Anyone See This

ShootingNut

After many rounds, today my S&W 1911 crunched 2 casings as they were ejected (out of 100 rounds).
Caught somehow, and smashed the mouth of the casing into a "V" about
in the middle.
What gives?
SN

Dfariswheel

Dented case mouths are a symptom that the cases are hitting the slide during ejection.
This is why many 1911's have a bevel on the rear corner of the ejection port, so the cases can "roll" out without hitting the sharp edge.

You may need to have the extractor tuned to prevent this.
It's only an issue if you reload the brass.

fastbolt

How many rounds have been fired?

What ammunition is being used when it happens? New factory? Reloads (worn case rims)?

How clean is the extractor? Is the extractor hook in good condition? Not chipped or broken?

Happening on the last round?

When that happens on a 1911 with an internal extractor it's often the sign of an extractor which is weakened and is dropping the empty cases as the last round is being fired (meaning without another round in the mag to help keep the empty case lifted until it contacts the ejector). The extracted cases can hit the front of the (empty) mag lips and have the case mouth caught against the ejection port during cycling, damaging the case mouth. In some cases the case mouth can exhibit a pair of "crunched V's" and have the rear of the case shoved back down and into the mag lips.

This might be an ammunition issue, though, too. Depends on the condition and tolerances of the cases and rims. Might be a couple of out-of-spec cases.

The SW1911 extractor is from a 3rd gen .40 and is nicely beveled. Here's an image showing the inside of the hook and the machined bevel on the bottom behind the hook.

sw1911extractors.jpg

While I've been told that current machining tolerances have been resulting in some extractors dropping into some slides and being within the right tolerance, technically it's a fitted part. It's fitted much the same as a 3rd gen extractor, meaning with the use of a GO/NO-GO bar gauge for the hook's reach (filing on the extractor's adjustment pad if necessary) and a force dial gauge to check for extractor spring tension. The normal range for the spring tension is 4-7lbs at a .010" deflection (movement of extractor during measurement). There's also a Heavier Than Standard extractor spring available if needed for a particular gun or gun & ammunition combination.

Naturally, not being there to examine the gun, ammunition and empty cases there's no way for me to really know what's happening in your case, with your particular gun. You can't diagnose a gun problem online. ;)

You can always wait until the first week of Jan and return the gun to the company for inspection. I think they close at the end of this week for their Holiday break.

Just my thoughts.

Iron Man

I'm not saying this is the case, but limp wristing an auto loader will often cause the FTE you are describing.

ShootingNut

Thanks Everyone

My gun is only a couple years old, and I am a clean freak so dirty chamber is not an issue I believe. I don't think I'm guilty of "limp wristing" either.
I do reload, and will admit to having some casings (range gold), that are somewhat beat up on the heads. Some to the point that they don't want to slide into my Lee Shellholder very good, takes a few tries. Maybe I should pitch those, as I'm not short on any ammo for any of my handguns.
So, as Fastbolt said it very well could be an ammo issue.
Never made a point of a drop of oil on the ejector either, maybe that should be included in my field strip cleanup.
Thanks again guys, appreciate your comments!
SN

goodspeed(TPF)

After many rounds
Have you seen the difference in the size of the extractors on the Performance center guns and your gun? There is a reason for this. S&W knows it too. I would ask for a new gun (a Performance Center gun) because it will just keep happening over and over. Keep us posted. -Goodspeed

a7mmnut

"After many rounds...." was a good clue for me. Lots of extractors accumulate dirt in the grooves they ride in, and are difficult to thoroughly clean out without removal. This buildup increases tension and reduces travel--both causing bent cases. Try Gun Scrubber or brushing some similar cleaner under the spring while stripped. All in all, a few bent cases from an overly taught spring still beats a weak extraction that will turn your pistol into a single shot.

-7-

dgludwig

Does the pistol do the same thing with factory loads? If everything is fine with factory ammunition, it would seem to implicate your reloads as being the culprit causing the damaged cases. And, imo, there's no need to concern yourself about the size difference in extractors between PC and "regular" models. I have been shooting both types for many years and have yet to discern a difference in terms of performance and reliability between the two sizes-both have proven to be excellent.

ShootingNut

I have shot very little factory ammo in my Smith. And, have never had a problem with any caliber that I reload in the past.
After two years or more, this was the very first time it munched the casing
mouths on the two casings while ejecting.
So, I'll see what the next trip to the range with my .45 shows. Maybe a touch
of oil on the ejector will do the job.
All in all the Smith 1911 has been a very good hangun, and very accurate considering who is doing the shooting.
SN

novalty

Sorry for bringing up an older thread. But I just experienced the same problem as ShootingNut, with my S&W1911. My issue happened strictly to some fairly hot loaded reloads. Was thinking that I might have damage to my extractor, but from the pic Fastbolt posted (thanks Fastbolt), the bottom of my 1911 ejector shows the same machining. Factory ammo, and some milder reloads I produced didn't show the same issue. My S&W 1911 has only had about 350 rounds fired through it about, and thoroughly cleaned after each range session. Here is a pic of the damaged case.
DamagedBrass001.jpg

Here is a pic of the head (sorry poor quality), there is a hard strike mark, very similar to a rimfire cartridge strike--guessing from the ejector. The strike mark is on the rim almost on top of the "5"
DamagedBrass008.jpg

The damaged brass was loaded with 200gr LSWC, with 7.0 grains of Unique (Lyman 49th Edition shows 7.5gr Unique max load for this casting).

Last edited: