Anyone own a Walther PPK or PPK/S?

David the Gnome

I've just about made up my mind that my next gun will be either a PPK or PPK/S. I like the feel of the PPK/S a little better than the PPK but I still haven't really made up my mind. I'm also trying to decide between the .32 or .380. I've been told that you really feel the difference in the two since the gun is so small. Has anyone shot both? If so which did you like better? Do you like the PPK or PPK/S better?

If I were going solely on comfort I would probably choose the PPK/S but I would always have to live with the fact that it's not the "real" PPK.

Your thoughts?

PPK on left, PPK/S on right (Flipped to show difference in size)
waltherppkflipsmallor7.jpg

I own both...

...the PPK and a PPK/S. Both are fine firearms.

Both of mine are .380acp but I have also shot the .32 versions. As far as there being a big difference between the two calibers I just did not see it. The guns are more than heavy enough to comfortably handle the .380acp rounds. Since both the ones you are looking at are the newer S&W version with the bigger tail you will also not have to worry about slide bite.

As far as comfort goes, I have found the PPK to be superior. I do not like that piece of solid steel at that back of the PPK/S grip beating against the palm of my hand. Plus, the PPK is slightly smaller and more comfortable to carry.

My suggestion for the best comfort would be to get the PPK and then invest a few bucks in a nice pair of wooden grips. They absord the recoil a lot better than the standard plastic ones. Here are a couple of the different grips I have.

PPKtulip.jpg

SWPPK.jpg

SWPPK-S.jpg

Flame Red

I have a S&W 380 PPK/S. It is a fine CCW, but there are a few things I had to do to make it so.

1. I found the PPK to be very, very accurate.
2. It never had a mis feed.
3. It eats any type of 380 ammo I feed it.
4. The PPK/s is a blow back design. So it will sting a bit when you shoot it. It is not going to be pleasureable to take it to the range and shoot a couple of hundred rounds thru. That is the nature of any blow back gun.
5. The double action trigger is a bit heavy when squeezing off the first round. This can be helped by replacing the main spring with a 16 lb Wolff spring. No effect on reliability for me. The SA mode trigger is excellent.
6. You need to get the SS model. With a bit a sandpaper, you can take the sharp edges off around the back of the grip. It makes it much easier on the hand to shoot. Only takes about 15 minutes. Take your time and don't run it thru a belt sander. Easy improvment. If you get a blue model you will have to get the gun refinished!
7. I had trouble with the fit of the wood grips show in the picture above - the ones supplied by the factory. The plastic grips are fine, so stick with those. Mine were supplied by S&W and did not fit properly and shifted against the mag and caused all kinds of problems. It is very, very hard to find a set of wood grips that fit perfectly. I must have tried a dozen sets at various gun shows. None fit. Finally I got one that was close and was able to removed extra material to make it fit perfectly. The plastics one that come from S&W are fit just fine.
8. I found a great pocket holster for it. fits nicely in large pockets and looks like a wallet.

Good choice for a CCW. Just a little work required.

STAGE 2

I have a PPK and I love it. I'd pick it again if I had the choice since on of the advantages of the pistol is its compactness.

Magyar

To be honest, I like my PPK in a .380 so much I've been thinking seriously of getting rid of many of my larger bores. That would make my "wifey" extremely happy...;) There are some potent PD ammo out there...
It carries well in my Levi's pocket or in a holster if need be...The reliability and punch really surprised me...I'm sure the .32acp is a winner also...
PPKconceal001.jpg

David the Gnome

Well I made my decision today. I bought the PPK/S .380acp in stainless steel. I picked up a Don Hume leather holster and a 50 round box of ammo along with a cleaning kit to go home with it. I'll be taking it out this Saturday to break it in. Right now the gun is so tight that you can't even field strip the thing because the slide won't come off. The gunsmith at the shop was able to do it and assured me that it just needs to be shot a little bit and that all the new S&W Walthers he's seen have been like that. They also said they would take it back if it didn't improve so that's nice (and also a big reason why I buy from them). I don't have my CCL yet so I can't use a pocket holster yet. I believe I'm going to get one now though. It just feels great strapped to my side. :D

Magyar

Why was it that after seeing that pic I did not even have to look at your profile to know you were in New Mexico? :D

David,

Good choice. I have the same holster and it is very comfortable.

Rmstn1580

I have a Walther PPK/S and I hear from a lot of people that they're afraid of it because the slide always cuts up their hand. Another thing I noticed shooting the PPK/S (.380) that at the range after a couple mags, it starts hurting your hand because the grip is small and your pinky finger wraps around the bottom. One magazine we have (I think it's the factory magazine, but I'm not sure) kind of has a curved bottom that almost extends the grip, and that feels fine. But with a magazine that doesn't curve like that, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know how big your hands are, but it hurts for me.

David the Gnome

Rmstn1580, is your PPK/S the improved version made by Smith & Wesson? They extended the beaver tail to protect against slide bite. The gun comes with two magazines, one has the grip extension and the other doesn't. My hand fits perfectly on the extended grip but it's a tight fit to get the pinky on there with the regular magazine. I'll be sure to report back on Saturday after I've shot it. It can't be any worse than my XD40, right? :cool:

David the Gnome

Here are the pictures. I had to take them with my cell phone since the GF has both of our cameras in Chicago this weekend.

The gun itself:

ppk01ai0.jpg

The Don Hume holster:

ppk02mt7.jpg

Rmstn1580

Rmstn1580, is your PPK/S the improved version made by Smith & Wesson? They extended the beaver tail to protect against slide bite. The gun comes with two magazines, one has the grip extension and the other doesn't. My hand fits perfectly on the extended grip but it's a tight fit to get the pinky on there with the regular magazine. I'll be sure to report back on Saturday after I've shot it. It can't be any worse than my XD40, right?

No, I don't think that it is.

Walter

I have a PPK I bought back in 1994, an Interarms gun, it was the
first gun I carried concealed. Legally.

It is an excellent pistol, shoots anything you put in it. It prints
a couple inches left at 10 yards, but if you know that, you compensate.
I could adjust the rear sight, but it's pretty much a "close-in" gun, so
why bother.

I carry Federal Hydra-Shoks in it, and it has never had any kind of a
failure with that ammo. I don't carry the PPK a lot any more, I
decided to carry a larger caliber pistol. But when I need to carry a
little deeper, with a thin gun, I break out the PPK. I trust it.

Walter

radom

I have had good luck thru the years with this one.

Attachments

• Picture 041 [800x600] [640x480].jpg
    Picture 041 [800x600] [640x480].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 91

michael t

I have a Interarms I carried for years. I still carry it now and then . Their is nothing wrong with a PPK/S if you keep good ammo in it and recoil spring fresh. I also use the 16lb hammer spring and never had a problem with miss fires. Makes the DA a little lighter.
Make sure you only carry and use factory banner mags. I have never found a aftermarket mag to work 100%

blume357

Here's the one important fact about the PPKs

they are a very good & reliable concealment pistol... but probably one of the worst range guns ever....

I prefer the Sig 232 over the Walther but the same is true...I would not want to shoot either more than a few mags. The PPK conceals better than the 230/232.....

re_kenney

I just picked up an S&W PPK.
I've pushed 500 rounds through it so far (300 FMJ and 100 Golden Saber, 100 Hydra-Shok) without a hitch.

It has one curious "problem" I occasionally have to pound it pretty hard to field strip it. I think the lower receiver rail is flared enough to catch the upper receiver.

Other than this glitch the gun has been a winner, 500 rds fired with no malfunctions.

I like it. I like it alot.

Ditto Walter. I usually carry a GLOCK-36. However, from time to time the PPK fits better. So there it is.
It may not pack as much punch as the GLOCK, however I can double-tap the PPK, and I am confident it will work.

David the Gnome

I ordered an extra set of grips to try out.

ppksgripsoq5.jpg

I got them from http://www.gungear.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?25X300536 (down at the bottom of the page). I wanted to get the checkered Cherry Wood grips but it looks like they don't make them anymore. I'm hoping these will improve the grip and make the gun look a little nicer.

I plan to take the edge off the back of the frame too. I could use some suggestions as to what kind of sand paper to use and what grits if anyone knows. ;)

PSP

I just returned from the range and my first experience with my newly purchased, slightly used, Interarms PPK/s in .380. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. In only 68 rounds I had 6 failures. On the first mag I had a FTF. Second mag dropped out after the first shot, resulting in a feed failure of course. After that I had two more mag drops, one light strike, and a FTE/FTF double jam. Accuracy was OK, about as good as my Sig P232. Recoil is as expected however the Sig is nicer to shoot due to the Hogue grips I have on it.

All in all disappointing. I only paid $335 for this gun and it looks brand new, no abuse, very clean and well oiled. Will it improve...I can only hope.