but not by much.

6arc, 107g smk, 5rnds each
CFE223, 28.8g (0.3g below max) avg 2572, ES 20, SD 7
Staball Match, 27.0g (max), avg 2381, es 14, sd 6

Last edited:

stagpanther

CFE 223 is also one of the better results powder I've used in my ARC AR. I've been eying 2808 XBR, exterminator and VV N140 as other possible candidates for the heavier bullets.

stagpanther

Found a video on-line where I guy working up comparisn of CFE223 and staball match just like you (and presumably went past the gas gun bolt limitation) and he had the same results with lower vel than the CFE 223 loads. Despite that, his staball groups looked better to me.

stagpanther

There used to be a young lady on this forum who went by the name of something like Mel88 I think--she was an early-adaptor of the 6 ARC and got outstanding results--out to 1000 yds and beyond--using an inexpensive monster barrel from sixfivearms (and an inspiration to me to buy my monster barrel). IIRC she used a load powered by Alliant's PP Varmint.

jetinteriorguy

There used to be a young lady on this forum who went by the name of something like Mel88 I think--she was an early-adaptor of the 6 ARC and got outstanding results--out to 1000 yds and beyond--using an inexpensive monster barrel from sixfivearms (and an inspiration to me to buy my monster barrel). IIRC she used a load powered by Alliant's PP Varmint.
Wonder what happened to Mel88, haven’t heard from her for a while. She was a real deadeye for sure.

stagpanther

Wonder what happened to Mel88, haven’t heard from her for a while. She was a real deadeye for sure.
I was under the impression she or her family had a ranch of hundreds, maybe thousands, of acres.

jetinteriorguy

I was under the impression she or her family had a ranch of hundreds, maybe thousands, of acres.
That’ll keep you busy. I used to do a lot of work for a family back in Nodak that farmed over 16000 acres and one day one of the sons stopped in my shop to catch up on what I was working on these days. This was late spring and he was cruising the country to see if things were ready for starting planting. He passed by a standing field of sunflowers that hadn’t gotten harvested the previous fall, probably due to conditions being too wet. While this isn’t an unusual thing the more he thought about it he realized it was one of their fields he had forgotten about. So he called his crew and they came out and took it off. Big farmers, LOL.