Anyone loading for a S&W XVR in 454 Casul ?

My shooting buddy on a whim just bought one of these hand cannons from the S&W perfomance center and nearly had a heart attack when he went to buy ammo and it was nearly $40 for a 20 round box. This has a 14" barrel with an interchangeable ported compensator feature. If any of you load for this bad boy or knows someone who does I would love a point in the right direction as to whats out there for affordable brass & bullets and any insight as to load successes you may have. I do of course know to check all loads with refference books and start low and work up so as not to become a Darwin award candidate. Thanks for any help you might provide.

10 Spot

Mystro

I cant believe he would buy a gun like that and not have any idea the cost of ammo. Anyway,...I load a lot of 454Casull. You dont dabble with calibers like this. There is a sizable investment in reloading components if you are actually gonna shoot it and get good with it. I am going to PM you with a idea...

... well he can shoot 45 Colt ammo in the gun...

I also load a fair amount of 454 Casull... My brass is Starline, no matter which dies you use, I like to finish with the Lee "Factory Crimp" die ( I shoot in a Ruger Alaskan, & have jumped crimp on factory loaded rounds before )

... I like to shoot hard cast, gas checked bullets, with deep crimp grooves... I don't get particularly good case life, but put a heavy crimp in a deep crimp groove... so 4-8 times is pretty normal for me from new / unfired Starline cases