Anyone know max load W231 for .38sp?

erikrichard

I've been shooting .357 mags out of my Colt SAA, but I'm also trying to come up with a good alternative .38sp load for less recoil/more accuracy and for use with a S/W model 36 snubnose I'm probably going to buy.
Using 158gr hardcast swc, I tried 4.0 grains of 231 - pretty wimpy, noticeably less power than store-bought 125 gr .38 special fmj.
Im thinking either trying 4.3 or 4.6 - those are the next highest amounts I can go with the Lee disk. I've done some searches, but I can't quite find max safe load data for 231. Any advice appreciated.

Sport45

My first suggestion would be to get a good reloading manual. They always show maximum safe loads. You can also sometimes pick up free pamphlets from the powder manufacturers that show load data.

Hodgdon.com has load data on their website that has WW321 data as well.

(But get the books anyway)

scsov509

+1 on getting books, because at a minimum you're going to want something to help you check load info that is given to you by someone else. That being said, Speer 13 lists the 158 LSWC at 3.8-4.3 for 38 special, and 4.3-4.7 in 38 special +p.

Also, you might try the search feature if you want more info on this bullet/powder combo, since an awful lot of guys here use 231 for 38 target loads. Guarantee you find a lot of helpful information.

erikrichard

Thanks for that info, I'll go with 4.3 - if that doesnt feel right I'll try some different powder. I have searched, but 158gr lswc may not be that popular on this forum for .38, couldnt find any good threads. Lee sent me most of what I need including load charts, but like I said there seems to be lots of disagreement among load data sources.

clayking

I load my .38's with 231 at 4.0. Since these are target loads I'm ok with "wimpy". If I were trying to really hurt and punish the paper I'd go up the scale, but the paper has never really be to mean to me:cool:..................ck

erikrichard

Just to update, I tried 4.3 at the range yesterday and that extra bit did the trick - I couldnt tell the difference between those and off the shelf .38 specials that sell for 3-4x my reload cost.