Anyone seen/held/touched the new Oly Arms FN-FAL receivers???

Jack 99

www.olyarms.com

They have thier new FN receivers for $300. Anyone have any personal experience with them? A stripped FN receiver is probably my next purchase (don't trust Gore OR Bush).

brianidaho

I got a look at it at a gun show in Spokane this weekend, the guys from Olympic were there. Its a type 1 receiver, investment cast and finished machined, I believe metric. I'm not sure if they are shipping yet, the one they had was sn 0001, their show gun. This receiver looked like it had taken some knocks as a proto and going from show to show. Generally looked to be well made, nicer finish than the Imbels they happened to have.

The rifle they had assembled as a show one (not for sale) indicated $750 as their "Grade I". It was a STG-58, new barrel, stock, grip. Handguard was new, or close to it. Heck of a lot nicer gun than the $500-550 parts guns I saw. They said their gunsmith had build a sub-MOA one up, but he wasn't sure what he had done with it.

Hope this helps.

Bri

dZ

on the AR list there was a heated disscussion on how Oly claims the gun will use both metric & inch magazines.

Serval

I have one of the rifles Oly built out on their own receivers; mine at least is an inch pattern receiver built out with a metric kit.

It is cut for inch mags, which means as usual that metrics can be used as well. It's even fairly tight so the metrics don't rattle too much.

The cocking handle that came with the rifle was a standard metric fixed knob, but the receiver is cut for a folder. I've retrofitted mine with that, as well as replacing the furniture with better condition equipment.

Overall function and fit is quite good. I've had no problems with the rifle in approximately 400 rounds of mixed mil-surp ammo.

brianidaho

Serval, thanks for the info. I'm looking to build my first FAL, and was planning the Imbel route. The Oly may be a good alternative.

Bri

Serval

Glad to help.

As an aside, I'll be taking some pictures this weekend comparing Imbel, DSA, and Oly receivers (side by side comparisons, etc). If these would be helpful to anyone let me know, and I'd be happy to post or email these off.

cleanerPA

I'd check fnfal.com's forums to hear more feedback. There was some stink about this on the AR list and what I've heard gives me little confidence in this particular product. I'd rather buy an Imbel receiver FAL- if you can deal with a Century, they can be had for about $550. I plan on getting one of these in the near future- the Imbel/Century, not the Oly. However, I've had a good experience with Oly's ARs, FWIW.

Gewehr98

Serval, as for posting the pictures here, please do, I'm seriously considering building up a FAL clone to celebrate the new administration come January 20th...

Snakeshot

I looked at one at a show recently and it looked fine, good detail and finish, but why spend $50 more than for a machined Imbel that will index and function wihout any problems. Oh yeah, it's a US part.

Serval

As a side note, the pictures will be up as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I'm packing to move at present, and my camera apparently went into one of the first boxes; thus, it will likely be the first weekend of January before I get things unpacked enough to take them. Sorry for the delay!