Anyone loading 50-70?

ligonierbill

It's a round that has always fascinated me, and it had a pretty big role in "winning the West". Bill Cody shot buffalo with it. Of course, the 45-70 overtook it pretty quickly after 1873, and it's popularity continues today. But the 50-70 got a lot of play before that. No shortage of rifles, either. So, tell me what you're running.

Guess I answered my question. But somebody is shooting 50-70, as components are readily available. If I get going with it, I'll post results.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
I have a friend who has or had a .50-70, I'll be seeing him Sunday, and will ask.

One lesser recognized place the .50-70 lasted after the .45-70 replaced is as a service cartridge was as an "Indian" cartridge. Not for shooting them, for their use. .50-70s were often available to the "peaceful" Indians through reservation agents.

T. O'Heir

No, but Midway lists Starline brass at $26.99 per 20(On sale. Usually a buck each).
Bill Cody shot buffalo with an 1866 Allin conversion Trap Door. 450 grain bullet with 70 grains of BP out of a converted Springfield rifled musket. Done in 1865.

ligonierbill

Just ordered 100 @ $1.08 ea, advertised as 10% off. Also ordered some Lee dies and 50 (we'll see how they work) Montana Casting 450 gr 0.512 bullets. Oh, and I ordered a rifle. Found a Navy Arms Rolling Block #2 made by Pedersoli. It's a reproduction of the old Remington. Looks nice. I can go with black powder, or I have a couple of the smokeless that Lyman lists. I'll be away on business for a few weeks, but when I get back I'll load some and report.

44 AMP

Staff
I spoke with a friend, he shoots .50-70 out of a modern made Sharps. 450gr cast he buys, and a load of IMR 3031.

He didn't recall the exact weight off the top of his head. I'm sure the data is out there to be found.

When the military switched to .45-70, they got rid of rifles chambered for .50-70 pretty quickly. Companies like Schuyler, Hartley, and Graham did a good business in buying surplus rifles and ammunition and selling them throughout the country, but largely to stores and individuals in the plains and farther west.

The .50-70 military load had a good reputation as a buffalo round, and was used extensively.

Some have speculated that Sharps developed the .50-90 Sharps based on the .50-70, but with a slightly heavier powder charge.