Anyone own a Ruger LCR?

Alan0354

Just want to see those that owner of the Ruger LCR think.

I like that it's small and light, I have been searching in semi auto for a while, when comes down to this size and weight of less than 14oz like LCR, you really don't have very good choice. Semi auto this small and light usually are not very reliable. Nothing is as reliable as a revolver. Only kind that can even touch this weight are mainly 380 only. Those that are in 9mm all have spotty review on reliability. And they are like 6+1. So it's really not a win compare to 5 rounds of +P 38special.

Also I see a 9mm 5 round. It's a little heavier. is this one has SS frame?

Last edited:

Urbanrecon

I have an LCRx I sometimes carry in addition to several other handguns (although not at the same time). Having said that, I'm not sure what the heck you're asking.

LCR 9mm has spotty reviews? I bought the LCR9mm when they first came out and never looked back. Thousands of rounds through this gun.
Typical range session would be to load up 40 moon clips the night before. Well built firearm that has brought a lot of pleasurable shooting. I liked it so well, bought the LCR22 for added training. I like the Ballistics, the moon clips and the price of ammo. (pre riot days)
Check out the ballistics in the chart below.
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ruger-lcr-9mm-review-pocket-9mm-for.html

0OPluvK.jpg

Last edited:

RetiredMajor

I've had my LCR 9 MM for years now. It's very reliable and easy to shoot. Good sights and accurate, too. I'm not sure what you're reading about unreliable. It's a revolver!

reteach

I had an LCRX in .38 spl. I liked it fine. Easy to carry and very reliable, kinda hard on the old hands at the range. When Ruger offered the LCRX in .327 mag I got one of those and sold the .38. I carry the .327, loaded with .32 H&R mag ammo, almost everywhere. Again, light, easy to carry, reliable. It's as accurate as any other 2" snubbie. I, too, got an LCRX in .22 LR as a companion, although I did get the 3" barrel in that one.

That said, I have nothing against .380. With some of the newer loadings, the .380 can perform quite well. When I'm not carrying the LCRX, I'm carrying a Glock 42. Also light, easy to carry, reliable and accurate.

KyJim

I have the LCR 9mm and it is what I often carry when I want to carry “light.” The trigger is very good, making it easier to shoot decently. I carry in an OWB holster I bought from River and made by Mitch Rosen. The gun sits high and tight, making it easy to conceal under a t-sHirt.

Agree with the trigger and the Mitch Rosen. Great holster that does bring the Gun very tight and close to the body. And the trigger is Great!

uxGf2lw.jpg

I love shooting 22'cals for Plinking and training/Practice. And my very favorite is the LCR22 cal. I have so much fun with this gun. And shoot it a lot and it and be very accurate. Great gun for Point and shoot skills.

And the accuracy at fast shooting is so good and the gun so reliable that IF I had to carry a 22.cal for self defense, it would be the LCR22. 8 fast shots to the head, neck and face would mess up anyone's day.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Thanks guys.

I meant the really small and light 9mm semi auto all has spotty review, not the LCR, I want to know how you guys think about the build quality and longevity.

I know S&W has very high build quality using very good material, I have quite a few including model 36 and aluminum 37. 36 is heavier and I don't exactly trust the aluminum 37 as the weak point is where the barrel screw onto the frame. The lower portion of the frame where the barrel screw on is very thin. I don't trust the new air weight can hold up to thousands of rounds of +P.

Also, I have really bad experience with Charter Arm that the internal parts wore out after less than 1000 rounds. The SA notch on the hammer really wore out. That's why I want to hear more about the longevity and quality of LCR

I studied the construction of the LCR, the outer barrel and the frame is one piece and the steel barrel is screwed on at the FRONT of the barrel, not at the weakest point where the back of the barrel meets the cylinder like the S&W, that makes it a whole hell of a lot stronger. This LCR is very attractive.

I never thought I would look at another revolver until LCR, like I said in the first post, for sub compact with this kind of power, I don't think there is any semi auto that can touch this one. They are only 6+1 and all with really spotty reliability to put it politely.

I like polymers, this has a polymer lower frame that reduces weight. how can you beat 13.5 oz. for the +P which has similar power as 9mm.

I have not decided which one I want, the 38+P is so light but the 357magnum is only 3.6oz heavier at 17.1oz. that's only 2.6oz heavier than the S&W air weight snubbies.

lee n. field

Anyone own a Ruger LCR?

I do, for the last month or so. (An LCRx actually. "What. Ever. Same diff.") I've had various other snubbies for the last 12 years or so. Some I still have, some I don't.

Just want to see those that owner of the Ruger LCR think.

I think it's kind of neat. Interesting, very flexible, design.

Trigger is nice. Factory Hogue grip is nice. Barrel crown is much better than that on my S&W 642.

J-frames still have better accessory availability. More grips, more holsters. The nice little Safariland speedloaders for the j-frame .38, don't quite fit the slightly smaller cylinder of the LCR. (5-Star makes a high quality twisty type. $peedbeez makes a push type speedloader.)

I will probably, eventually, swap out the front sight for a night sight or fiberoptic. May, eventually, get myself a lasergrip. (Hogue, who makes the factory grip, also makes a laser version of the same.)

I like that it's small and light, I have been searching in semi auto for a while, when comes down to this size and weight of less than 14oz like LCR, you really don't have very good choice. Semi auto this small and light usually are not very reliable. Nothing is as reliable as a revolver.

Ahh, that old Internet gunboard BS. Revolvers have their own modes of failure.

Only kind that can even touch this weight are mainly 380 only.

A decade or so back I decided, having both an LCP and a snubby revolver, that I'd rather have 5 of .38, in a gun I could actually shoot well, vs. 6 of .380 in a gun that was much more difficult to shoot well. I keep the LCP around for deepest concealment, if and when. I might feel different with, say, something like a Glock 42.

Those that are in 9mm all have spotty review on reliability. And they are like 6+1. So it's really not a win compare to 5 rounds of +P 38special.

Also I see a 9mm 5 round. It's a little heavier. is this one has SS frame?

LCRs in 9mm, .357 Magnum and (I think) .327 Federal, have steel frames, and weight (IIRC) about 3 oz more. The lower powered ones, .38 special, and the various rimfire LCRs, have an aluminum frame.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Revolvers are reliable, the only failure is if you have lint and crap in the pocket work into the part where the arm is pushing to turn the cylinder. It is totally preventable. It's your responsibility if you carry for such critical use to check to make sure it is clean periodically. It is totally preventable. But auto semi is unpredictable, it jam when it feels like, too many variables. Particular the small ones.

I have two S&W j snubbies, with steel frame, I can trust them, not with aluminum frame like I described before.

LCR frame is a much improved design, BTW, the lower part and the grip part are polymer, not metal.

HighValleyRanch

The lower powered ones, .38 special

One thing to consider in choosing either the .38 special light weight version or the 3 oz. heavier steel frame version:
1. The .38 is a +P version and in my other thread I have shown that you can find .38 special +P in the lower magnum range, so unless you plan on shooting heaviest .357 magnum loads all day, you might be better off with the lighter LCR or LCRX. Something to consider. Since most people don't want to shoot heavy .357 in ANY of them.
2. Rubber wrap around the back Hogue grips are the only way if you get into shooting a lot of +P .38 or .357 magnum. Yes the wood grips look pretty until you let off a round or two of heavy loads. Then the frame smacking into the palm of your hand like hitting an aluminum bat into a steel light pole reminds you to put on gloves or the rubber grips!
3. I could pocket carry the lighter .38 but had a harder time pocket carrying the steel .357, but if you carry AIWB, then it doesn't matter.
4. Lighter is your friend in carrying, but heavier is your friend in firing and control. Not that the extra 3 oz makes that huge a difference in recoil control, but you can feel it, and that is subjective.
5. The LCR lines are very well made and hold up well in shooting the heavy loads abiet you are not going to shoot them all day long. But that's the advantage of a revolvers because you don't have to worry so much about whether the loads will cycle your action.
6. I've shot the heaviest BB (Buffalobore) loads in both my light .38 +P and .357 versions and didn't have any problems in recoil or bullets jumping crimp.
5 time 650 ME ft. lbs in an 18 oz revolver!:eek:

Last edited:

Alan0354

Thanks

I know, I have no intention of shooting 357 period. I am not even sure I would shoot +P, normal 38 is plenty good already, I am not fighting a war or go look for a fight.

It's just I am either a steel or polymer guy!!! I really did not feel comfortable with the S&W j frame model 37, I sold it.

Yes, I know, I studied the LCR construction and design very carefully, the design of the frame is so much better than S&W to cover the weakest spot of the revolver( the part of the frame where the barrel screw onto the frame, the lower part of the frame is very very thin if you look at one). The design of LCR doesn't even depend on that part to hold the barrel and thereby eliminates the weakest part of a revolver. the aluminum 38+P is plenty strong.

...........But that's only from the left side of the brain, the right side say go with the 357 and just shoot 38special!!!

dontcatchmany

I and my wife have the LCR 327.

She carries 32 H&R Magnum

I carry Speer 100 gr 327 Federal Magnum. Got it in my pocket as I key this with a 357 Sig G32 on my hip!

Exceptional guns IMHO

Alan0354

I am glad so many people have this gun have have good comments.

A while back, I asked about LC380 in another forum, it was cricket!!!

Cyanide971

Wife’s had an LCR 327 for about a year and she loves it. She enjoys the six round capacity, and has it loaded with .32 Long SJHP which, from watching her shoot, allow her better accuracy and much faster follow up shots over her .38 Special Charter Arms On-Duty (which she also loves), and her prior LCR 357 loaded with .38 Special.

khegglie

Was horrified by the looks when they first came out.
Then I got the .357 version since it is a tad heavier and looked better than the .38 spl to me.
It is a comfortable daily carry.
Good trigger.
The grips absorb the recoil of .357 well.
The .38 spl is lighter and has uncomfortable recoil(to me).

Traded a failed hammer shrouded Taurus for it and never looked back.

unclenunzie

I'd get the 357 and load 38+p for defense. The steel cylinder frame adds 3-4 ounces which makes it shoot easier. But the aluminum 38+p version is so light it's just great for carry, and shoots about as well and maybe easier than the 642/442. I have all three. As to quality they are about equal, and I recall someone running 5000+ rounds through an lcr with no problems or dimensional changes.

In 357 I have fired full power loads in the lcr, but I see no point to that and instead choose lower powered loads like the Remington golden Saber.

And yet nothing beats a good 380 for flat concealment in a pocket. But when I grab a second gun for pocket carry I seem to always grab my kahr PM9. Reliable and I shoot it with confidence.

So sorry I can't help ??????

ciwsguy

Shot one once

38 special. Hurt my hand to shoot it with the factory grips. Was glad when the shooting session was over. It wasn’t hot ammo either.