Anyone Seen this new Bersa?

DoItRight

To the Group -

Stopped by the brand-new Gander Mountain today and saw (among other things -- they have a great selection!) a Bersa that I'd never seen before.

The Bersa Thunder, 9MM Hi-Capacity

bersahicap.jpg

This not a Firestorm, nor is it the Bersa 9MM compact -- this is a full-size gun -- with 17+1 capacity. The Price was $379.

Obviously, I didn't have a chance to shoot it but I really liked the fit, finish, and feel.

Anyone seen (or shot) one of these?

Edison

I may be mistaken, but I think this is the original Bersa Thunder 9, the way the pistol came to this country in the early 1990s. In one of the gunzines the author talked about how much he liked this particular (BHP clone) pistol. Apparently Bersa stopped importing it when the hi-cap ban went into effect. According to the author, Bersa didn't feel like neutering the pistol's capacity. Bersa did bring out the compact 9mm version ( I have the Firestorm version). Sorry I can't give you particulars on the magazine. I don't need another fullsize 9mm since I'm addicted to CZs, but the price is right, and I've had no issues with my compact.

edison
In love with my CZ-P01
Fighting the allure of an Ed Brown Kobra Karry

DoItRight

Yes, But ...

Edison said:
I may be mistaken, but I think this is the original Bersa Thunder 9, the way the pistol came to this country in the early 1990s. In one of the gunzines the author talked about how much he liked this particular (BHP clone) pistol.
You know, when I first saw this gun, I also thought BHP. Since then, I've consulted our resident expert, Steven A. Camp, and he said that this is not a BHP clone. From there, I did some more research and he's right (like I thought he was gonna be wrong?), it isn't:

bersahp.jpg

You're absolutely right about it being the original Bersa Thunder 9 ... and to my eyes, it's a pretty sharp pistol. Methink's I'll be buying it shortly!

Last edited:

Garand Illusion

I've only handled one, but they are basically the same gun as the 9mm compact only full sized.

Weird that they quit importing them rather than reduce the capacity. The compact 9 they import (which I am the happy owner of one) is imported with a 10 round mag but can be had with a 13 round mag elsewheres. Supposedly that 13 round mag will be available here any month now.

Interesting thing ... the mags from the full size Thunder 9 (17 round) will actually fit the compact model They just stick out the bottom.

Edison

Correction, correction, correction.

Opened up the one gunzine I keep at work (for when I visit the library) and lo and behold, there was the article. The Handguns 2004 annual has an article by J.B. Wood. Five Favorite Nines (Good lookin' -- sweet shootin'!).

The author compared the Bersa Thunder 9 with the Walther P88 (NOT BHP). Sorry about the confusion. I've handled neither so I can't claim any familiarity to either pistol.

"You say you've always wanted a Walther P88, but were deterred by the hefty price? Well, here's a pistol of high quality with all of the P88 features, and at about one-third the cost...." J.B. Wood

a slightly confused
edison

Padawan

Interesting - I'll have to read up about these some more. Looks vaguely "CZ-like" to me at first glance, and appears to be a decent design from an ergonomic standpoint.

DoItRight

That makes sense ...

Edison said:
The author compared the Bersa Thunder 9 with the Walther P88
bersap88.jpg

Yeah, now THERE's a resemblance I can see. Not quite a knock-off but pretty danged close!

Padawan said:
Interesting - I'll have to read up about these some more.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much about it on the Internet. Obviously, I didn't have a chance to fire it but it felt good in the hand. Pointed well and had a nice "heft" to it.

I really think I'll put this one on my list of potential aquisitions.

mikebee

I just bought that exact model from the new Gander Mountain on the southside of Indy. My wife and I both have the Bersa 380 and couldnt be happier with so I thought I would give the Thunder 9 a whirl.

Picked it up for $379 + tax, wiped most of the oil off the exterior and took it to the local range. Shot 150 rounds of WWB through it and 50 rounds of the Winchester HP. No failures whatsoever. Pushing the safety up was a little stiff at first but after 5 or 6 times this went away and switching it to safe was a smooth.

The accuracy blew me away. It may be simply that I am used to shooting a 380 and a S&W 908, both having 3.5 inch barrels, and that the 4.3 inch barrel just gave me more range. But at 21 feet, I was hitting the same hole over and over. I went as far as the range allowed, 45 feet, and was shooting +- 2 to 3 inches from dead center....one or two out of every five shots flew off 3 or 4 inches but that was my error, shaking, flinch, bad finger position etc. and I knew it the second I pulled the trigger. I am typically not a good shot and still somewhat new to shooting, haunted by flinches and pulls, so this accuracy surprised me.

The action on this gun is very sweet. The double action first shot is lighter and smoother than my S&W 908 and I dont seem to pull the first shot as much. Pulling back the hammer for a single action first shot is my only complaint really. I guess I am just used to the size of the 380 and/or I have smaller sized hands. But when holding the gun and trying to pull back the hammer with my thumb, it is a bit of a stretch. Not a bad thing, just something I will have to get used to.

The magazine drops free when you hit the release and slides back in with a nice snap. Loading the magazine was a bitch at first, was pretty stiff. By the third or fourth magazine load, the stiffness was gone and loading 17 rounds into the mag was not unpleasant.

Another thing that surprised me was that I can carry this IWB with relative ease. I did not anticipate this whatsoever and expected this to be no more than a range gun.

However, when I got home, I was curious to see if it would fit in my Don Hume that I use for the SW 908. Surprise, PERFECT FIT! This is the Don Hume H715M 36-1 which is advertised for use with the Glock 27. I bought it for my S&W 908 and use it regularly.

Anyway, the Bersa 9 fit perfectly and it fit IWB just behind my right hip and felt exactly the same as my 908. I am used to thinking of 4+ inch handguns with thick slides like a Springfield XD-9 I used to have (and that was not comfortable IWB for a guy that is 5'9 155 lbs). Not so with the Thunder 9. From the manual safety forward, the gun is relatively thin and is not uncomfortable IWB, even while driving. The grip is certainly thick but that is above the waistline and is pretty snug against the back. However, since the holster is for 3.5 inch barrels, the barrel of the Thunder 9 sticks out the end a little over half an inch...not enough to worry about.

If anyone has any other questions about this gun, let me know. I plan to shoot it some more this weeked.

Here is a picture of the Thunder 9. Still has a lil excess oil on it but a nice looking piece of metal if you ask me :)

Attachments

• thunder9.jpg
    thunder9.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 105

mikebee

Here's a pic with the Thunder 9 in a Don Hume H715M 36-1.

Attachments

• thunder9hols.jpg
    thunder9hols.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 113

dm1333

I shot the compact 9 a while back

It was a very nice gun. I read somewhere that Bersa just did not want to deal with redesigning the gun and mags for a 10 round capacity so they stopped exporting them to the USA for a while. If it weren't for the fact that my Astra is still running like a champ I would invest some money in the compact version.

hksigwalther

The Walther posted earlier was a P88C compact with slide mounted safety. Here is the full-size the Thunder9 was patterned after.

WaltherP88.jpg

I'm glad to see the Thunder9 is back in the market. I will be getting another.

bedula32

If this helps anyone I have the Bersa UltraCompact 9mm which is the same gun but smaller and all of the leather holsters I already had for a SW 5906 work great with it (although a little longer than need be for the compact). I would assume the full size Thunder would actually fit very similarly, maybe even better. Of course that has to be a holster designed for the square triggerguard 5906, not the round. Don't know about really super custom-fit and/or non-forgiving holsters like the Fobus though.