Anyone seen any good online deals on 556/223 ammo?

Johnc

I am looking to stockpile some "just in case" ammo for my Bushmaster. It does not have to be a specific defense load or a target load. A plinker will do. Does anyone have any good internet finds on bulk ammo? What's the deal with the Wolf ammo? I have hear some negative press on the Wolf including one range that will not allow you to shoot it. Also, any strong opinions on using 556 versus 223 in a late model Bushmaster?

TexasSIGMan

I have hear some negative press on the Wolf including one range that will not allow you to shoot it.

That usually stems from the range making side money by selling used brass and not wanting to cull the steel cases from the brass.

Has nothing to do with the quality of Wolf ammo.

I've shot thousands of rounds of the newer version of Wolf through a Bushmaster AR with no problems.

Johnc

Well, I trusted you guys and ordered 500 rounds of Wolf FMJ 223 from Sportsmansguide.com . It is backordered with an expected delivery date of 5/21, but the price looks right. $85.00 for 500 rounds. If any one needs to stock up there is the best deal I could find.

Diesel1

223 vs. 5.56

Also, any strong opinions on using 556 versus 223 in a late model Bushmaster?

You can use 5.56 mm in all .223 Bushmaster rifles. At least as far as the current ones are concerned, however this may not be so with all brands of AR type rifles.
It is also marked at the end of my barrel, 5.56 mm. The 5.56 rounds are made to a bit higher pressure. According to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) 'using 5.56 in a .223 caliber rifle results in an unsafe condition.'

Craig