anyone running 9# hammer spring in their sp101?

2002gti

i just got the wolf spring kit and threw in the 9 pounder to see what it feels like and i like it alot. i havnt had the chance to try it out at the range yet and was just wondering if anyone runs the 9 pounder for carry. also does the trigger return spring make a difference?, dont know if i want to swap it out or not. tia

Tacoma

I couldn't get my new SP101 in 22 LR to fuction reliably with anything less than the 12#. Yes the return spring makes a difference and is easy to change ( just drive out that tiny pin.) Whike you have it appart, polish everything that is rough with some 600 grit. (Especially the trigger return plunger. ) Never did get my 22 lr SP101 as nice as it's 9mm twin but it is pretty decient .

Kamicosmos

I had some light strikes with the 9#. I put in the 10# and the gun has been 100% ever since, even with CCI primers. I also changed out the trigger return spring on mine. Very nice trigger pull now. My gun is the DAO bobbed hammer model.

My SP is my primary carry gun, so when I say it's 100%, I mean it!

D-Ric902

When I had my SP101 customized they put in a 9# spring, I had one FTF with WWB. Anything that I carry in it has been 100% and the trigger is a lot better.

BigBoar

I have the 9 pound mainspring and 8 pound trigger return spring in mine and it works 100% with the magnum ammo I run through it. It was tuned by T. Jacobson though so that can make a difference in what one gets away with. Some say the light trigger return spring gives a slow reset (or none). That is a function of polishing the trigger plunger and mating surface. As to the mainspring what will work is a function of how much friction is in the action, what the firing pin protrusion is (some Rugers are notoriously short) and headspace. Here is a link to doing an action job on the SP-101 over at the Ruger Forum:

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/001028.html

Go down to Iowegan. He is a retired gunsmith and posts there regularly.